Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 21st September 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Marsh Tit... he gets a little closer!

Been up to my hide today, and the outlook I have to say, is excellent. The place is riddled with birds now, and today I spotted Wren, Robin, Common Buzzard, Green Woody, Greater Spotted Woody, Marsh Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Nuthatch, Chaffinch, Raven, Crow and heard a few more. The birds around the feeding station are starting to associate me with food, and are not afraid to come close both whilst I am filling the feeders and when I am sat there camera in hand.

As the whole area is under a woodland canopy, despite the sunny weather it is still quite dark and high ISO selection is the order of the day.

I managed this one of the Marsh Tit as he/she came a little closer to me (I was not in the hide at the time). He was about 18' away from where I sat down to take in the surroundings.

Marsh Tit

Old 21st September 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts
Re: Marsh Tit... he gets a little closer!

John, it looks as so all your hard work and preparation is really starting to pay dividends. It seems to prove that successful wildlife photography is 10% technique and 90% knowledge of your subject and dedication!

Great stuff, I eagerly look forward to seeing more from your hide!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st September 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Thanks John, as the weather forecast for tomorrow is for more of the same, I might very well take a trip up there again in the morning. I will try to get closer still tomorrow so I can get the pin-sharp image of the Marsh Tit I am after.

I still have some experimenting to do re the position of the feeders and camera for what could be the best angle for shots - given the lighting conditions up there. As I mentioned, despite it being very sunny and warm, the area is mainly under a woodland canopy and is not the brightest of locations - this will hopefully improve as we move into the Autumn and Winter with the leaves disappearing etc.

Today I took that shot sat on the floor adjacent to the feeders and didn't have any camo gear or my hide with me. I will make sure I have the pop-up hide with me tomorrow, and now that the birds are beginning to be more comfortable with me there, I might be able to get in a little closer.

Fingers crossed...

Old 22nd September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, it really does make all your efforts worthwhile when you get a picture like that