Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 22nd June 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Landscape ? must Horizon be straight ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallaWolf View Post
interesting discussion. In the end, it all depends on the effect/emotion you want to create. As someone who suffers with inner ear problems from time to time I can genuinely say that the first picture makes me feel nauseous if I stare at it for more than a few seconds - presumably this is because my brain is trying (and failing) to reconcile the horizon.
The cropped shot has almost the same effect on me because of the slanted top wave. HOWEVER, cropping that wave out creates a completely different feel - tranquillity, relaxation and equilibrium. It goes to show just how important that crop tool is.
Ceri you have brought to my attention aome very different comments with amazing value ! I have gone back to look again at these images, bearing in mind, your comments about each! Amazing thoughts and feelings. Thanks for these deep thoughts !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 22nd June 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Now Chevvy, any of those is exactly how a washed up coconut oughta look!

Love it!

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment Mark, much valued ! I think I shall get the last one printed BIG !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 22nd June 2011

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

I would say that normally your horizon should be level in a pure landscape image. However, if it is a non-landscape image that includes the horizon and you are trying something different then make it obviously off level otherwise you will get the usual comments..........................

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 22nd June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I would say that normally your horizon should be level in a pure landscape image. However, if it is a non-landscape image that includes the horizon and you are trying something different then make it obviously off level otherwise you will get the usual comments..........................
That's a good point -

slightly skewed looks like a mistake that will inevitably be judged using the "horizons must be straight" rule.

S
...L
......A
.........N
............T
...............E
..................D looks deliberate and will be judged on its own merits.

(Latest Work)

Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said