Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 23rd November 2013

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Best enthusiast-level camera - Olympus OM-D E-M1

DPReview have just posted an enthusiast cameras review up and guess what comes top thats a change to a couple of years back

Times a changing

Dave
Old 23rd November 2013

Liked 3,122 Times in 886 Posts
Re: Best enthusiast-level camera - Olympus OM-D E-M1

What, the Nikon D7100? I could have predicted that.

Nice to see the E-M1 up there with the best but I have to agree with one of the comments. Why isn't there a Panasonic in there?

Ron
Old 23rd November 2013

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Whilst not trying to detract for Olympus's accolade for that result I tend not to like genralisations, and lumping all the different formats together is doing that as each has its strengths & weaknesses.
Its a case of different horses for different courses for me.

If I wanted a DSLR's performance & features then I'd probably be putting the Canon eos70D at the top of the list as its one of the best enthusiast DSLR's out at present.

If I wanted a CSC and wasn't worried about AF speed/ automated bells & whistles then the X-Pro1 wins hands down, nothing short of a pro level full frame can beat it for iQ and even then not all can beat its low noise at high ISO's and I haven't found anything else that can beat if for jpg's straight out of the camera.

If I wanted the AF performance along with more bells & whistles but without the bulk of a DSLR then I'd buy an EM1 ... oh wait.. I did .

If it was a compact I was after that would fit in my pocket then its off to sony for an RX100 mk2.

I have no brand loyalty at all, I see my camera's as tools, each chosen for specific tasks and I think thats where generalising can be a bad thing as such reviews tend to concentrate on the strong points whilst playing down the weak points.

M43 has come a long way since the early panny's, they where dire back then, low light was a complete no go, noise was abysmal at anything over ISO400, my first system lasted 1 month before it was traded in towards a new DSLR. So I guess its a testament to how far oly has come for me to have parted with a serious wad of cash to jump into the system.

I cant manage a full size DSLR, (severely disabled) but I can manage the EM1 and with a bit of ingenuity the 50-200mm SWD, this means I can shoot birds again, something I cant with the fuji as they haven't released a long enough lens yet and dont seem to have any plans to do so.

When shooting portraits or low light the fuji comes out, when shooting the birds or for fun with good light the oly comes out, or both do.
If I want to shoot film then either the Nikon FM or F501 depending on what I'm shooting.

As I said each has its strengths & weaknesses but between them all the bases are covered.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
brian1208 (23rd November 2013), Olybirder (23rd November 2013), Phill D (23rd November 2013), Wally (23rd November 2013)
Old 23rd November 2013

Thanked 1,128 Times in 705 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

Wise words. Problem is, that once you get locked into a system it becomes more difficult to break free. Uphill struggle working out the different settings etc., then the lens to suit the different fittings? Costly, to say the least, which is why many stay with what they feel comfortable with.

For the pro, different kit makes sense - as said, a tool for each job - whereas, for Joe Average, once a decision is made they are stuck 'brand loyalty' with it.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 23rd November 2013

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Hi

I was flagging it more from the fact that a few years back these reviews and things would have never put an Oly 4/3 camera at the top (other than the E1) but the OMD's do seem to be getting things right

I also agree that the best camera for you may not be the best for someone else for all manner of reasons from size to spec, I think the EM1 does seem to tick a lot of boxes and will start changing peoples perceptions - thats not to say the next great super etc... camera isn't a Canikon DSLR

Dave