Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,804 Times in 669 Posts
Re: Campus censorship Ďan epidemicí at UK universities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
We know a School Nurse fairly well. Even when our children were at primary school (with hers) she often said that some middle class parents (in particular) are only happy when their offspring are diagnosed with some condition or another because it gives them an excuse for not excelling. Simply 'being thick' is no longer an option it seems.

I wonder whether this could explain the large number of youngsters with so-called 'conditions' and 'syndromes' that were never diagnosed or even recognised when we were at school.
There is a definite willingness to accept a label, mainly because of the way support for the labels is given out, and it is definitely true that some parents play the label game to access better support for their children to gain an advantage to achieve better academic results.

My eldest was diagnosed as dyslexic at the age of 16 - not due to her lack of ability or anything else, but by a knowing teacher who realised that the top grade student in everything except English had an issue. Accepting the label of Dyslexic allowed her to get the resource and help she needed to achieve excellent results in her GCSEs including a C for English (she got ungraded in the mocks!)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 774 Times in 530 Posts

Step sister in laws family is like it, 4 boys, all diagnosed with something or other. Whether it’s real or not, it’s difficult not to assume that the fact they had no boundaries while growing up, were utterly spoilt at Christmas and basically never said ‘no’ to might actually be the truth behind it. One, I think, qualifies for a blue badge, despite regularly breaking, fracturing or spraining something or other playing football. (Yes, I know not all disabilities are visible, but I’m afraid in this case it’s truly taking the mick) the system is wrong, not the people playing it I guess.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,804 Times in 669 Posts

Quote:
I would concur with that Walti, and thank you for being so open about it. I have suffered periods of anxiety myself from time to time and I would agree that whilst the causes of anxiety of often entirely illogical it can nevertheless have life-limiting and life-changing effects. Often it comes down to expecting too much of ourselves rather than any external pressures.

That said, I do not believe that portraying 'normal anxieties' surrounding exams, driving tests, deadlines at work, musical or sports performances and suchlike as a mental illness help anyone at all. Only when anxiety gets out of control and affects the way we live our lives does it become an illness.
Thanks,

The normal anxieties that we normally see are becoming more and more of a pressure to the youngsters of today, and I have genuinely seen massive physical and emotional issues caused by anxiety during the exam periods that my and other children have gone through, and this is due in part to the culture that seems to have developed of pushing the children to the limit and slightly beyond of their capabilities rather than accepting that failure is acceptable.

The biggest issue I have is with SATS - the exams that children are pressured through by the schools... they appear to be of no benefit whatsoever to the child but are how the teachers and schools are measured so the children are pushed and pushed to get better results for the school. Important social and manual skills have been overlooked and pushed aside to achieve 50% of children being able to get to university.... the pressures some children experience are massively outside those that children should be put under!
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jax (3 Weeks Ago), Naughty Nigel (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,567 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
There is a definite willingness to accept a label, mainly because of the way support for the labels is given out, and it is definitely true that some parents play the label game to access better support for their children to gain an advantage to achieve better academic results.

My eldest was diagnosed as dyslexic at the age of 16 - not due to her lack of ability or anything else, but by a knowing teacher who realised that the top grade student in everything except English had an issue. Accepting the label of Dyslexic allowed her to get the resource and help she needed to achieve excellent results in her GCSEs including a C for English (she got ungraded in the mocks!)
Dyslexia and our ability to read and write is an odd thing. Our son found reading and writing English difficult, (he is not dyslexic) and yet he can sight read four of more lines of music at almost any level of difficulty in any key signature without even trying. Music, we are told, uses a different part of the brain to other subjects but helps to wire the circuits, which is why musical children often excel in other subjects but often cannot catch a ball. Musicians are also unusually prone to anxiety.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 182 Times in 124 Posts

I suffered from some form of mental illness following my mum being killed in a road accident.
This was exacerbated after viewing the CCTV recording of the incident.

Some people think those affected just need a kick up the backside to shake them out of it
One of those things that you feel you will never be affected by, big shock when you are.

There is a lack of help available on the NHS, in my case counselling was only offered after being on a waiting list for three months.

Fortunately I recovered without the need for medication or therapy, presumably just grief and shock in my case.
Since then I have been far more understanding of those affected and realise it really is a serious illness
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Thanks,

The normal anxieties that we normally see are becoming more and more of a pressure to the youngsters of today, and I have genuinely seen massive physical and emotional issues caused by anxiety during the exam periods that my and other children have gone through, and this is due in part to the culture that seems to have developed of pushing the children to the limit and slightly beyond of their capabilities rather than accepting that failure is acceptable.

I remember seeing an employment consultant at my ex-employers expense shortly after I was made redundant. One thing he stressed was that you should always strive for a job that is just beyond your abilities, (or slightly beyond what you think you are capable of) and then learn on the job.

Whilst that seems to make good sense in may ways it can enormously increase the pressure when taking on a new job, especially when combined with the normal pressures of getting to know everyone and finding that there are additional roles you were never told about!

As I see it, there is enormous pressure to conform in a materialistic sense today, especially in the most visible ways; to have the right car, the right phone, wear the right clothes, to take holidays abroad (and to tell everyone about it on Farcebook), and to have a house and all the paraphernalia that goes with it. Beyond the basics none of this really matters but the pressure is created by clever marketeers and advertisers who try to make us feel somehow inadequate and incomplete if we cannot comply.

Needless to say I don't drive the right car and I don't have the right phone and I really don't care about it.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 361 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
Needless to say I don't drive the right car and I don't have the right phone and I really don't care about it.
Correct ! BMW if memory serves me right

Jax
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Correct ! BMW if memory serves me right

Jax
I wouldn't want one if you gave it to me.

I was actually very disappointed when I drove a 530 Diesel hire car in Germany and was pleased to get back into my own car. I really don't know what the fuss is about. There is nothing particularly wrong with BMW but they are over-priced and over-rated in my view and seem to come with 'certain expectations'.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,312 Posts
Liked 1,818 Times in 819 Posts

I have received a complaint about this thread. Reading through the thread it seems to swing wildly from open dissent to sweetness and light.

Please think carefully about what you write.

If there are any further problems with this thread I will simply delete it.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
OM USer (3 Weeks Ago), shenstone (3 Weeks Ago)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 361 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
I wouldn't want one if you gave it to me.

I was actually very disappointed when I drove a 530 Diesel hire car in Germany and was pleased to get back into my own car. I really don't know what the fuss is about. There is nothing particularly wrong with BMW but they are over-priced and over-rated in my view and seem to come with 'certain expectations'.
Damn !

Another example of an aging memory !

Jax
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,761 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
I think youíre right. Youíve have learned a trade surely. I was lucky and went straight into an apprenticeship direct from school and not been out of work for a day since. Whether by luck or ability I have no idea.
No, I also left school and served an apprenticeship. I was a bit of a 'loner' and I think that the experience of National Service would have cured me of it.

Jim
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
No, I also left school and served an apprenticeship. I was a bit of a 'loner' and I think that the experience of National Service would have cured me of it.

Jim
National Service was before my time. I think it was rather like boarding school in that some loved it and some hated it but there were few in the middle.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,683 Times in 831 Posts

Seems to be a popular topic today!

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/1...g-of-the-past/

My Flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,761 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
National Service was before my time. I think it was rather like boarding school in that some loved it and some hated it but there were few in the middle.
I was of the age when I should have served, but because of my apprenticeship I was 'deferred'. By the time I'd finished my apprenticeship, National Service had been abolished.

Jim
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,683 Times in 831 Posts

It was before my time but both my brothers did serve and it did them no harm.
Switzerland still has conscription I believe.

My Flickr

Tags
censorship, free thinking, universities