Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 31st August 2010
davidsa

Re: So, what would like to see in your E-3 successor...

Useful for any camera, surely!

For example often the 70 - 300 mm won't find something sufficiently contrasty for the autofocus to hitch onto when the subject is far away in the distance - so stick in on infinity.

David
Old 31st August 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Nick's post above simply has to be a contender for post of the year, it's a classic.

PS: I'm also with Zuiko on this one, Nick... and worry about childhood regressions... hehe

Old 31st August 2010

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Sounds more like a feature for a lower range point and shoot type camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
For any complex camera , E-**, P-**, or whatever:-

A control (on the camera or each lens) that will focus the lens on infinity, and leave it there. Just like in the old days when you could just turn the focus round to the infinity stop and you were OK for most of the time out of doors.

I suppose, ideally, for the up market models, you would have a readout giving the minimum in focus distance for that lens at that F-number.

David

Am I missing sonething I think I have that facility already on my 50mm and also my 12-60mm, as far as I know its on all the HG and SHG lenses.
Roger
Old 31st August 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Nick's post above simply has to be a contender for post of the year, it's a classic.

PS: I'm also with Zuiko on this one, Nick... and worry about childhood regressions... hehe
My 'inner child' is realing under so much friendly scrutiny.

However I was brought up to believe in 'delayed gratification', a then popular idea for parents as it gave them so much more time for their own self obsession.

But, as it turns out, an excellent preparation for Olympus DSLR ownership.

Reputedly they could hear me crying at the Co-op grocery a hundred yards away, do you think Olympus in Japan can hear me too?

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 1st September 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post

do you think Olympus in Japan can hear me too?

Nick
Even if they can, do you think they care?

You childhood reminiscences have sent me delving into my own rather hazy past. I had a teddy bear for my first Christmas and throughout my childhood (even into my teens ) he remained a firm favourite. Bigger, better bears came and went. Bears with more realistic features, softer fur, inbuilt growls when you squeezed them, but all were eschewed in favour of good old "Teddy."

Yes, I know that name is totally unoriginal and lacking in imagination but that's how he was introduced to me at 6 months old and, well, the name just stuck. You don't suddenly rename an old friend (unless you discover they are really a "Marmaduke"). But in retrospect, and with consideration to my current favourite toy, maybe I should have named him Edward-the-Third, or E-3 for short.

Now that I've finally "come out" you can worry about my childhood for a while rather than your own, Marmaduke.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau