Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 23rd June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,756 Times in 792 Posts
Penny

I'm enjoying the critique experience so here is another. Ignore the duff exif data, this was taken at 42mm using a Pen E-P1 with a pre-production kit lens, @ f/5.6, ISO 100.

Some of you may have seen this shot before but I have done some extra PP with it.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 23rd June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Penny

If you give me that Penny, you can have my thoughts!
Old 23rd June 2011
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Oooh a portrait, in LFP...

Well... lovely smile and expression, but the lighting is a tad harsh. I would clone out the fence to Penny's left, and may have used a small amount of fill light camera left which would have lifted the shadows across her face, and placed some all important catch lights in her eyes to make them pop. I guess you could do a little of that in PP...?

I also find the black line of whatever running adjacent to Pennys right arm a little distracting.

Hope you don't mind the feedback, Ian.

Old 23rd June 2011
Administrator

Liked 1,602 Times in 925 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Penny

To critique an image such as this, the "story" behind the image often helps. However this can work both for and against the photographer. I'm fairly sure that this is the young lady that Olympus had at the launch of the PEN System, as such there would have been very few opportunities for properly posed portraits.

The lighting at this location is harsh, middle of the day light that has cast hard shadows and bright highlights. However using this to backlight the subject has worked well as the main part of the face is very evenly lit by soft reflected light. The eyes are sharp and wide open, which they would not have been if lit by the full sunlight.

There is often a debate over the rights and wrongs of having arms exiting and re-entering the frame, here it works very well as this "action" by Penny is typical of so many young women who adjust their hair in an almost constant process, that provides many different looks to the person. Personally I'd have cropped this tighter so that the distractions of the sky and railing on the right is removed, and again on the left at the point where the highlight on the upper edge of the upper arm, seperates the arm from the background that is of similar colour.

One of the key elements of the image is the interaction of Penny and Ian, which is the hallmark of a good model and the photographer. A good shoot is very often the result of a good conversation and this particular image has that very relaxed look that gives it the edge over a lot of posed shots.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 23rd June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Ah yes, one of those awful, tedious product launches that you simply have to endure, Ian. It's a tough job but someone has to do it!

The natural delights of Penny apart, this must have been a bit of a nightmare shoot with so many background distractions and that harsh light. I think the low angle, looking up, avoids many of the distractions and makes for an interesting composition. I think theexposure has worked rather well, considering the appalling nature of the light for a portrait. Question is, does the camera take credit for this or, more likely, is it down to your pp talents?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 23rd June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,756 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Ah yes, one of those awful, tedious product launches that you simply have to endure, Ian. It's a tough job but someone has to do it!

The natural delights of Penny apart, this must have been a bit of a nightmare shoot with so many background distractions and that harsh light. I think the low angle, looking up, avoids many of the distractions and makes for an interesting composition. I think theexposure has worked rather well, considering the appalling nature of the light for a portrait. Question is, does the camera take credit for this or, more likely, is it down to your pp talents?
Indeed - there are lots of other journos jostling for position and trying to get the model's attention - so I did well in the circumstances

I recall that there was a bloke with a large reflector which explains the fill in glow that Penny has in the shot.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com