Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 5th February 2008

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Re: So what made you Choose Olympus then?

I had been a a Canon user for way back starting with a lovely rangefinder (Canonet 1.7G3QL) and going through to a Powershot G2, a total of five bodies in all. I still have them all and some are very well used. I never quite forgave Canon for dropping the FD mount without even an appropriate adaptor, so I hung onto the FD system as long as possible and never invested in EF glass.

Believe it or not it was an AP comparative test that convinced me that Oly was the way to go. In particular it told me that the Canon kit lens was awful, and I realised that while both Canon and Nikon could provide at least as good systems I would need to spend twice the cost of an E500 for equal results.

Now that E500 has been given away and I use an E510. I believe that the overall package of dust reduction, portability, IS and liveview are unavailable in any other system at any price, so I am sticking with the E510 and have no plans to get an E3 in the foreseeble future. I will probably miss out the E520 but I might upgrade when the E530 comes out!
Old 5th February 2008

Liked 98 Times in 30 Posts

I've used Olympus camera's for over 20years now. The only other camera other than Olympus I've owned is a Fuji STX1 My Olympus camera's started with OM20 then OM4 x2 aslo OM2n, 2sp, 40, 10, 101 & 707. My 1st digital was E-20P which I still own followed by a E-500, then E-410 & E-510. The 500 & 410 have gone to be replaced by a E-3. I also have a C350 compact great little 3mp camera. Yes I suppose I've had brand loyalty, I went through the days of people saying you don't want an Olympus the batteries go flat all the time! Have you got spares with you! I can say in over 20 years using Olympus none of my camera's have let me down. I let myself down forgetting to take the correct film or enough, yes and forgetting to take batteries for the winder or flash. When changing to digital it was no competition I knew it would be Olympus. I'm getting out and about more with the E-3 and really enjoying my photography and with out a doubt this site is a great help.
Regards Derek C
Old 5th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekC View Post
I've used Olympus camera's for over 20years now. The only other camera other than Olympus I've owned is a Fuji STX1 My Olympus camera's started with OM20 then OM4 x2 aslo OM2n, 2sp, 40, 10, 101 & 707. My 1st digital was E-20P which I still own followed by a E-500, then E-410 & E-510. The 500 & 410 have gone to be replaced by a E-3. I also have a C350 compact great little 3mp camera. Yes I suppose I've had brand loyalty, I went through the days of people saying you don't want an Olympus the batteries go flat all the time! Have you got spares with you! I can say in over 20 years using Olympus none of my camera's have let me down. I let myself down forgetting to take the correct film or enough, yes and forgetting to take batteries for the winder or flash. When changing to digital it was no competition I knew it would be Olympus. I'm getting out and about more with the E-3 and really enjoying my photography and with out a doubt this site is a great help.
Regards Derek C
Ah the Olympus 707 not one of the Olympus design teams proudest moments.

Ian C.
Old 5th February 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,608 Times in 929 Posts

Like most, I have owned a number of makes and used even more. My first serious camera was the Olympus 35RD, followed by an OM10, OM2 and finally an OM4Ti. When it came to choosing a digital, my first thoughts were to go for Nikon lenses on a Fuji body as this was the tried and tested setup at work and it produced excellent results. But a C-8080 came my way and it too produced very good results. As soon as 4/3rds came along and I saw the reasoning behind it, along with the almost upresedented collaboration of manufacturers, my mind was made up and I bought into the E-Series.

With the OM adaptor it allowed the use of all my Bellows, Macro and Microscope lenses so really there was little reason to look elsewhere.

I've tried other makes from time to time (at work and friends kit) and they are all very good. I can't give a definitive best reason for sticking with Olympus, I simply like them better than the rest, in much the same way as I get my Indian takeaway from the same place...
Old 29th February 2008
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts

In a nutshell:

1. Quality of lenses - Zuiko lenses have always been top quality. There are a lot of rubbishy kit lenses out there!

2. The whole system was designed from the ground up, not a forced adaptation of a 35mm film system. In retrospect Olympus were lucky not to have produced a successful 35mm autofocus system!

3. Weatherproof and dustproof.

4. Generally high level of innovation from Olympus. The new features get rubbished by the other makers, and sneak into their cameras a year or two later.

Steve
Old 19th June 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First up for me was that Olympus represented a "challenger brand" in that it needed to try harder than the Canikon establishment. Then, looking into it a little further I discovered the 4/3rds story which is fantastic, a "standard" being driven and innovated by more than one company. Olympus, Panasonic/Lumix, Leica and Kodak are pretty cool brands to be associated with.

When different brands get together, innovation happens as the companies compete to have products that are the best implementation of a standard they share, I like that as a business model. I will happily commit to that, I will happily only buy Olympus, Panasonic or Leica cameras. In fact right now I think a "small" camera of a Leica D-Lux 4, a "medium" Panasonic G1 and a "large" Olympus E-3 is a pretty powerful line-up and each one of them is near the top of their own class and but they have a conection to each other too. I like that.

Finally, the Olympus products simply provide more bang for your bucks. I wanted a weather-resistant, fast, relatively compact kit that could lend itself to make high quality images in pretty much any situation. The Olympus set up of an E-3, 12-60 SWD and 50-200 SWD to satisfy that was way smaller and cheaper than anything else on the market, the proof was in the pudding.

Last edited by michaelavis; 19th June 2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 20th June 2009
Archphoto

I had the Olympus OM1 with several lenses for years and realy liked the camera.
When I came to Brazil with my IS 10 I very soon realized that analogue in this country is unusable, everything is digital here.
I looked around on the internet a bit an decided I wanted to have the 7-14mm.
As soon as I got back in Holland I bought my E410 and never looked back.
It was all I could afford at that time and don't regret it.

Since Christmas 2008 I have the E520 aswell together with that 7-14mm.
The E520 will be replaced some day, the E410 is a true keeper.

Peter
Old 20th June 2009
dabchick

After dabbling with various Point and shoots and deciding I wanted to get more serious about photography. I did a lot of research and the overwhelming message I got was that lenses were more important than the camera itself. Zuiko lenses always received good user feedback and the E-500 was selling with the 14-45mm and 40-150mm. I bought this camera and enjoyed it very much before upgrading to the E-510 and subsequently buying the E-330, E-1 and now the E-30. Since being an Olympus user I have grown to love the build quality, reliability (none have ever let me down) and glass. I'm now an avid Olympus fan and user and can't see me ever changing brands. I accept the limitations of the four thirds format ( high ISO mainly ) because I think you win more than you lose. I also love the innovative approach of Olympus as again demonstrated by the introduction of the EP-1. I don't buy all the Canon and Nikon hype (although they do have some good models undoubtedly) because Olympus is the only company to design their Digital system from scratch. I think we are now starting to see their philosophy come to fruition and high ISO performance is getting better with each iteration.
I have never regretted my decision.
Old 21st June 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts

Only one thing made me choose Olympus.

The competition!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd June 2009

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

In 1979ish replaced my Spotmatic with a Pentax MX, wanted an OM but they were 30-40% more expensive. Stayed with Pentaxes until 2006 when I decided to go digital. Pentax *istD range was underwhelming so started to look around. Three things led me to the E-500:

1) SSWF - I was scaredof dust and tend to swap lenses reasonably often
2) Kit lens quality
3) I like telephoto shots so a 2x factor was a boon.

Actually there was a fourth the two lens kit got me off to a good start.

Three years later the e-500 is still my main camera and upgrading/ expanding my glass comes above body envy. My only gripe is the viewfinder.

Jim
Old 12th October 2009
Administrator

Liked 547 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
But it's only taken me 18 months from first Oly to a system that Iím happy with (or will be in the new year when I get the last 2 things I want).
I came across this really old thread I started in a search I did this evening

What a Silly thing I said back in 2007.

I have since then bought the 2 things I was thinking of.. and more including my shiny E-30

I currently only have 3 more things I'm wanting before I have the system I really want (all expensive glass upgrades ) and then of course there will be the three more in Flash and acessory systems , but I'm taking pictures and enjoying it for the last few years so why worry ...

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 13th October 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
But Is only taken me 18 months from first Oly to a system that Iím happy with (or will be in the new year when I get the last 2 things I want).
Quote:
What a Silly thing I said back in 2007.
No, I don't think it was silly.

When I first got my E-400 I was delighted with it, it was the best camera on the market for me at the time - and it was streets ahead of similarly priced other brands. I think it still is, and I'm sure current models are - depending on individual needs and money supply. Not everybody wants/needs full frame.

But, what I hadn't bargained with was me, and that what I want to get out of my camera would change and evolve with time, and in the end you can't take some sorts of pictures if your gear won't let you.

That said, one reason I think Olympus outclasses other brands is that the kit lenses are really quite affordable and are also very good - and they don't need IS, because it's in the newer camera bodies.

I can't count the number of times I've watched a thread on a site where somebody's asked "what camera should I buy", and this isn't just photography sites either. No matter how varied their "advice", and no matter how many people mention Olympus/Panasonic/Sony/Pentax etc and tell them to try them all before they part with their cash, almost every single one will end up in a local super-big-shop and then get a CanNikon, because those are the only brands these places stock - and that's when their problems start.

They get the camera home and realise the camera/lens combination they've bought won't do what they want and so they ask what they should do next.

Out roll the same old replies - get this all-singing-all-dancing costs-hundreds-of-pounds lens, which not many people can afford when they've just parted with around £500 or more of their hard-earned, hard-saved, cash to buy a camera body and one zoom lens.

Then, of course, within a couple of weeks they're asking about dust on the sensor!

I don't think I've never had to be defensive about my choice of camera, I've never really had to feel I had to justify how much it cost whilst thinking I might have made a mistake, even though I still wish Oly would offer updates for the E-400!

But, as I said, my demands have changed, and that's why I jumped at the chance of getting an E-30. But, I won't be getting rid of the E-400, and will get a pancake lens for it so I can carry it in my coat pocket. I might even look for one of those fancy little cases for it.
Old 13th October 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: So what made you Choose Olympus then?

Totally agree, there are many excellent attributes to an Olympus body, but the optics, the lens engineering and the optimization for the four-thirds sensor still end up being the key in my view.

As with the Nikon D300 before it, the spec of the new Canon 7D made me weak at the knees with all that speed, weatherproofing and what looks to be one hell of a focusing system, processing engine and sensor.

I did what I've done so often, imagined myself with a 7D/L-series lens set up instead of my E-3/SWD gear and then got real and calculated how much it would cost to migrate to a system with similar focal coverage and aperture speed. It returns you to earth with a bump and re-inforces just how good the Oly system is.

The 7D/L-series lenses is great kit and I would understand anybody who went in that direction, but the E-3/SWD is not that far off it, costs half as much and is far more compact overall. For many, many people it would provide best bang for their buck if they ever got past the vast marketing budgets and distribution channels of the bigger players.

Needing and being able to exploit the ultimate in system performance plus preferences for the way a system works and feels is all very personal of course, as is brand loyalty, but the undeniable benefits the optimization of the digital-only 4/3rds format provides to the E-System proves Olympus had a point and keeps me in the fold every time. That said, I'm looking forward to a faster, lower noise E-3 replacement though.