Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 5th February 2015

Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Exploring the E-M5 II's "High Resolution" mode

Came across this early review of the new EM-5 mark II that has a detailed explanation of the high resolution mode and how it works.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...iiA.HTM#HRMODE

Or if you are in a hurry a quick summary:

Quote:
In High Resolution mode, the E-M5 II fires 8 sequential images across a roughly one-second time period using the electronic shutter, while at the same time using its voice coil-powered sensor-shift image stabilization system to move the sensor very slightly between shots.
Quote:
The end result is either a 40-megapixel JPEG file or that JPEG plus a 64-megapixel ORF file and a 16MP ORI file (not yet supported in common post-processing software).
Quote:
one positive side effect of the E-M5 II's "oversampling" of the image is it pretty much completely eliminates moiré. The multiple exposures also significantly reduce image noise at the ISO 1600 limit imposed in this mode. The overall results are flat-out amazing, subject only to the limitation of completely stationary camera and subject.
Quote:
The conclusion from our lab testing is that the Olympus E-M5 II's new high resolution shot mode is truly ground-breaking for applications involving shooting non-moving imagery from a tripod. Landscape photographers, architectural photographers and studio product photographers can rejoice
Interesting reading, scroll up as well as down for the full article.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Invicta For This Useful Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (14th March 2015), OM USer (6th February 2015), Otto (6th February 2015), Ralph Harwood (5th February 2015), ste_p0270 (6th February 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
ste_p0270 (6th February 2015)
Old 6th February 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Exploring the E-M5 II's "High Resolution" mode

great reading. would really love one when released, but as with my current E-M5, i suspect i'll have to wait a couple of years for the price to drop a bit

looks to be a really fantastic camera though

My Flickr Photostream
Old 7th February 2015

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,421 Times in 1,143 Posts

Love that detail they get with the deconvolution. Maybe I will upgrade to the EM1 mk2 when it comes out if it has this. It's going to be great for macro shooting.
Old 7th February 2015

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts

The 40 Megapixel bit is quite limiting to very static objects. From posts of people trying on FB they say it has limitations even for landscapes
Old 7th February 2015

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Hartland View Post
The 40 Megapixel bit is quite limiting to very static objects. From posts of people trying on FB they say it has limitations even for landscapes
I agree Peter. For studio shots of still life etc, I'm sure it's of huge benefit; but for pretty much anything else I don't think it would be of practical use. It seems that sturdy tripod + static subjects are the pre-requisites.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 7th February 2015

Liked 1,325 Times in 797 Posts

I wonder what percentage of photographers have a tripod solid enough.

David M's Photoblog
Old 8th February 2015

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

The interesting (and good) thing for me is that the Zuiko glass is easily up to resolving the extra detail from the example shots I've seen.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 8th February 2015

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
The interesting (and good) thing for me is that the Zuiko glass is easily up to resolving the extra detail from the example shots I've seen.
Does that mean you've pre-ordered this camera then?
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 8th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Does that mean you've pre-ordered this camera then?
Hi Ross, no I'm not pre-ordering, very nice that it is I don't think the sensor shift will be a practical enough solution for higher resolution images, it's too dependant on a number of factors for me.
The next upgrade for me will have to be a meaningful step up in sensor technology, pixel count, DR and noise handling at higher ISO. Something like a m4/3rds version of the new Samsung sensor.

Edit: The point I was making was that when a real step up in sensor tech. comes we will easily be able to make use of it

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 8th February 2015

Quote:
Hi Ross, no I'm not pre-ordering, very nice that it is I don't think the sensor shift will be a practical enough solution for higher resolution images, it's too dependant on a number of factors for me.
The next upgrade for me will have to be a meaningful step up in sensor technology, pixel count, DR and noise handling at higher ISO. Something like a m4/3rds version of the new Samsung sensor.

Edit: The point I was making was that when a real step up in sensor tech. comes we will easily be able to make use of it
Yeah I know what you mean & I need some decent lenses before thinking about another body anyhow & then, well.......
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 8th February 2015

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Huw,
Whilst new sensor technology should/could yield improvements in DR and noise at high ISO, the physics that give rise to diffraction softening (which gets worse as individual pixel size decreases) means that a meaningful* step up in actual sensor pixel count is unlikely to occur for 43 sensors. [20Mp is likely to be the limit - as has been hinted at in past statements from Olympus.]

*No doubt people's views will vary as to whether a change from 16 to 20Mp is meaningful (in the context of obtaining observably better images).
Old 8th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Huw,
Whilst new sensor technology should/could yield improvements in DR and noise at high ISO, the physics that give rise to diffraction softening (which gets worse as individual pixel size decreases) means that a meaningful* step up in actual sensor pixel count is unlikely to occur for 43 sensors. [20Mp is likely to be the limit - as has been hinted at in past statements from Olympus.]

*No doubt people's views will vary as to whether a change from 16 to 20Mp is meaningful (in the context of obtaining observably better images).
Hi Chris, yes I agree, I too was under the impression that around 20 megapixels would be a limitation with the 4/3rds format but having looked at various examples of the sensor shift from the E-M5 MkII I'm now not so sure.
Have a look at these examples from Image Resource where they are making a comparison with Nikon D810. Now if 20mp was a limitation I'm not sure we would be seeing this sort of sharpness at 100%.
To my eyes the E-M5 MkII is out resolving the Nikon flagship, take a look at the yellow fabric for example. The comparison image they are using was shot at f/8 the upper limit (smallest aperture) set by Olympus for this technique so I guess we could potentially see improvements as the aperture is opened up.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 8th February 2015

Quote:
Hi Chris, yes I agree, I too was under the impression that around 20 megapixels would be a limitation with the 4/3rds format but having looked at various examples of the sensor shift from the E-M5 MkII I'm now not so sure.
Have a look at these examples from Image Resource where they are making a comparison with Nikon D810. Now if 20mp was a limitation I'm not sure we would be seeing this sort of sharpness at 100%.
To my eyes the E-M5 MkII is out resolving the Nikon flagship, take a look at the yellow fabric for example. The comparison image they are using was shot at f/8 the upper limit (smallest aperture) set by Olympus for this technique so I guess we could potentially see improvements as the aperture is opened up.
INMO, diffraction would only be applicable for the pixel density of the sensor used, but not how multiple images are combined & this is why I think that image would look so good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Greytop (9th February 2015)
Old 8th February 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,606 Times in 928 Posts

I guess that there will be future options that provide for 2 or 4 images giving different resolutions, but quicker exposures.

Not many things are static and very few tripods are solid enough.

Hopefully we will see some great shots from the system, although viewing on the internet will be a problem.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 8th February 2015

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Huw,
The point I was making concerned the actual number of photosensing sites on the image sensor, not the number of pixels in an image formed by combining multiple exposures, since for most photographs neither the camera operator nor the subject cannot be relied on to remain entirely stationary whilst the image is recorded.

Even in the case of the EM-5 high res mode the camera is still behaving as recorder which has the diffraction limitations of a 16Mp sensor. It is also the case that unless this mode is used with the highest quality lenses (i.e. the mZD Pro range) the lens manufacturing variances will probably provide the major constraint on the resulting image quality .

Regarding the imaging-resource.com comparisons, I think these are potentially unreliable since "the default (JPEG) settings" in the pictures are subject to the different manufacturers' variances/preferences in the amounts of built-in sharpening & contrast applied as well as possible differences in Anti-aliasing filters.

None of my comments are intended to belittle the achievement of the image combination technique as offered in the new EM-5 II - it's just that I think this will be of very limited general usefulness.
Greytop (9th February 2015)