Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 2nd December 2008
Jeremy Evans

Shooting at Rungis Market

Hello
I will be shooting at the Rungis Food Market in Paris next week with my E3 + 12-60. This is not my normal kind of photography so I would welcome advice.
Apparently the market is huge, the lighting is bright and there is lots of colour to photograph with produce, people, cafes and bars.
Will I need to use my F50 flash or can I just shoot with high ISO and no flash which would be much easier? If yes, what ISO setting would you recommend?
I presume that IS could be useful - something I have never tried. As a general guide, how slow can you shoot, hand holding a 12-60 with IS turned on?
These photos are for a glossy A4 trade magazine so need to be excellent quality for repro. Normally I aim to get my pix right when I shoot so LSF works fine, but for this shoot would it be safer to shoot RAW?
any advice would be interesting
thanks
Jeremy
Old 2nd December 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Shooting at Rungis Market

Can't answer most of the questions - however I would recommend raw, you lose nothing (except the time to put the shots through a raw processor + perhaps some card space).

If you put the raws through Master/Studio you'll get effectively the same shots as in camera - but with the ability to tweak the exposure/white balance/noise - before you lose any information.

But I'd try a few Raw shots before you go.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 2nd December 2008

Liked 90 Times in 39 Posts

I would probably try to avoid using flash as it can be a bit obtrusive and might annoy people. I would prefer to use a higher ISO but if the venue is well lit you might not have to go too high. The E-3 produces very good results at ISO 800 and even higher.

Image stabilisation is definitely worth using. At the wide end of the 12-60 you should be able to get good shots down to 1/15th or even 1/8th of a second. A useful technique when shooting with slow shutter speeds is to lean against a handy wall or pillar to steady yourself. Another is to place something like a fleece hat or, even better if you have one, a beanbag on a flat surface and rest the camera on that. If you are able to use a tripod, that is the best solution but for that Olympus recommend that IS is turned off.

As Nick says, RAW gives you the greatest flexibility but with the E-3 you can choose to shoot RAW and JPEG simultaneously. You mention that the venue is well lit but you might have to be careful with the white balance if shooting JPEGs under varied artificial lighting.

I hope you enjoy your shoot at the market and come home with some good pictures

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 2nd December 2008
Makonde

JohnGG has covered most of it. I'd take the flash along too, for fill-in or bounce as an option, especially if you have to take shots of people getting awards or suchlike.

I have to cover indoor events from time to time for a magazine & website. These places ought to be full of shots but there are usually problems with too much in the frame, people moving, things obscuring other things, and as JGG mentioned, confused white balance. The latter is a deciding reason to shoot RAW.

You will probably want to get up close to subjects and use a fairly shallow DOF to reduce distraction from all the background movement. With static subjects you can shoot at 1/16 or thereabouts at the wide end, and about 1/25th at around 15 - 20mm, but I wouldn't rely on it, and you don't get a good enough impression using the LCD for checking. If using high ISO (1600+) and it's not night, I suggest you over-expose very slightly (1/3 EV) and when you convert in RAW you will reduce quite a bit of noise at the black end when you reduce the exposure a tad. You may lose some highlights but that's the compromise.

Good luck!
Old 3rd December 2008
Jeremy Evans

That's very helpful advice - thanks very much. I'll let you know how I get on!
Old 3rd December 2008

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

even if it is well lit I would use the flash - in fact well lit in this context is likely to be from above and leave you with a lot of shadows on subjects shot from a horizontal position.

not only will a touch of flash fill these shadows but in a well lit environment it won't be that obtrusive either.

none of this rules out everything said above - I would only aim for about 1 stop contribution from the flash