Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 15th February 2010

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts
What is on the horizon for Olympus

Although I'm not an active user any more I do still have quite a soft spot for Olympus.
In particular I am interested in the possible E-3 replacement having seen rumours banded about on other forums.

Olympus would only need tackle a few areas for me to seriously consider a move back.

*Smaller weather and dust sealed body
*Improved mid to high ISO performance, ideally on par or close to the Pentax K-x.
*Increase in resolution to around 14mp with a less aggressive anti-aliasing filter.
*Not that I am too bothered but I think they will also need to include HD video to keep pace with the competition.

Are you expecting Oly the release anything soon and if they do which areas of the E-3 and 30 / 620 performance would expect to see enhancements or step change improvements?

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 15th February 2010
Kiwi Paul

Re: What is on the horizon for Olympus

We are all waiting eagerly for the E3 replacement but as yet there is no word. I'm optimistically hoping the delay is so they can use the absolute newest technology and make it a very worthy successor not just an upgraded E30 or whatever, good things take time.
I imagine when it does come it will use the latest sensor from Panasonic and the latest processor offering (or even dual processors). Oly stated a while back they would stick with 12Mp sensors and concentrate on increasing dynamic range and improving noise at high ISO's. I would imagine it will extend to 6400 or possibly 12800 ISO.
I do like the size and weight and build quality of the E3 but I suspect the new model will be more along the E30 size.

Just hope it's sooner rather than later and is worth the wait.

Paul
Old 15th February 2010

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I think one of the key drivers of the E-3s size and weight is the viewfinder prism and I can't see Oly reducing that on its flagship! They could shrink the camera around it but unless they do something radical with the ergonomics I can't see it leading to a balanced design.

Personally unless thay have a breakthrough new sensor I would expect the new E-X to be a logical updating of the E-3 with all the current goodies and probably video.

I personally believe that Oly thought that m4/3 would be the video format (it is the more obvious route) and may have been caught out by the acceptance in DSLR

Dave
Old 15th February 2010
Kiwi Paul

Good point about the viewfinder / prism, the 100% vf is superb and I'd hate that to go so maybe the size will stay the same, that would be ok by me. The new sensor on the EP-2 is already quite a step up on the E3 sensor so even if that gets used it will still be a fairly significant improvement and combined with advanced firmware and processor technology will hopefully result in a much improved camera.

Paul
Old 16th February 2010

Perhaps Olympus could reduce the body size around the prism area a little and maybe bring it down to the E-30 size or a little smaller. I really wouldn't mind if they did away with the flash like the E-1, that would help. The E-3 (very nice camera that it is) always seemed like a bit of a battleship given the size of the sensor and mirror box. I'm sure Olympus ingenuity can find a clever packaging solution for the successor.
I agree about the 100% viewfinder you really wouldn't want to lose that.

I shall keep an eye in the Olympus forums for developments. Had the E-30 been weather and dust sealed I would almost certainly still be an Oly user now

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr

Last edited by Greytop; 16th February 2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 16th February 2010

Liked 1,341 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
The E-3 (very nice camera that it is) always seemed like a bit of a battleship given the size of the sensor and mirror box.

My thoughts exactly.. It does make me wonder if there is some logic that says our top of the line Pro camera must be a certain minimum size - or it won't be taken seriously when put alongside the Canikon offerings...

Surely not...

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 16th February 2010

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

I wouldn't really want it any smaller, at least it doesn't feel plasticy like some, a larger brighter screen would be a vote winner, after comparing it with the Nikon 300 it seems really dull, maybe the duel processor would be a step in the right direction!
Old 16th February 2010

I always thought compactness and portability was part of the Olympus / four thirds ethos. I considered it a big plus with my old E-510 and now it does feel that others are stealing Oly's thunder, the Pentax K-7 being a prime example.

I would like to see Olympus to move back in that direction with their new flagship

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr

Last edited by Greytop; 16th February 2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 16th February 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

My thoughts exactly. I had an E-3, and now have an E-30 and E-620. The E-30 is the maximum size I want to go for a DSLR. As regards weatherproofing, well, consumer cameras never used to be and I never had a camera damaged by rain or dust in the last 50 years I've been using them. I just take normal, common-sense, care of my kit. It's easy enough to shield a camera body and let the lens be showerproof.

As to the future, I think Olympus will steer back away from the so-called "pro" cameras and return to the more lucrative (ie, larger spending) serious amateurs who want to get fun out of their hobby and seem not to mind paying for regualr upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
I always though compactness and portability was part of the Olympus / four thirds ethos.

I would like to see Olympus to move back in that direction with their new flagship

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 16th February 2010

Unfortunately weather and dust proofing is pretty much top of list for me. Some inclement conditions (during trekking/hikes) have meant my camera and lens taking a quite severe drenching.
I find that in and out of kit bags etc is not practical as mostly there is no where to shelter.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 16th February 2010
Kiwi Paul

I agree, I like the weather and dust proofing too and don't want to see that compromised. Oly only seem to upgrade the top pro bodies every 3 years or so, so I'd like it to be a good un with all the extras as it will be a long wait for the next one. They seem to put out / upgrade consumer models semi regularly (E30, E620 etc) so for those not requiring the full blown E'x' there should still be plenty of more compact cheaper options available.

I think the E'x' will always be E3 - E30 size and I hope so too as with the larger Oly lenses they are more suited to a body size and shape of these models, plus the ergonomics etc demand a body size along those dimensions (i.e. with the thumb and fore finger dials etc, something I want them to retain).

Paul
Old 16th February 2010

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
My thoughts exactly.. It does make me wonder if there is some logic that says our top of the line Pro camera must be a certain minimum size - or it won't be taken seriously when put alongside the Canikon offerings...

Surely not...
Olympus were very very detailed about the factors that affected size and weight when they introduced the E30 - surprisingly there was no mention of minimum to be taken seriously.....

Using the 3 and 30 side by side I much prefer the 30 ergonomics and weight but, were I faced with a decision as to whether to get a 40 or a 4 tomorrow, with the VFs as currently, I would get the 4 every time.

Anyhow - I still expect we will hear what's actually happening within a week (or have to wait until Autumn )
Old 16th February 2010
Kiwi Paul

Whats happening that we may know within a week?

Paul
Old 16th February 2010

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
Whats happening that we may know within a week?

Paul
If there is anything due within a week Oly must have tightened up their security by an order of magnitude. There is usually at least a whisper when a release date is that close.

Mind you nobody seemed to get word of the E620 betore the official announcement.

Roger

Last edited by RogerMac; 16th February 2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 16th February 2010

Lets hope their security is good then

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr