Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 8th December 2014

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,139 Posts
Best tablet to use with an EM1?

I'm thinking of getting a tablet to use generally and want to make sure it's going to be OK with the wireless functions of the EM1. Not started any real research yet but do like the look of the Samsung Galaxy note 10.1 with the s pen feature. Anyone any idea if this would be ok or if there are better options around?
Any help very gratefully received as tablets are something I've no idea about.
Old 9th December 2014

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,160 Posts
Re: Best tablet to use with an EM1?

While the iPad works with the camera OK, it is an absolute pain in transferring anything from iPad to PC & PC to iPad without iTunes (& with other software). I hate iTunes.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
OM USer (9th December 2014), Phill D (9th December 2014)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (9th December 2014), raichea (10th December 2014), Ralph Harwood (9th December 2014)
Old 9th December 2014

Liked 702 Times in 372 Posts

Not too happy with the Samsung Note 10.1. They (Samsung) totally drop the support for it a few months after the launch.

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to blu-by-u For This Useful Post:
Phill D (9th December 2014)
Old 9th December 2014

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,139 Posts

Thanks Ross that's just the type of user experience I was after. Difficulty with file transfer to make back-ups on holidays would be a big demerit for an iPad in my book.
Blu-by-u that doesn't sound very good either for the Samsung especially as the one I was looking at was a new update for 2014- hopefully that's fully supported. If you have the Note 10.1 can you give me a few other comments i.e how does it cope with file transfer for holiday backups and does the android system interface with the EM1 as well as the iPad reportedly does? Any gripes with its operation in general?
Old 9th December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Thanks Ross that's just the type of user experience I was after. Difficulty with file transfer to make back-ups on holidays would be a big demerit for an iPad in my book.
Blu-by-u that doesn't sound very good either for the Samsung especially as the one I was looking at was a new update for 2014- hopefully that's fully supported. If you have the Note 10.1 can you give me a few other comments i.e how does it cope with file transfer for holiday backups and does the android system interface with the EM1 as well as the iPad reportedly does? Any gripes with its operation in general?
When using the iPad for transferred files by wifi it does reduce the size too plus no storage of raw files & I think that applies to android too. You're better off having a number of SD cards.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Old 9th December 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

There are software apps for the iPad which make cross-transfer of files to and from PC easy. The major stumbling block is that iPads cannot take microSD cards to enhance storage. On the other hand, once again apps can allow you to use certain, powered, external HDDs.

Every Samsung product I have bought has failed just outside warranty. I am not alone in this experience.

Best is to buy a small laptop, either Apple or PC.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Old 9th December 2014

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts

I use my iPad to control my E-M1 using OIS and it does a good job however, I transfer images to my PC using a card reader.

You may want to look at the HUDL2, my wife had one and has used OIS on it to control her E-M10 it appears to work as well as the iPad at a fraction of the cost.

Should my iPad die, I'd certainly consider the HUDL2 as a replacement.

I hope this helps.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
Old 9th December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
I use my iPad to control my E-M1 using OIS and it does a good job however, I transfer images to my PC using a card reader.

You may want to look at the HUDL2, my wife had one and has used OIS on it to control her E-M10 it appears to work as well as the iPad at a fraction of the cost.

Should my iPad die, I'd certainly consider the HUDL2 as a replacement.

I hope this helps.

Dave
It might be possible to transfer images that way, but what about PDFs? I usually just download them again on the ipad, but it would be nice to be able to copy them easily. I was using Ixilsoft (for a price) on my laptop with win 8 that has stopped working & now I use an HP laptop with win 7. I haven't added anything yet. The other pain with the ipad is its inability to display certain web sites like this live weather site (I think requires 'flash player') http://www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/weather/springwood/ Still if android tablets have their problems too, then use the best of the bad bunch then, but I do agree with Stephen, go for a small PC laptop.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 9th December 2014

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
While the iPad works with the camera OK, it is an absolute pain in transferring anything from iPad to PC & PC to iPad without iTunes (& with other software).
I think this may be a bit overstated. Install Photo Transfer App on iPad and you only need web browser on PC or Mac - no software required on desktop/laptop and done wirelessly.

I bought an iPad rather than Samsung albeit nearly 2 years ago because photo support seemed so much better supported on the former. It is of course, more than likely that Android has improved in the interim.

What do you want to use the tablet for? Until you have answered that question it is impossible to make a recommendation.

Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adagio For This Useful Post:
Phill D (9th December 2014), Ross the fiddler (9th December 2014)
Old 9th December 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Phill, I bought the Samsung Tablet 10.1 two years ago for "showing proof images in my Flickr" - and picking up emails when away from home a BONUS it is invaluable with the ONE just to look at your captures (on the journey home - while Nicks driving or on the train or coach).
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 9th December 2014

Liked 331 Times in 159 Posts

I looked into this specifically for photography using my OMD1 and holidays and have gone down the route of a 10" Notebook PC running Windows 8.1. It is a ASUS X102BA AMD A-Series 10.1 Inch 4GB 500GB Touch (Argos 220). Brought it on Black Friday so still getting to know it. Not keen on the Windows start screen so mainly use desktop. It does run apps although I am not fully into this yet.

It has; USB3 & USB 2 ports, HDMI output, a SDHC card slot, a 500GB drive I am using it with Olympus Capture (via the USB cable it is very quick and pictures downloaded to PC), Olympus Viewer 3, Cardrecovery software, Lightroom 5.7 64bit (although a bit slow and not for serious editing). Hoping Adobe will bring a Windows app out like the mobile version. The main use will be to sort and rate pictures using colour coding and then export catalogue for main desktop pc.

File transfer is very quick using USB3 and the on board card reader. Because it has touch screen Olympus Capture work with the AF touching the screen if that's the way you want to shoot.

Not sure if this helps as you have not said why you want a tablet, is it for the size or the running of apps?

Good luck with your choice.

John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following User Says Thank You to birdboy For This Useful Post:
OM USer (9th December 2014)
Old 9th December 2014

Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts

I have the Samsung Tab S 10.5 and that works ok with the EM-1 & the Olympus app.Great screen to..
Bruce Clarke (12th December 2014)
Old 9th December 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
I looked into this specifically for photography using my OMD1 and holidays and have gone down the route of a 10" Notebook PC running Windows 8.1. It is a ASUS X102BA AMD A-Series 10.1 Inch 4GB 500GB Touch (Argos 220). Brought it on Black Friday so still getting to know it. Not keen on the Windows start screen so mainly use desktop. It does run apps although I am not fully into this yet.

It has; USB3 & USB 2 ports, HDMI output, a SDHC card slot, a 500GB drive I am using it with Olympus Capture (via the USB cable it is very quick and pictures downloaded to PC), Olympus Viewer 3, Cardrecovery software, Lightroom 5.7 64bit (although a bit slow and not for serious editing). Hoping Adobe will bring a Windows app out like the mobile version. The main use will be to sort and rate pictures using colour coding and then export catalogue for main desktop pc.

File transfer is very quick using USB3 and the on board card reader. Because it has touch screen Olympus Capture work with the AF touching the screen if that's the way you want to shoot.

Not sure if this helps as you have not said why you want a tablet, is it for the size or the running of apps?

Good luck with your choice.

John
I think, given the amount of FREE Wifi available now - I would go down the small Toshiba Notebook route then I can add in Photo download and editing software too

Phill, want a Samsung tablet ? going very cheap
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
Old 9th December 2014

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
I'm thinking of getting a tablet to use generally and want to make sure it's going to be OK with the wireless functions of the EM1. Not started any real research yet but do like the look of the Samsung Galaxy note 10.1 with the s pen feature. Anyone any idea if this would be ok or if there are better options around?
Any help very gratefully received as tablets are something I've no idea about.
Hi Phill,
I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (with S Pen) a couple of years ago and its been a perfect solution for taking on trips backing up and viewing images taken. At the time I went for the 16 GB version purchased a 64GB microSD and popped that in for the extra storage. No messing with ITunes or extra software for transfering of files, just plug your SD card or USB stick into a readily available adapter and Bob's your Uncle.... simple
To be honest I haven't tried the wifi with the E-M1 because it's so easy with plugging in the SD card. Now you've mentioned it I'll give it a go.
Btw I'm still using the very same tablet on daily basis and I'm still very pleased with it.

Edit: The wifi works perfectly

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
Phill D (9th December 2014), Ross the fiddler (9th December 2014)
Old 9th December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
I think, given the amount of FREE Wifi available now - I would go down the small Toshiba Notebook route then I can add in Photo download and editing software too

Phill, want a Samsung tablet ? going very cheap
That's fine except Android or iPad/iPhone are suited for Olympus iShare but PCs aren't, unless you use this program to run it. http://www.digitalkamera.de/Fototipp...trol/9024.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post: