Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 1st March 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts
More Harwich

Following my earlier post here are the further promised (threatened ) shots from my stroll around "Old Harwich".

Another plaque on the Great Eastern Hotel. Harwich seems to have played quite role in the foundation of the U.S. of A.

Opposite the Hotel is the Victorian "Ha'penny Pier", so called as that was the original toll for using it. It now serves visiting yachtsmen ( it even has shower facilities) and the few remaining fishing boats and the foot ferry to Felixstowe which operates in the summer. It also has quite a nice cafe with inside and outside tables and a fresh fish stall. The round building on the left houses a visitor information centre and a small Pilgrim Fathers exhibition.

A recent arrival is Lightship LV18 which served Trinity House from 1958 to 1995 and was the last manned lightship in service. After sevice as a "pirate radio" ship and use in a number of films it has been beautifully restored and is now a permanent museum recording the conditions endured by lightship crews.

At the other end of the quayside in contrast is the modern operations centre of Trinity House.

Across the road from here is the workshop facility and buoy yard where buoys from around our coast are brought for overhaul.

The gantry behind the buoy yard was for loading railway trucks onto the railway ferries which operated a daily service to Belgium until the 1960's.The new Trinity House pier replaced this facility but the railway lines can still be seen where they cross the road and disappear under the new workshop.

On the quayside opposite the Trinity House ops centre is the Merchant Marine Memorial which is beautifully maintained.

And finally, if you've persevered this far, the view from Trinity House pier along the quay to the Ha'penny Pier and across the haven to the giant gantries and ships at Felixstowe Container Port in Suffolk, the largest in the UK.

Thanks for looking.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 1st March 2012

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Re: More Harwich

very interesting post. When I went to Holland a few years ago I took the train to Harwich and the high speed ferry was in a short walking distance from the train. It was interesting both going and returning the estuary leading into that port was so full of ships, all point towards the harbour or coming out. A behave of activity on the water and we were trailing at high speed!!..unfortunately we never saw the "other side" as you described.
Old 1st March 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
very interesting post. When I went to Holland a few years ago I took the train to Harwich and the high speed ferry was in a short walking distance from the train. It was interesting both going and returning the estuary leading into that port was so full of ships, all point towards the harbour or coming out. A behave of activity on the water and we were trailing at high speed!!..unfortunately we never saw the "other side" as you described.
Thanks Bill.
The high speed ferries were withdrawn some time ago. One reason was that it was found that about half an hour after they departed massive waves lashed the beach at Felixstowe and caused all sorts of damage.
A few cruise liners now call at Parkston Quay where you will have boarded the ferry and the passengers can take a guided walking tour around old Harwich. A big thing going on at Parkston now is the assembly of parts for the massive wind farms that are being built off the coast. The assembled parts are then loaded onto massive self propelled installation rigs which take them out to sea and install them.
Plans have been approved for another new container port to be built between Parkston and the Trinity House pier at Harwich but things seem to have slowed down due to the current economic situation.

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 1st March 2012

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

Thanks for that Peter and I am not surprised that those craft are still in use between Wales and Dublin...and I guess other places
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Gordon For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (1st March 2012)