Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 9th June 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Hubberholme, Upper Wharfedale

Whilst supporting my son's team on the 100km Oxfam Trailtrekkers I had little time to think about photography, but I occasioned upon St. Michael and All Angels Church in the little hill Hamlet of Hubberholme in Upper Wharfedale. I'd been there once before, many years ago but remembered very little. A few shots of a charming little church which started life as a forest chapel in the 12th Century. Weather very mizzly with poor light:

The small door visible in the above photograph:

The interior showing the 16th century Rood Screen, taken with on-board flash:

The Rood Screen:

Towards the base of the tower (a bit worried about that crack!):

The pews were all made by Thompson of Kilburn ("Mousey Thompson")and several show his mark of a carved mouse:

In the hills above Hubberholme there is an interesting cross next to an old field barn. It has an inscription obviously carved during the reign of Queen Victoria and perhaps the cross is of the same age or may be older:

E5 + Leica 14-150mm

C&C welcome

David
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts
Re: Hubberholme, Upper Wharfedale

You have a nice collection of shots there David. It is a shame the sky was not more interesting on the day. Perhaps a return visit would be worthwhile?

Just one or two points of interest. Firstly, it is unlikely that a church of this age would have been named St. Michael and All Angels, as this name was not used until about 1900 I believe. (I can find the actual date if it is of interest.) Before this time the name would either have been St. Michael the Archangel, or just plain St. Michael's. However, many people get this wrong, and just assume that any church called St. Michael's is St. Michael and All Angels! Indeed, it is entirely possible that the PCC has had it wrong for a long time!

Secondly, the crack in the tower is not unusual, as buildings of this age were often built with minimal foundations, so the slightest movement in the soil will cause alarming cracks. At one time churches would just be rebuilt as and when they fell down, resulting in much of the interesting ecclesiastical architecture that we enjoy today.

Thirdly, the small door on the south side was probably provided for the Priest. Doors on the north side (opposite the main south door) are sometimes called the Devil's Door, and at one time would have been opened during services to let the devil out! For the same reason medieval churches tend not to have burials on the north side as this was regarded as the 'Devil's Side'

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

Its a wonderful area in"Gods Country" I never pass without visiting the church or the Vicarage (The George)
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

I have just taken a look at the map, and have worked out that Hubberholme is only an hour's drive away. The lunch menu at the George also looks very good. I think I might have a visit there myself before the school summer holidays start.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I'd definitely go and hope you get some good skies so you can get some good shots of the area. I've not eaten in the George so I can't comment but the whole valley including Langstrothdale is a lovely area in any weather. You won't be disappointed.

David