Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 30th April 2012

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts
The Seaham Excursion

Just to start the thread off. We need someone with intimate local knowledge for an idea of locations. Any volunteers??

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 30th April 2012

Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Re: The Seaham Excursion

This map of Seaham shows where the photographs from the orignal thread were taken if that is any help. It shows roads and footpaths and was taken from Open streetmap (http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=54...om=13&layers=M)

It would depend on other commitments, but if available I'll come along - although as you can tell from the photographs I don't mix with people often My wife calls it anti-social behaviour.
Old 1st May 2012

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm definitely interested in coming along.
Old 2nd May 2012

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Sorry - coming into this thread late after two days of intense wedding shot sorting!!

I know the area fairly well having walked there once or twice a year.

There are two main places to park:
  • one as shown by the P on the map above, near Blast Beach is along a track and is good for walks southwards onto the beach or along the cliff top (there is a choice of circuits including one or two steep short climbs off the beach up to the top of the cliffs)
  • the other in the town centre to the right of where it says North Road (just north of the harbour) - this is good for access down to the harbour area

Walks from the first:
One option is to explore the beaches and cliffs that contain so many photo opportunites and interesting historical background.
It starts with a steep drop down a track from near the parking to the raised 'beach' (sulphurous remains of coal waste tipped onto the old beach, now used to protect the magnesium limestone cliffs from erosion) which is accessible whatever the tide, and the opportunity to explore the industrial debris (rusty ironwork, glass, timber, stone, brick, etc., etc.).
For anyone not wishing to head down the steep section of track, there is the option to stay on the paths along the top of the low cliffs, and if necessary use the easier route donw to the beach halfway along the beach.

A short climb half way along the beach (or the really hardy can scramble up the steep grass cliff at the far end) leads to a walk along the top of the cliff southwards eventually meeting the Hartlepool to Sunderland railway line, near Hawthorn Dene.

At this point there is the option of crossing the line onto a wildflower meadow area before heading back along the railway to the car park.

Alternatively, a path leads down a steep series of steps down onto Hawthorn beach (a mix of a slightly more natural looking industrial waste and rocky foreshore), along the beach with the possibility of crossing a stream (bring suitable walking boots as it is often a case of dashing through shallow water!), and if the tide is out the chance to explore a bit more beach and some rock stacks, before heading back to the stream and up a path to its side.
This leads up the dene, under the railway viaduct and an option to climb up the valleyside to some old WWI training trenches hidden in the long grass to the south east of the viaduct.
Otherwise, the walk continues up the dene a little way, past some previously inhabited caves before crossing the stream (bridge) and up to the wild flower meadows mentioned previously.
Just past the meadows is a large disused but closed off limestone quarry with old heaps covered in orchids in the late spring/summer.

The harbour too has some interesting photo opportunities especially if the waves are being blown by a good wind! The road down to the north pier does seem to get shut off occasionally, although the last few times public access seems to be fine. The pier itself is closed off.

I've made a Google Earth folder with the key parking & walking options, together with warnings for access issues, points of interest, etc. - as the E-Group site only allows zip files rather than the original Google Earth file, I've attached the zip file below - hopefully if you can unzip it, then you should be able to access the Google Earth kmz file which will then show the Seaham walks! Any problems, then let me know.
I'll also set up a web album with some photos, if time allows in the next few days.

Regards
Chris
Attached Files
File Type: zip Seaham Walks.zip (7.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 2nd May 2012

Catkins:

Brilliant! Thanks.

We now need a date. I'm pretty much out of action at weekends until 16th June. I notice that on Sun 24th June there is a low tide at 13:24, which sounds ideal. (from this site)

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

Flickr gallery
Old 2nd May 2012

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
Catkins:

Brilliant! Thanks.

We now need a date. I'm pretty much out of action at weekends until 16th June. I notice that on Sun 24th June there is a low tide at 13:24, which sounds ideal. (from this site)
Sounds good to me - plenty of notice for everybody to get sorted.
Old 2nd May 2012

Quote:
Catkins:

I notice that on Sun 24th June there is a low tide at 13:24, which sounds ideal. (from this site)
Sounds good for me too - a low tide would certainly add to the photo opportunities and good exploring potential!

Regards
Chris
Old 2nd May 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

We could call it the "Low Tide Seaham Excursion", and watch as we all get cut off by the roiling waves in some craggy alcove with a WWII mine bobbing about.

Oh, count me/us in too.
Old 2nd May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
We could call it the "Low Tide Seaham Excursion", and watch as we all get cut off by the roiling waves in some craggy alcove with a WWII mine bobbing about.

Oh, count me/us in too.
And don't forget the Procter & Gamble promotion of free Ariel stain remover gel capsules ('Brighter yellows made ultra white'), together with the Great North Air Ambulance prize for the first photographer to fall into the yellow sulphurous pond on Blast Beach - a free helicopter ride all the way to Staines!

Regards
Chris
Old 8th May 2012

Quote:
Catkins:

Brilliant! Thanks.

Just to add clarity to this as my brain needs organising and we don't seem to have made this a definite event -

Are we all happy to agree that the following:
  • That we will have an E-Group meet at Seaham
  • To make the best of the low tide, we will meet at 11am, Sun 24th June 2012 at Noses Point car park on the site of the old Dawdon colliery(see Google Earth folder with key parking and walking options at http://e-group.uk.net/forum/attachme...5&d=1335958041) - there is a drystone wall / sculpture / seating area just to the east side of the car park that makes for a good rendevous point.
  • There are perhaps two main options for anyone attending this event -
  • - Upper level, mainly on the flat, purpose made footpaths or along grass tracks on top edge of the cliffs, exploring the views of the coast and wildlife of the magnesium limestone habitat - option to use easier access down onto Blast beach or to carry on to Hawthorn Dene area
  • - Lower & upper level, steep descents down to the beachs, explore low tide Blast beach and rocky foreshore, then continue on to Hawthorn Dene and beach (steep, stepped descent), back along through the wildlife meadows/cliff tops, etc. - option to see WWI training trenches - more walking involved.
  • If time allows, late afternoon could be a good time to explore Seaham harbour by relocating to the North Road car park in Seaham. The tide will be higher and if the day is windy then the waves can be good!

Bring picnic, walking boots, walking stick if taking steep route down to Blast Beach (it always scares me, so you can use the longer alternative route down!), camera (!), waterproofs (well, that might just scare off all this rain we're having), etc., etc.
As with any car park anywhere in the country be sensible with not leaving valuables in your car! This car park is well used at weekends and should have plenty of space.

We could perhaps arrange pick-ups for anyone needing a lift to Seaham from Newcastle or Tyne Valley and perhaps other areas of the north, so please, if you have space in a car or if you need a lift, let us know.
You can also get to Seaham by train http://www.northernrail.org/journey/planner/NCL/SEA and by bus http://www.simplygo.com/our-services/drifter/ (Route 60, bus stop at Byron Place which is the new shopping centre near the harbour).

Please check this thread for any changes to the above before the day - this is just the first draft until others agree or disagree!

For those interested, there is a good video showing what this area used to look like when it was a desolate dumping ground for colliery waste, and what it looks like now - http://www.durhamheritagecoast.org/d...rning+The+Tide
Leaflets can also be downloaded at http://www.durhamheritagecoast.org/d...=30&expand=2#2

I'm looking forward to seeing a good turnout from the northern contingent for what is a spectacular location if the weather holds fair - it has so many different aspects to photograph. I was further up the coast at Cresswell on Saturday photographing sea anglers, and the coast was beautiful and the waves spectacularly lit by perfect sunlight.

Regards
Chris
Old 8th May 2012

It's in SWMBO's diary now. Sounds excellent. I'll have space for 2 from Morpeth area.

Flickr gallery
Old 8th May 2012

Quote:
It's in SWMBO's diary now.
!! I had to look it up

Regards
Chris
Old 8th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
  • - Lower & upper level, steep descents down to the beachs, explore low tide Blast beach and rocky foreshore, then continue on to Hawthorn Dene and beach (steep, stepped descent), back along through the wildlife meadows/cliff tops, etc. - option to see WWI training trenches - more walking involved.
  • ...., walking stick if taking steep route down to Blast Beach (it always scares me, so you can use the longer alternative route down!),...
Shall I bring ropes, harnesses, slings, pegs etc?

If wor lass is coming along, and she may, I'll sadly be taking the long way round

Flickr gallery
Old 8th May 2012

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'll be coming up from Norton and can offer a lift to a couple of people.
Old 8th May 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

We have space for two coming along the A69 from Haltwhistle, Hexham, Corbridge etc etc.
Catkins/Chemop get first dibs, speaking of ... PM time for Chemop.