Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 25th April 2019

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts
Re: Electric Vehicles Emit more CO2 than Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
It's ok I keep the stove door shut, only opening to chuck some wood in as and when necessary.
That's fine for you but we are all choking to death on your smoke out here in the cold.

More seriously I hear there are plans to mandate some kind of particulate filter on wood burning stoves, similar to the DPF system fitted to diesel cars. What could possibly go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Can we talk Steam Trains next? Love 'em, bring them back please.
Oh yes please. And the railway lines themselves.

PS: Anyone who talks about 'Train Stations' will be blocked.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th April 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Agreed, all very valid points John.

I feel however, given the average selfish, NIMBY attitude of the population, it would require drastic legislation to achieve and be an impossible voluntary task. When you consider the current Parliamentary fiasco, getting agreement on such as the above would take years, if ever, to implement and no doubt be too late. I don't profess to have any answers but, as you, I feel urgent action is needed sooner than later.

Jax
Most definitely there is a huge difference between what we should do and what we will do! It's rather ironic that Brexit is currently occupying so much of our time and climate change so little, especially in Parliament. I wonder which issue will seem the most important, looking back in a hundred years time?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (25th April 2019), Naughty Nigel (25th April 2019)
Old 25th April 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Climate damage is a serious issue and shouldn't be trivialised. I guess the original question related to the rise in global warming.
If electric battery powered propulsion is one way forward, another is hydrogen ion exchange. Both need energy conversion to make the purified forms.
Solar, wind farms and wave energy will not meet the needs world-wide, it is said. We need alternatives. Fission has nasty consequences, and fusion is a long way away from being developed to becoming viable. That's not to say it's impossible. But why do we only spend world-wide a trivial amount on fusion research!?

Methane is 86x more damaging than carbon dioxide (methane dissipates far quicker though) and our love of eating beef needs to be moderated, or replaced. Cattle farming needs to heavily moderated.

So many parts to the equation to consider.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (25th April 2019)
Old 25th April 2019

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Most definitely there is a huge difference between what we should do and what we will do! It's rather ironic that Brexit is currently occupying so much of our time and climate change so little, especially in Parliament. I wonder which issue will seem the most important, looking back in a hundred years time?
I do sometimes wonder what would have happened if Sir Ernest Marples (and no doubt other politicians) had owned shares in railways rather than road building?

The Beeching cuts had nothing to do with lack of foresight. I accept that some branch lines were uneconomic at that time but there were many strategic lines that formed a valuable part of the rail infrastructure but were deliberately put beyond further use. This was a cold, calculated decision made only to make money for those concerned.

As we have seen from HS2 and Crossrail, the cost of opening new lines and reopening old lines is eye watering.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Zuiko (25th April 2019)
Old 25th April 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
It isn't just business meetings either. Where is the justification for thousands of delegates and other hangers-on flying to the furthest points of the globe to attend climate change summits?

Then there is the showbiz set who fly to climate change protests in their private jets, but drive a Toyota Pious to show they care about the environment. For that matter, where is the justification for 60,000 people flying thousands of miles to watch 22 overpaid prima donnas kicking a ball around? You see more on the telly!
Yes, there are double standards and gross hypocrisy right across the board. Making the necessary sacrifices always applies to others, never ourselves - gosh, what we are doing in our lives is so much more important than the priorities of anybody else. We deserve to be exempt!

I'm broadly supportive of the sentiments of the climate change protesters in London; they are at least drawing attention to the urgency of the problem. However, for a group who claim the moral high ground in caring for the environment, they left a huge amount of discarded empty plastic drinks bottles amongst other rubbish. Also, I saw several interviewed who proudly stated the distance they had travelled to be there. Wouldn't their case be more convincing if they had taken action in their home towns?

Good point about the football; on Monday Norwich City even filled their stadium with fans to watch an away match on giant screens! I suppose it is marginally better than having them travel to Stoke (where the match was actually played) but as Nigel says, what's wrong with the telly at home?

To end with a slight photographic flavour, my son was in London on Saturday for a medical appointment and just happened to run into the protest. Like any good photography student he had his camera with him and started to take pictures, only to be promptly told by a policeman to vacate the scene or risk being arrested. I like to think I would have taken that risk, if only to stand up for photographer's rights!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (25th April 2019), Naughty Nigel (25th April 2019)
Old 25th April 2019

Liked 285 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
To end with a slight photographic flavour, my son was in London on Saturday for a medical appointment and just happened to run into the protest. Like any good photography student he had his camera with him and started to take pictures, only to be promptly told by a policeman to vacate the scene or risk being arrested. I like to think I would have taken that risk, if only to stand up for photographer's rights!
Noble gesture ! Speaking of photographic flavour, I understand prison food is much improved now

Jax
Naughty Nigel (25th April 2019)
Old 25th April 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Noble gesture ! Speaking of photographic flavour, I understand prison food is much improved now

Jax
And it's free!

Old 25th April 2019

Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,452 Posts
Liked 1,448 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
...More seriously I hear there are plans to mandate some kind of particulate filter on wood burning stoves, similar to the DPF system fitted to diesel cars. What could possibly go wrong?...
The council has for a long time decreed that wood burning stoves are not permitted here as we are in a "smokeless" zone. BBQ's and bonfires are exempt. Stoves must be of the multi-fuel variety and only be used to burn smokeless fuel.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day