Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 10th March 2009

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
11-22 or 9-18 Advice please!

I finally took the plunge after christmas and after years of using a compact camera bought the dslr I had been promising myself for a long time but could never really justify.
I picked up an e510 with 18-180 lens and, although I'm still getting to grips with the technology especially white balance, have generally been very pleased with the results so far but I now want to get into wide angles a bit more.
Be very grateful for any advice as to which lens I should go for - the lens reviews I've read can be too technical for a beginner and seem to indicate pros and cons for each.
Cheers in anticipation!
Old 10th March 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,755 Times in 791 Posts
Re: 11-22 or 9-18 Advice please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyb View Post
I finally took the plunge after christmas and after years of using a compact camera bought the dslr I had been promising myself for a long time but could never really justify.
I picked up an e510 with 18-180 lens and, although I'm still getting to grips with the technology especially white balance, have generally been very pleased with the results so far but I now want to get into wide angles a bit more.
Be very grateful for any advice as to which lens I should go for - the lens reviews I've read can be too technical for a beginner and seem to indicate pros and cons for each.
Cheers in anticipation!
Both are excellent lenses for the money. The 11-22 is probably more useful all round, and is a weather sealed, metal construction, lens - it's also faster. But the 9-18 is great value and a really good performer at the ultra-wide end. It's also amazingly compact.

I think the best response to your question is - what do you intend to use the lens for?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 10th March 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Both are excellent lenses for the money. The 11-22 is probably more useful all round, and is a weather sealed, metal construction, lens - it's also faster. But the 9-18 is great value and a really good performer at the ultra-wide end. It's also amazingly compact.

I think the best response to your question is - what do you intend to use the lens for?

Ian
Hi Ian
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't really have anything specific in mind, just general views, sunsets etc... where I have found the 18-180 a bit lacking in coverage. I take your point though about the 11-22 being faster.
Kevin
Old 11th March 2009
Archphoto

It is a dificult one actualy.

Those 2mm make a diference.

The 11-22 is heavier than the 9-18 and you have IS already.

If you can hold on for a week or so I will post some photo's taken with the 7-14mm beast at 7, 9 and 11mm, so you can get an impression.

I have the 7-14mm and the 11-22mm and use them both in photographing interiors as a Pro.

Greetings,
Peter
Old 11th March 2009

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Kevin

The 11-22mm was the first lens I got after purchasing my E-500 and I have to admit I was blown away by the quality over the kit lenses (14-45 - 40-150).

I have also had the opportunity to use the 9-18 and have recently purchased the 8mm fisheye (wanted the 7-14 but was just too expensive).

As the others had said it is a difficult decision between the 9-18 and the 11-22. My key thoughts are: -

1. Are you likely to upgrade to an E-3 (E-x) in the future and therefore would weathersealing be advantage (obviously the E-510 isn't sealed)

2. Is weight an issue, the 11-22 is slightly heavier/larger than the 9-18, although not that significant.

3. Is having the absolute widest angle necessary. The extra 2mm on the 9-18 is useful, I can email a comparison of the difference if it helps.

4. There is more noticable distortion at the edges of the 9-18 than the 11-22

5. The 11-22 is of better construction than the 9-18, although there is nothing wrong with the 9-18.

6. What are your future intentions, to slowly upgrade your lenses to pro level? Some people have traded in their old 11-22 and 14-54's for the 12-60. So might be worth consider your future upgrades and how this will fit in.

7. Finally and my best piece of advise, get yourself to one of the group outings, either with the E-System Group, Olympus Safari Group, etc. Normally someone has the lens your interested in and are offen willing to let you have a try.

Hope this helps

Regards

Simon
Old 11th March 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

The 9-18 is the perfect companion to a 14-54 or even a 12-60. IMO the extra 2mm at the wide end is useful - I still miss the ultra width of the 7-14 I had and rashly sold, albeit for a good price.
I acknowledge that it isn't weather sealed, but until I bought my E-3 I had survived for 50 years as a keen amateur with non-weatherproof cameras. You just have to take precautions! (Although the splash-resistance does offer a safety blanket)

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 11th March 2009

Hi Simon
Thanks for your helpful reply. If you could email a couple of comparatives that would be really helpful.
Cheers, Kevin