Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 7th December 2015
Kiwi Paul

Those little annoying things....

We all have something that we find irritating and annoying, often little trivial things that don't matter.....

One of mine is the incessant noise the washing machine makes after its finished "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP", repeating every 5 minutes indefinitely.

I mean a little "beep - beep" every half hour would remind you but no no, it has to make it appear like a life or death matter....Grrrrrrrrr, maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.

Anyone else got any irritations to vent?

Paul
Old 7th December 2015

Liked 1,684 Times in 1,084 Posts
Re: Those little annoying things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Paul View Post
Anyone else got any irritations to vent?
Oh yes!

Anyone remember cinema tickets costing 1/9d? In those days you had your money in your hand, and if there was a queue it used to flow smoothly, with maybe no more than 5 seconds for you to pay your money and the ticket delivered, before you moved on.

Now, you join a queue, where you have to choose a seat from a screen. As well as that, the person(s) in front negotiates an order for a 3 course meal (OK - popcorn and drinks!). The whole process takes at least 5mins per customer, instead of the previous 5sec!

Jim
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Kiwi Paul (7th December 2015), PeterBirder (7th December 2015), Zuiko (7th December 2015)
Old 7th December 2015

Liked 41 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Oh yes!

Anyone remember cinema tickets costing 1/9d? In those days you had your money in your hand, and if there was a queue it used to flow smoothly, with maybe no more than 5 seconds for you to pay your money and the ticket delivered, before you moved on.

Now, you join a queue, where you have to choose a seat from a screen. As well as that, the person(s) in front negotiates an order for a 3 course meal (OK - popcorn and drinks!). The whole process takes at least 5mins per customer, instead of the previous 5sec!

Jim
I reckon they've got the doors on back to front at my local cinema. If you are going IN to watch a film with popcorn and a drink, you have to pull the doors open (with no free hands), but when you are leaving AFTER the film (having finished popcorn and drink), then the doors push open to the outside, so hands free.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Kiwi Paul (7th December 2015)
Old 7th December 2015

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
I reckon they've got the doors on back to front at my local cinema. If you are going IN to watch a film with popcorn and a drink, you have to pull the doors open (with no free hands), but when you are leaving AFTER the film (having finished popcorn and drink), then the doors push open to the outside, so hands free.
Same with toilet doors in Supermarkets etc........after washing your hands you have to pull the door open knowing that you saw at least 3 previous "visitors" leave without washing....YUK.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Kiwi Paul (7th December 2015), Ulfric M Douglas (9th December 2015)
Old 7th December 2015

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

How, in many drinking establishments, a " Pint " = 2/3rds beer, 1/3rd froth.

By habit now I always say " When the froth settles, you can fill it to the right measure!"

Many barpeople get very upset by this as they can gain up to 5 pints a night otherwise. If they get too stroppy, I put a beer mat over the glass and announce loudly I am calling Weights and Measures. Surprising how quickly they calm down, even to the offer of a free refill.

Does this qualify me as a Grumpy Old Man ?

David

And how is it we still use Pint measured glasses, when , officially, we are now metric???????????

Last edited by Imageryone; 7th December 2015 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Addition
Kiwi Paul (7th December 2015), Ulfric M Douglas (9th December 2015)
Old 7th December 2015

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

to avoid us in upgrading to drinking in litres on a 1 for 1 exchange basis apart from the price difference.
Crazy Dave (8th December 2015), PeterBirder (7th December 2015)
Old 7th December 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
That will be fire regulations - fire exits must open outwards as in a crush of people trying to get out it would be impossible to open them. They could swing both ways though.
PeterBirder (7th December 2015)
Old 7th December 2015

Liked 2,403 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Oh yes!

Jim
It was much better when the Usherettes used to walk backwards down the aisles waving red torches around. And they used to sell ice cream during the intervals.

I agree about the washing machine bleeping when it has finished. Hardly a matter of life or death is it, although I think ours only bleeps for about ten minutes. But it's still annoying.

I am constantly irritated by misleading signs and notices. How many cash points do you see with "Free Cash" emblazoned over them? Yet they still take the money out of my account.

Then there is misleading advertising, where reading through the T&C's confirms that the offer really is too good to be true, but most of the public take it at face value.

And right now I am regularly irritated by those who spout on about electric cars saving the planet. Have they ever stopped to think "where will the electricity come from to charge them?", and the fact that in most cases electric propulsion simply means "even more pollution somewhere else".

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th December 2015

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts

Posts on here telling me of an upcoming deal on Amazon for the 40-150mm 2.8. Don't keep tempting me!
Old 7th December 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringneck View Post
Same with toilet doors in Supermarkets etc........after washing your hands you have to pull the door open knowing that you saw at least 3 previous "visitors" leave without washing....YUK.
I always use my little finger to pull open the door, for that very reason!

Jim
ringneck (7th December 2015), Wreckdiver (9th December 2015)
Old 7th December 2015

And another thing!

A few days ago outside our house - when one of the biggest ever meetings of World leaders was taking place to discuss global warming - there was a woman standing beside her diesel car making a'phone call, for about 20mins - with the engine running! She did turn it off when I pointed it out, though.

Why can't people just turn their car engines off when they're stationary for any length of time?!

Jim
Old 7th December 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

[quote=Ralph Harwood;368884]That will be fire regulations - fire exits must open outwards as in a crush of people trying to get out it would be impossible to open them.[QUOTE]

Quite right. More important than the possibility of dropping your popcorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
They could swing both ways though.
I understand some people do.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Grumpy Hec (9th December 2015), Kiwi Paul (7th December 2015)
Old 7th December 2015

Quote:
I always use my little finger to pull open the door, for that very reason!

Jim
Is that then the reason some people extend their little finger when holding a teacup?

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 7th December 2015

Motor fuel prices being quoted to 0.99p. Do they think we are all stupid?

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Grumpy Hec (9th December 2015)
Old 7th December 2015

And yet another thing!

Dog owners training their animals to bark!

Many dog owners in our local park appear to actively train their animals to continually bark. They stand, usually chatting to someone else, with a stick or ball in their hand. The dog begins to bark frantically. The owner then rewards the barking by throwing the stick/ball, thus reinforcing the behaviour!

(We had a neighbour that had a dog that constantly barked in their garden. The owner said that it's name was "Nimrod - it's in The Bible and means Mighty Hunter!". I said to my wife that I didn't expect they could find a name in The Bible that meant Noisy Ba5tard!.)

Jim
Naughty Nigel (8th December 2015), Zuiko (8th December 2015)