Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 9th August 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Another Purton Boat wrecks set... OM50mm lens images

Hi All

I've recently purchased an OM-4/3 adapter so I could try out my OM50mm f1.8 lens on my E-3 - specifically for the DoF and bokeh effects. Was up in Purton yesterday morning photographing the boat wrecks there, and had an opportunity to see what this could do, as well as trying my hand at full manual everything!!

So, to accompany this set of IR images from the same location, here's set 2... the Purton Hulks OM50mm set.

Old 9th August 2009

Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Another Purton Boat wrecks set... OM50mm lens images

Hi John, nice set. One and two do it for me (any chance of B/W?). The OM 50mm is one of my favourites too. Something very satisfying about using a mannual focus lens. It makes me slow down and think about each shot, it stops me 'machine gunning' if you know what I mean. Come on, next set please .

Regards - Paul
Old 9th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpaaul View Post
Hi John, nice set. One and two do it for me (any chance of B/W?). The OM 50mm is one of my favourites too. Something very satisfying about using a mannual focus lens. It makes me slow down and think about each shot, it stops me 'machine gunning' if you know what I mean. Come on, next set please .

Regards - Paul
Thanks Paul... my fav's are 1 and 2 too! I must say that I really enjoyed 'stepping back' and having to think a lot more about the shot when I had the 50mm on board. Hence the rather 'arty' feel (phah me - arty... not a chance) to these and the DoF effects.

As for the B&W conversion... I had a go with two, but only really liked the effect of #1 converted to B&W. Here she is... watcha think...? I pushed the processing quite a way as there was plenty in the RAW to mess with.

Old 9th August 2009

Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts

Hi John. Now that I like . One thing about push processing a digital photo, if noise does appear, you can always call it 'grain' .

What other OM lenses do you own? I like to use my 28mm f2.8 as a standard lens, it's an excellent lens.

Regards - Paul
Old 9th August 2009

Hi Paul

The Oly OM 50mm is the only legacy lens I own. When I was 17 (29 yrs ago now!!) I purchased myself an OM-10 plus Manual Adapter... the camera is knackered, but the lens is still fine. I did purchase a 75-150 one touch macro too (the top focal length might not be correctly remembered), but I also can't remember what manufacturer it was made by... neither can I find it!!

I might start trawling through eBay et al on the look out for some OM primes... especially wides as I am really getting into landscape and scenic stuff lately, much more than my bird and nature stuff. I am even considering selling my Bigma...

Old 9th August 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Hi Paul

The Oly OM 50mm is the only legacy lens I own. When I was 17 (29 yrs ago now!!) I purchased myself an OM-10 plus Manual Adapter... the camera is knackered, but the lens is still fine. I did purchase a 75-150 one touch macro too (the top focal length might not be correctly remembered), but I also can't remember what manufacturer it was made by... neither can I find it!!

I might start trawling through eBay et al on the look out for some OM primes... especially wides as I am really getting into landscape and scenic stuff lately, much more than my bird and nature stuff. I am even considering selling my Bigma...
Hi John,

What's put you off the bird photography? You're so good at it! Surely there's room for that as well as landscapes?

Love the wrecked boat, BTW. My kind of subject.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Last edited by theMusicMan; 10th August 2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Hi John,

What's put you off the bird photography? You're so good at it! Surely there's room for that as well as landscapes?

Love the wrecked boat, BTW. My kind of subject.
Hi John

Thanks for that comment, it's very nice of you to say so. It's not that I have been put off bird photography... on the contrary John, I still very much love it and won't be giving it up. What I have gone off slightly though, is the Bigma. I have the 70-300 with the EC14, and together they perform brilliantly, I suspect for me... better than the Sigma 50-500mm. I don't think it has all of a sudden become a bad lens, it is very capable and I have managed many half decent shots with it, but of late I haven't been using it anywhere near as much and it is quite an expensive piece of glass to have sitting there in your bag, doing nothing.

I can't remember the last time I used it to be honest, and that's why I've been thinking of perhaps selling it.

There's certainly room for both birding and landscape photography in my hobby! You haven't seen the last of the bird shots from me I can assure ya!

Old 10th August 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Hi John

Thanks for that comment, it's very nice of you to say so. It's not that I have been put off bird photography... on the contrary John, I still very much love it and won't be giving it up. What I have gone off slightly though, is the Bigma. I have the 70-300 with the EC14, and together they perform brilliantly, I suspect for me... better than the Sigma 50-500mm. I don't think it has all of a sudden become a bad lens, it is very capable and I have managed many half decent shots with it, but of late I haven't been using it anywhere near as much and it is quite an expensive piece of glass to have sitting there in your bag, doing nothing.

I can't remember the last time I used it to be honest, and that's why I've been thinking of perhaps selling it.

There's certainly room for both birding and landscape photography in my hobby! You haven't seen the last of the bird shots from me I can assure ya!

Phew! I was obviously reading too much into your previous post, glad to hear the birding will continue.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th February 2010
Nick

I can't wait to get an adapter! Would you recommend the 1.8 or 1.4? Is one better made? Most people seem to have the 1.8
Old 19th February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very nice series John 1 & 2 are my picks as well, I have to start using my 50mm 1.8 more, it is a great lens and the bokeh is one of the sweet things about the lens. I would like to try something in the 200 - 300mm range sometime, maybe I'll do a little looking around between now and spring and see what we can find. I'll be so happy when winter is over with here
Old 19th February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I can't wait to get an adapter! Would you recommend the 1.8 or 1.4? Is one better made? Most people seem to have the 1.8
Hi Nick

The 50mm f1.8 is more common and more readily available second hand on eBay etc than the rarer 50mm f1.4 - which is touted as being a better lens again.

Don't think though for one minute that the f1.8 is a pushover, it isn't... it is true quality glass.

Did you see my thread on the IR adapters available from China...?

Old 19th February 2010
Nick

No could you post the link please. I'm bidding on a 1.4 50mm on ebay its at 25 currently and has a serial number of over 1million.
Old 19th February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
No could you post the link please. I'm bidding on a 1.4 50mm on ebay its at 25 currently and has a serial number of over 1million.
Here you go Nick... get your order in as they come from China and take a week or so to arrive.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...ight=infra+red

I am delighted with mine... very good value for money, and a darned sight cheaper than the equivalent UK purchase.

Old 14th March 2010

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Hi John,
I have just been watching the item on Countryfile about the Purton Hulks. I would love to visit to photograph these boats, would you be kind enough to let me know how easy it is to access the site and if there are any restrictions for visitors.
Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.
Shirley
Old 14th March 2010

Hi Shirley

You will love visiting and photographing the Purton boats, it's a great way to spend a few hours. Access is very easy, with parking on the canal sides.

Here's a link on google maps to where you can find them.

I parked in the small area just over the canal bridge but there's other areas to park up. Simply follow the canal path for a few hundred yards and you'll find yourself in view of the first few wrecks. Move down onto the grass and you'll then see 'em all!!

The google map will show you how to get there too.

Hope this helps.