Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 26th October 2009
Xpres

Jessops and the 499 E30

Well I got fed up with waiting for the order I placed at the start of the month and asked where the E30 was.....

..."Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately the item you have ordered is now discontinued, I have cancelled the order as it can not progress any further. No payment has been taken. If you would like to contact our helpful sales team on 0800 083 3113, option 1, they will be able to advise you which model is the nearest specification.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

Jessops Customer Support
TEL: 0800 083 3113 "

To be fair I kind of thought this would be the case but I'm still disappointed, particularly in Jessops, service. They could have said straight away that the offer was only a store one instead of stringing someone along for a few weeks. Or even made some effort to find one in their stores and send it out, as the order was placed long before the product sold out.
I have complained - for what it's worth. It seems they treat their store customers very well, mostly, but don't care for there web based punters.

Oh well! I guess the same applies to anyone else waiting on one of these so sorry to break the news if you were still hanging on in hope.

On the plus side I'm 500 richer! Which I'll put towards a 5D
Old 27th October 2009

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Jessops and the 499 E30

just pick up a 599 kit and flog the lens.........
Old 27th October 2009

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Well what a surprise!

I think a few of us had a few concerns about the Jessops order tracking let alone other aspects of the order, but were hoping for something better from Jessops in terms of communication with customers.
I have rung a few times and found the order process very lacking in terms of staff even having any information to hand. Once two weeks go by I find it very strange if a company has no update info to hand, so Jessops really have done themselves no favours - but then perhaps the reality is that I only was using them because they had such a good offer, so they'll only be losing the custom of someone who didn't tend to trust their business setup anyway! No wonder they're allegedly going down the swanny.
I will wait a few more days in forlorn hope then give them a final ring.

The interesting thing is that most of their more expensive web items have "to 28 days special order", so if they can't get an Oly which they place as a offer on their website what can they get? I wonder how many orders they got because Oly and Jessops come out badly on this potentially.

Chris
Old 27th October 2009
Xpres

I'd imagine there are quite a few disappointed potential customers out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
just pick up a 599 kit and flog the lens.........
From where?
This isn't on the Jessops site anymore and I didn't want to chase around for one three weeks ago when they were offering online sales delivered. I don't like they way they dismiss their website customers and favour the stores, which is my real beef.
Old 27th October 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post

From where?
This isn't on the Jessops site anymore and I didn't want to chase around for one three weeks ago when they were offering online sales delivered. I don't like they way they dismiss their website customers and favour the stores, which is my real beef.
I find the whole Jessops experience rather questionable if the reality turns out for all of us that they don't fulfil any of their internet orders that were placed for the E-30. In many ways I don't even feel that they've favoured their stores very well as they couldn't provide much help to me to go to a local store.

Their offer was placed on their website with their usual note "Special Order - Home delivery usually within 28 days".
There was no aspect to this offer of it being a stock clearance and therefore only applicable to shop stock.
Nor was it at any stage of the online order process and since when I have checked with the free order tracking phone service, made clear that this offer was for clearance of shop stock.
Nor at any stage of online order process or with the free order tracking phone service has it been made clear that this is a discontinued item for which no order can be placed.

I therefore see what happens over the next few days, just so that I've given Jessops some chance within their 28 days scenario!
Old 27th October 2009

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

FWIW - When phoning round trying to find a 599 kit at the end of last week I was told that even if I found any remaining shop stock it was not for sale as it had been "recalled by Head Office" earlier in the week to fulfil outstanding orders, so maybe all is not lost for you.....

Kevin
Old 27th October 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyb View Post
FWIW - When phoning round trying to find a 599 kit at the end of last week I was told that even if I found any remaining shop stock it was not for sale as it had been "recalled by Head Office" earlier in the week to fulfil outstanding orders, so maybe all is not lost for you.....

Kevin
Thanks for that - it makes sense in a normal business setup to provide and then fulfil outstanding orders, so let's wait and see what happens. I'm happy to wait and give them a chance and they are still acting within their terms, so fingers will be crossed.
Anyhow the thought of having to rethink all my DSLR camera requirements, existing kit, necessities of any new kit, items costs, replacement costs, new items required as a result, etc., is something that I don't want to have tothink about at present!
Old 27th October 2009

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

I did not order one but must admit I was sorely tempted. Had I ordered one and placed an order which was accepted, I think my next port of call would be the office for fair trading to get advice on what they thought of this.
I am not sure how Jessops would stand in discontinuing and offer that was made. The E30 remains available but Jessops say they will no-longer stock it. Your purchase, and their offer, was not from stock but special order......interesting.
Finally, I am very sorry there are disappointed prospective purchasers out there.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 27th October 2009

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Had I ordered one and placed an order which was accepted, I think my next port of call would be the office for fair trading to get advice on what they thought of this.
Peter
Sadly your time would have been better spent on other things. The web site is like a shop window - it is 'an offer to treat'.

See Jessops' T&Cs. Unethical their behaviour may have been. Breach of contract it was not it would seem.

Flickr
Old 27th October 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
Peter
Sadly your time would have been better spent on other things. The web site is like a shop window - it is 'an offer to treat'.

See Jessops' T&Cs. Unethical their behaviour may have been. Breach of contract it was not it would seem.
Unfortunately the terms of sale are always an interesting field of exploration often not explored by potential purchasers!

There's no doubt that the internet can offer very good deals, and is a chance for businesses to cast their nets over a very wide area - how the businesses treat their customers is more of interest to whether that business has a long term ethical policy and sees benefit arising from fair dealing.

However, to be fair to Jessops at the moment, as said, they are still within their terms of sale and have the right of refusal right up until the credit card is charged and the item dispatched (and to give them their due they do not charge until dispatch), so let's see what happens over the next week or so.

There is definitely room for improvement in terms of the Jessops customer support and especially the tracking of an order (let alone an item in transit), but perhaps customers will have there say in where they order in future.
Old 27th October 2009
Xpres

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
....so let's see what happens over the next week or so.
I wish you well with your wait, just don't contact them or you'll find your order cancelled before you take your next breath!
Which, as said, thery're within their rights to do however bad it looks for them and their reputation.
Old 27th October 2009

Quote:
I wish you well with your wait, just don't contact them or you'll find your order cancelled before you take your next breath!
Which, as said, thery're within their rights to do however bad it looks for them and their reputation.
I still find aspects of the Jessops cancellation of your order odd - have you checked back with them on the freephone number. When I spoke recently to them they were still saying that the items are on backorder and to check back in a week or so's time (which can mean several different things!).
I would definitely query them re cancelling the item, and whether the cancellation has been the act of someone not fully aware of the supposed back order.

I too have heard mention of "discontinued" item but not on the two occasions of ringing the Jessop's freephone number. So why are they saying two different things? However I would also say that the people on the freephone number do not sound as though they have much info to hand apart from what is available on the so called online order tracking page!

It would be a little easier to second guess this if someone somewhere has had at least one E-30 delivered by Jessops, but at the very least you have not been treated well at all by Jessops and there may be several others to follow suit. So I totally agree with your sentiment!
Old 27th October 2009

Quote:

From where?
make your mind up - there were still there last week and maybe this one too.

I have bought more jessops and curry's deals in the last month than my wife accepts as normal!

pm me
Old 27th October 2009

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

I have never seen ANY OLY stuff in ANY Jessops around my area so I NEVER bother entering the stores anymore.
Keith
Old 27th October 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringneck View Post
I have never seen ANY OLY stuff in ANY Jessops around my area so I NEVER bother entering the stores anymore.
Keith
forgive me or pointing out the obvious but if you don't go in how do you know what's inside now?