Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 25th September 2014

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
What'so happened to Kerso?

For the first time in a little while, I thought to have a look at the Flash Camera site to check Kerso's prices. Alas, the shop appears to be empty, though the door is till open. Does anyone know what happened?

Also, for historical reasons - I like to think it's not snobbery - I was an aficionado of Robert White, if only to taunt myself with images of cameras I would not dare to buy before settling for a lens cleaning kit and a small filter, but I notice that he has cleared his shelves as well. I am stunned. What, no Leicas?

Are these just the fluctuations of the market, or is there something else afoot? My local camera shop folded about twelve years ago, and deservedly so, but have we only the megastores to look to now?

Sadder still but none the wiser.
Old 26th September 2014

Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
Re: What'so happened to Kerso?

There is now a statement on the Home Page which reads "Due to Family circumstances, the site will be closed indefinitely".

I bought some lenses from him a couple of months ago with no problems - the usual excellent prices and very speedy delivery, so I'm very sorry to hear this news.

He was a great guy to deal with and I have dealt with him on and off for about 3 years now.

I can only wish him and his family all the best - whatever circumstances surround this matter
Old 26th September 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I first dealt with Ian Kerr back in 2006. Always reliable. I know it was grey stock, but he never let me down.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 26th September 2014

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestarter View Post
There is now a statement on the Home Page which reads "Due to Family circumstances, the site will be closed indefinitely".
Ah, I didn't see this message on my iPad until I switched to the standard view. Let's hope for the best.
Old 26th September 2014

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Hmm. All my deals with Ian have been unquestionable. I do hope for the best.
Old 26th September 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Apart from that photo competition he held which no-one heard any more of ....

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 27th September 2014

Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Apart from that photo competition he held which no-one heard any more of ....
IIRC. It was Olympus uk that knocked that on the head
Old 13th October 2014

Flash Camera website now taken down.

I must say that I have bought a lot of gear from Ian over the years - Canon "L" glass, Canon / Nikon cameras, Panasonic lenses and various goodies and accessories he had from time to time.

In all that time I have never had a problem with any purchase, payment or delivery - all were always first class and on time and I often introduced friends to him as well based on his professional service.

I remember on one occasion he even included a very welcome and much appreciated photographic "freebie" for me for being such a regular customer. As I never ordered the item, I immediately contacted him to say something was in the box which I hadn't ordered or paid for. He said it wasn't a mistake - it was a thank you. Customer service like that is rare these days.

We swapped the occasional email and I always left good feedback for him on the purchases I made.

I wish him all the best for the future. He was always a pleasure to deal with.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Melaka (13th October 2014), steverh (15th October 2014)
Old 15th October 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The website is back up now actually with a different message suggesting that trading will recommence in November - and that the site was on hold due to deaths in the family.

Hope he gets back on his feet was always a pleasure to deal with.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrism_scotland For This Useful Post:
latestarter (15th October 2014)
Old 15th October 2014

That is good news indeed. Many thanks for the update chrism
Old 23rd October 2014

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

Ian Kerr (Kerso) used to be a regular contributor on this forum. His details are still available, just search on Kerso. However he fell out of favour over a competition he launched in February 2011 but inexplicably didn't see through. It's all here: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...561#post122561
He finally dropped off the radar after his last visible post on 22nd June 2011.
I also remember there were objections raised to his activities on this site which is remember; sponsored by Olympus UK. An understandable exception was taken to his promotion and supply of grey imports from the USA at very attractive prices. I remember the dialogue and I'm sure other members do too. However the actual posts appear to have disappeared as there is no trace that I can find of them now after a brief search.
I have spent a lot of money with Kerso/Flash Camera. I personally found their service to be impeccable and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

***Steve***

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 23rd October 2014

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Maybe we all need to remind ourselves of Olympus's involvement in funding this site when we decide to save ourselves a bit of money by going down an 'alternative' purchase route .
The thing is, warranties have changed and you now leave yourself open to not having one for the country you reside in and have to ship overseas in the event of a claim.................

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
The Following User Liked This Post:
paullus (23rd October 2014)
Old 23rd October 2014

That is a fair point Dave but just because I choose to be a member of a photographic forum doesn't mean I can't evaluate risks and make decisions on my own account.

I am a very happy E-1 owner and I bought through a well known UK supplier.

Olympus always get the money they want from dealers for their goods, even if it country specific.

I have bought many expensive grey imports over the years and have always been satisfied with the transactions.

It's not Olympus that are losing money - it's the middlemen.

Grey imports would not exist if prices were equalized across international borders instead of a pricing policy which allows such inequality in pricing between countries.

If grey imports were illegal the market would dry up but my understanding is that is not the case and market forces will decide.

Each buyer can make his own mind up but it is definitely a case of "Let buyer beware".

If Olympus decide to ban freedom of choice, freedom of thinking and owners of grey imports from using the site - I'll happily pack my bags and go now.

I do appreciate the Olympus sponsorship of this site but they don't own me or my way of thinking just because I happen to be an owner of their product and a member of a web site.

Olympus get the benefit of enthusiastic owners helping and supporting each other and all members using their products, so it's not hard to see the advantages in sponsoring the site.

The old marketing adage of "If you get something for free - you are the target" has never been truer.
Old 23rd October 2014

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

You're spot on with your comments there Late Starter.
Of course we all know that most multi-national companies operate in this way so Olympus are not the only guilty party.
I would add that in all likelihood their operating margin differs as well from country to country. If a business feels the market will stand a higher price they will take advantage of it, which is why we are where we are.

Edit: I should add I'm not blaiming Olympus for the situation, it is what it is.
To equalise it all competing companies would have change and adopt the same stratergy.
No one company would take the step of equalising pricing on their own..

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 23rd October 2014

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestarter View Post
That is a fair point Dave but just because I choose to be a member of a photographic forum doesn't mean I can't evaluate risks and make decisions on my own account.

I am a very happy E-1 owner and I bought through a well known UK supplier.

Olympus always get the money they want from dealers for their goods, even if it country specific.

I have bought many expensive grey imports over the years and have always been satisfied with the transactions.

It's not Olympus that are losing money - it's the middlemen.

Grey imports would not exist if prices were equalized across international borders instead of a pricing policy which allows such inequality in pricing between countries.

If grey imports were illegal the market would dry up but my understanding is that is not the case and market forces will decide.

Each buyer can make his own mind up but it is definitely a case of "Let buyer beware".

If Olympus decide to ban freedom of choice, freedom of thinking and owners of grey imports from using the site - I'll happily pack my bags and go now.

I do appreciate the Olympus sponsorship of this site but they don't own me or my way of thinking just because I happen to be an owner of their product and a member of a web site.

Olympus get the benefit of enthusiastic owners helping and supporting each other and all members using their products, so it's not hard to see the advantages in sponsoring the site.

The old marketing adage of "If you get something for free - you are the target" has never been truer.
I too have bought grey imports; from Kerso and others and would still consider doing so. Where though has it ever been suggested that Olympus are going to ban freedom of choice or users of grey imports. There was a justifiable exception raised to a person promoting their business on this site. Try walking into any business premises, setting up your own stall and begin selling cut price products or services. You'd soon be out on your ear. Any self respecting business is going to protect it's interests.

***Steve***

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
The Following User Says Thank You to paullus For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (23rd October 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (23rd October 2014)