Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 25th September 2013

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts
Yet Another Review.

Hello all you expectant EM-1 owners.
If you're anything like me you have a craving for any information on your eagerly awaited new arrival
(Sorry but I'm an expectant grandfather for the first time so I'm being a bit ante-natal LOL)
Anyway I've found another in-depth review of the E-M1 and some more of it's hidden secrets are revealed such as its built in intervalometer. This enables the E-M1 to be set to take 999 images at time intervals from one shot every second to one every 24 hours.
It can be found here.
http://www.ayton.id.au/wiki/doku.php...wisdom_matures

PS What I really like at the moment is the deafening sound of silence from so called experts queuing to denigrate the E-M1, unlike when I bought my E500, E520, E620, E3 & E5!

Enjoy.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to paullus For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (26th September 2013), PeterBirder (25th September 2013), Ross the fiddler (26th September 2013), StephenL (25th September 2013), Xenon (25th September 2013), Zuiko (25th September 2013)
Old 25th September 2013

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts
Re: Yet Another Review.

Thanks for this.

Not so much a review as an insight into much of the rationale behind the design of the new camera. A very interesting read, even though I'm not expecting to swap my E-M5 for an E-M1.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 25th September 2013

Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,339 Posts
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,156 Posts

Yes definitely an interesting read. Thanks for posting the link.
Old 26th September 2013

Thanked 1,547 Times in 1,471 Posts
Liked 1,459 Times in 933 Posts

This was a good read.

I wonder if ian has any insights on why they changed from OLED rear screen (on E-M5) back to LED? OLED is reputed to have brighter colours and less energy consumption - surely a good thing.
Old 26th September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

OLED is expensive and LCD improvements practically match OLED in most areas. The E-M1 LCD screen is just as good as the E-M5 OLED one as far as I can see.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
OM USer (26th September 2013)
Old 26th September 2013

Thanked 1,345 Times in 1,050 Posts
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,176 Posts

Thanks for this. It'll be some more bed time reading.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 26th September 2013

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

... and perhaps another...
Old 26th September 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

I searched on the Tube and found about 11 vids on the new ONE - most from independent reviews & dealers - but all great !

Thanks Paullus for this hotlink http://www.ayton.id.au/wiki/doku.php...wisdom_matures

THIS one is very interesting on "lens development" and I extracted this from it

" Olympus merely says ‘wide-zoom’ and ‘telephoto’ but I’ll add the word ‘fast’ onto both of them. And I’ll go even further by predicting the following:

New Lens 1 The wide-zoom will be very much in the region of 7-14mm (EFL 14-28mm) or 9-18mm (EFL 18-36mm). This will be an adaption of the wonderful FourThirds version but now faster and brighter. And smaller as well.

New Lens 2 The telephoto lens will be either a 150mm, 200mm or 300mm (EFL 300/400/600mm respectively) and will be just as fast. I’ll go even farther and say that ALL these three will appear. It’s just a matter of time, priority and order of appearance.

At this point, I’ll make a few more predictions:

New Lenses 3 and 4 The 60mm f2.8 Macro won’t be the only one. Expect shorter and longer versions to eventually appear. One will be in the 30-35mm focal length while the other will be within the 100-135mm side. All will produce life-size image reproduction without any need for an optical extender or an auto-tube.
New Lens 5 I’ll bet further and forecast a telephoto zoom that will offer a range of between 100 to 250mm or thereabouts. This one won’t be that fast but will still be competitive. The attraction here will be its compact size; yet I believe this will be a PRO lens complete with everything one expects of a lens of this calibre.
Lens features Every single PRO lens will be MSC compatible and many will adopt the Snap-Focus feature first seen in the 12mm f2.0. Equally as many will have other useful features including the L.Fn, which is a programmable button to activate a lens-rated function. All of them will come standardised with the ZERO nanotechnology-based coating.
Gradually Olympus will add enough pro-grade glass to the OM-D System in order to ‘retire’ the FourThirds lens range. Once that happens, the M.Zuiko Digital will become the real Zuiko Digital. I also believe that in time, the name will just become ZUIKO, which is where Olympus really wants to go – reverting to its pure origins.

There will be developments beyond just lenses. The OM-D System will be pervasively a combination of what’s left of the current FourThirds-based E-System plus some parts of the accessories offered to the Pen range and new ones that are being developed to purely support OM-D cameras. For now you will see flash units including the beautiful RF-22 and TF-22 as well as the FL-36R and FL-50R brought over together with their adjacent accessories. From the Pen, the AP2-specific accessories are all available although you’ll probably won’t be needing the VF-1, VF-2 and VF-4 as well as the SEMA-1 options. "

I hope "New Lens 2" shall be a lightweight 300/600 and maybe my Christmas pressie ; holiday and birthday in 2014
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 26th September 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I think and hope you are correct Chevvy. What I'm unsure about is the timescale. Olympus are a small company compared to most competitors, and have neither the staff nor the finance to push these things through quickly. At best, I predict we will only see two new lenses per year. But when we do get them, they'll be crackers!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (26th September 2013)
Old 26th September 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
I think and hope you are correct Chevvy. What I'm unsure about is the timescale. Olympus are a small company compared to most competitors, and have neither the staff nor the finance to push these things through quickly. At best, I predict we will only see two new lenses per year. But when we do get them, they'll be crackers!
Stephen, if and I mean IF - it is true that this camera has received the highest number of pre-orders of any camera, ever THEN maybe Olympus will get those lenses out to satisfy the buyers and generate EVEN MORE SALES !

As has been said, by ? Paullus

PS What I really like at the moment is the deafening sound of silence from so called experts queuing to denigrate the E-M1, unlike when I bought my E500, E520, E620, E3 & E5!

Yeah! Vote for the ONE
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
Old 26th September 2013

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

Thanks for posting this - a nice read. I'm really trying hard to avoid placing a pre-order. Must resist, must resist, must resist, ...
Portfolio Site
Instagram