Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 30th October 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,500 Posts
Liked 4,585 Times in 2,184 Posts
Re: My E-M1 is missing - Olympus Service Plus

Yesterday Olympus service was just looking incredibly inefficient; today they have degenerated into a laughing stock - on the premier UK Olympus Users forum which is also extensively viewed worldwide. They need to empower their service supervisor to make an on the spot decision to supply a new camera in circumstances such as this, the cost to the company would be absolute peanuts compared to the damaging bad publicity.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
DavyG (30th October 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
catkins (30th October 2015), Olybirder (30th October 2015)
Old 30th October 2015

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Yesterday Olympus service was just looking incredibly inefficient; today they have degenerated into a laughing stock - on the premier UK Olympus Users forum which is also extensively viewed worldwide. They need to empower their service supervisor to make an on the spot decision to supply a new camera in circumstances such as this, the cost to the company would be absolute peanuts compared to the damaging bad publicity.
Very succinct, well put and accurate.

Thanks for your input and perspective.

Dave
Old 30th October 2015

Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts

Oh no, this really seems to be going from bad to worse. It's good to hear a bit more of the background to this story from Tom, and there is clearly a failure of the system that allowed the two cameras to go to the one address, and in the system that fails to promptly rectifiy the problem on behalf of the client in this process.
Someone in Olympus UK should be rushing a camera at this very moment to Dave, along with a very clear, public and heartfelt apology. Then there needs to be a close look at the process that has created this situation and how best to resolve and improve this service, along lines mentioned here and elsewhere. This process needs to be client biased and involve better communication.
All the best for a speedy resolution Dave, and I hope things are now sorted for you Tom.
Regards Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to catkins For This Useful Post:
DavyG (30th October 2015)
Old 31st October 2015

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
Thanks for posting Tom.

Could you please confirm the serial number of the E-M1 you think is mine?

Could you also please confirm that the camera will not be collected from you until Monday at the earliest?

If you actually do have my camera I fully intend to escalate this as it would appear that Olympus are lying to me as they told me my camera was collected on Wednesday.

To make matters worse, I leave UK on holiday soon and need my camera for the trip, it now looks unlikely that I'll have it back before my holiday starts.

Thanks again.

Dave
Sent you serial number over PM.

I can confirm my response to Olympus that they can issue a pick-up on Monday, but haven't heard back from them to confirm it.
DavyG (31st October 2015)
Old 31st October 2015

Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,344 Posts
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,162 Posts

I've only just caught up with this sorry sage Dave and can only add my support and hope that Olympus get you a camera before your holiday. I can imagine how you are feeling and to be honest I congratulate you on what I think is a wonderfully well controlled and factual thread. The power of this forum is displayed again in that Tom was able to fill in the missing details. Let's hope that Olympus now are able to go the extra mile and go some way to compensate you suitably for this unmitigated disaster that could be reported on here to also reassure the rest of us. A lens cloth would be an insult in my view.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
DavyG (31st October 2015), Zuiko (31st October 2015)
Old 31st October 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turek View Post
Sent you serial number over PM.

I can confirm my response to Olympus that they can issue a pick-up on Monday, but haven't heard back from them to confirm it.
Thanks Tom,

It would appear you do indeed have my E-M1.

I'm very disappointed that Olympus Service did not contact you yesterday after I spoke with them.

They normally email confirming pick up date and providing the documentation, I take it they have not done this either?

Thanks again for you assistance and honesty, it is appreciated.

Dave
Old 31st October 2015

Thanked 1,347 Times in 1,052 Posts
Liked 2,245 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Yep! Read all the way down under! This is sad with this saga. I certainly hope they pull their finger out & get it sorted promptly because it is dragging Olympus Service's name down in a hurry.

Come on Olympus Service, Get it sorted!
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
DavyG (31st October 2015)
Old 31st October 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
I've only just caught up with this sorry sage Dave and can only add my support and hope that Olympus get you a camera before your holiday. I can imagine how you are feeling and to be honest I congratulate you on what I think is a wonderfully well controlled and factual thread. The power of this forum is displayed again in that Tom was able to fill in the missing details. Let's hope that Olympus now are able to go the extra mile and go some way to compensate you suitably for this unmitigated disaster that could be reported on here to also reassure the rest of us. A lens cloth would be an insult in my view.
Thanks Phil,

Your support is appreciated.

I am extremely disappointed with the way this comedy of errors is playing out, whilst I don't know what's being done behind the scenes by Olympus, it seems that communication is not a strong point.

To date I've had more support and offers of direct assistance from members of this forum than from Olympus, that says a lot for those of us who use and enjoy Olympus sadly, it portrays a negative image of Olympus themselves.

As you know from the thread, Tom came forward yesterday to advise that he thought he had my camera and how that happened, he then followed up by confirming the serial number, I am very grateful for his assistance.

Last night I was made aware that another forum member had actually Tweeted Olympus UK, their National Marketing Manager and two other prominent members of Olympus UK's team, making them aware of the problem and pointing them to this thread, I'll be interested to see if this generates a response.

I won't mention the forum member's name without his permission however, once again I'm very grateful for the support and assistance he provided.

When I logged into the Forum this morning I had a PM from another member, someone I've never met or spoken with, this very kind person made the offer of loaning me his own camera equipment to take with me on holiday, what an amazing gesture.

I've declined the offer as I would not be comfortable borrowing someone's personal kit however, I can't thank the individual concerned enough.

The actions of the forum members mentioned above show what a great group of people we have on this Olympus Forum, I would be very happy if Olympus would respond in a similar manner.

Thank to everyone who has posted on this thread, offered support and assistance, I truly appreciate it.

Dave
catkins (31st October 2015), cliff (1st November 2015), dralum (1st November 2015), Melaka (31st October 2015), mstphoto (31st October 2015), Olybirder (1st November 2015), pault (31st October 2015), Phill D (31st October 2015), Ross the fiddler (31st October 2015)
Old 1st November 2015

Liked 544 Times in 382 Posts

Regardless of outcome shoot off a letter (both hardcopy and email) to the European Head of Olympus. When I did this after a camera went missing for a month,, I got a new replacement camera and a grovelling phone call from the UK SErvice manager - this was a few years ago.
DavyG (1st November 2015)
Alpha1 (1st November 2015), OlyPaul (1st November 2015)
Old 2nd November 2015

Update 4:

The Olympus Supervisor was as good as his word and called me this afternoon.

I am very pleased to say that he has arranged for a new E-M1 to be sent out to me this week, scheduled to arrive before we leave for our holiday.

The Supervisor also advised that he had arranged for the replacement camera to be checked out by the Service Centre before despatch to ensure that it was up to date and had no problems.

I'd like to say thank you to those at Olympus who helped resolve the issue.

As mentioned in an earlier post, Forum member catkins informed me that he had sent a Tweet to members of Olympus UK asking that they assist with this matter, I know that he also followed this with another Tweet and received a reply. I don't know for certain if this influenced the outcome but he does have my heartfelt thanks for his assistance and support.

Thanks again to all on the forum who have offered advice, support and/or the loan of equipment, it is appreciated.

I'll update the thread again when the replacement camera arrives.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
catkins (2nd November 2015)
catkins (2nd November 2015), cliff (2nd November 2015), drmarkf (2nd November 2015), George Dorn (2nd November 2015), Olybirder (2nd November 2015), Ross the fiddler (2nd November 2015), rsh1960 (2nd November 2015)
Old 2nd November 2015

Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts

Oh hurrah, thank goodness that a sensible solution has been worked out for you.
It's a shame that it had to happen at all, but I do hope that some of the important lessons to be learned from this are learnt!
The Service Plus arrangement is a great Plus for us users of the Olympus OM-D E-M1 and generally is works well but the clear point I believe of this issue has been the need for improved communications between Olympus and the 'client'. Faults will always occur unfortunately but it is how these rare faults are dealt with that marks out a great company. For Olympus, the answer is not just the replacement camera for Dave (which is a very sensible and contrite solution in this case) but in sorting out why this happened and how can the system be improved. Then we will all (including Olympus) be beneficiaries in some small way!
Regards
Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to catkins For This Useful Post:
DavyG (2nd November 2015)
Old 2nd November 2015
Kiwi Paul

Hope it all works out ok, better wait for the replacement camera to arrive before getting too excited though, Turek may end up with it

Paul
catkins (2nd November 2015), DavyG (2nd November 2015)
Old 2nd November 2015

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

A quick heads up, haven't heard back from Olympus yet about rescheduled pickup, but it's good they agreed to send you replacement in a meantime.
The Following User Liked This Post:
catkins (2nd November 2015)
Old 2nd November 2015

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts

What a fiasco.

Just hope they send you a new camera rather than a refurbished one, after all their performance has been atrocious and customer service totally lacking, the old saying applies " How not to make friends & influence people".

They need to pull their fingers out and start providing better service - let's hope they do.

You are very right in saying that this forum has great members who support each others, there are also others that have a direct line to fairly senior staff and who use them when necessary.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 2nd November 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansky View Post
What a fiasco.

Just hope they send you a new camera rather than a refurbished one, after all their performance has been atrocious and customer service totally lacking, the old saying applies " How not to make friends & influence people".

They need to pull their fingers out and start providing better service - let's hope they do.

You are very right in saying that this forum has great members who support each others, there are also others that have a direct line to fairly senior staff and who use them when necessary.
I agree, it has stretched my patience however, getting angry wouldn't have helped or achieved much.

The Supervisor did seem to be trying to do his best to help, I suspect he had limited authority though.

It may have helped if he'd intervened and taken action earlier but, as I don't know the situation on the ground I'm loathe to criticise.

The customer service certainly needs to be improved, perhaps this incident will help to highlight that and improve the service for others.

I'll check the camera when it arrives as I was told I would be receiving a new camera, that's what I expect to have delivered, if not, I'll raise this issue with them also.

I now await the arrival of the replacement E-M1, I hope it proves to be as reliable as the one I sent in to have the camera eyelet tightened as, other than the eyelet, the camera has performed excellently.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
yorky (4th November 2015)
catkins (2nd November 2015), peak4 (3rd November 2015)