Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 22nd January 2013
Old Junior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rec View?

Can anyone advise please.
Is it possible to set up the EM-5 so that it automatically displays the image just taken for review on the rear monitor when the EVF is used to frame the image?

Regards
Roy
Old 22nd January 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Rec View?

Hi Roy, Have you downloaded the full manual, if so its page 85.
Go to spanner, 4th down ( Rec View ) select time you want the picture just taken to show on screen, from .3 sec to 20 secs
Hope thats what your after
Old 22nd January 2013
Old Junior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Peter
Thanks for response. I have read the manual and noted the reference you give however when I take an image with live view the image is reviewed on rear monitor and when I use the EVF the review is on the EVF. What I would like to do is frame image in the EVF and have it come up for review on the rear monitor just like the E system SLR's. It must be possible if not an urgent firmware update is required.

Regards
Old 22nd January 2013
Old Junior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Peter
Thanks for response. I have read the manual and noted the reference you give however when I take an image with live view the image is reviewed on rear monitor and when I use the EVF the review is on the EVF. What I would like to do is frame image in the EVF and have it come up for review on the rear monitor just like the E system SLR's. It must be possible if not an urgent firmware update is required.

Regards
Roy
Old 22nd January 2013

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

If you go into Rec View and set it to Auto, this makes it switch to Playback mode, and it will stay up till you half press the shutter. You can also delete, and cycle through the view modes.

If you shoot with the EVF, keep your eye to the VF until the playback comes up on the EVF, then when you take your eye away, it will switch to the rear screen if you have auto switching enabled on the EVF.

Bruce
Old 22nd January 2013
Old Junior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Bruce thanks for that, this does work to a degree but on my camera if you remove eye from EVF before data has finished writing to memory card camera reverts to live view.

I do not want live view on I just want to be able to see the image on the back screen.
This can be achieved by switching EVF Auto switch to off but then the super control panel is not available as the info button scrolls through the EVF overlays and there is no way I can see to switch off the EVF.
Even once it has timed out the info button only re-activates the EVF overlays.

Although not convinced by the OM-D WOW experience I attended last year I was persuaded by a respected member of this forum to give the EM-5 at least a chance before I cut my losses and ditched all my Olympus gear in favour of another system.
My reason as previously stated is that there has been no information forthcoming on a replacement body for my extensive investment in four thirds glass.

I did not start this thread to complain but recently everything Olympus is a compromise or a workaround, from broken bezels, a CAF system that has never worked, tethered shooting or 3rd party support in mainstream software to name a few.
I know others have their problems but not all at once.

And now with this bad experience of an EVF and with the 99% chance that any future Olympus camera will have an EVF I am not relishing the prospect.

End of Rant.

If there is an elegant solution to this issue then will be happy to hear it and give the OM-D a chance.

Regards
Roy
Old 22nd January 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Have you got the button on the right of the "prism" set to auto-switch between EVF and LCD?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 22nd January 2013
Old Junior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Have you got the button on the right of the "prism" set to auto-switch between EVF and LCD?
Hi Stephen
I have tried it both on and off with the conditions as described above. When off and Rec View on auto I get a display of last image taken but unable to access the info screen. With it on I have to wait until data has written to card before removing eye from EVF and then cancel the monitor display by a half shutter press. I am currently using an old SD card I had laying about to test the OM-D (8GB Class 6) maybe a faster card would help but again a compromise/workaround.

Regards
Roy
Old 22nd January 2013

Hi Roy, you can access the SCP by pressing the OK button either on the EVF or rear screen. A faster SD card would help. Mine (Class 10) writes JPG+Raw in about half a second, which is acceptable to me, but if you were doing action, it probably wouldn't be.

Bruce
Old 22nd January 2013

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

I've got the same gripe as Roy. I like to capture an image via the evf and then see it for a few seconds on the monitor. It seems that this is not a possibility.
I wonder why?
It seems a fairly standard basic requirement to me.
Or am I missing something?

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seonnaidh For This Useful Post:
Melaka (22nd January 2013)
Old 22nd January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seonnaidh View Post
I've got the same gripe as Roy. I like to capture an image via the evf and then see it for a few seconds on the monitor. It seems that this is not a possibility.
I wonder why?
It seems a fairly standard basic requirement to me.
Or am I missing something?
It only works if you set Rec View to Auto, which has to be cleared with a half press of the shutter. It's annoying that it doesn't work with the timed views. Moving your eye away from the EVF just cancels the preview then.

Bruce
Old 22nd January 2013

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

By Jove I think I've got it!
Thank you very much. My life gets better by the minute.

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.
Old 22nd January 2013

Jolly good! I've used Auto - Record View since it became available, but of course with DSLRs, there's no EVF to complicate things. I mainly shoot landscapes, so having the playback stay up till I've finished with it suits me.

Bruce
Old 22nd January 2013

Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,453 Posts
Liked 1,449 Times in 926 Posts

I'm happy with my settings (I think) but it took me ages to find the "Record View" option in the manual (I expected it in the "cogs" section) and then some further fiddling on the camera to find the "setup" menu just to check what I had set it to (one second it turns out). No use looking at the rear screen for me as without my reading glasses its all a blur.
Thank you all for reminding me how it all works.
Old 26th January 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
I'm happy with my settings (I think) but it took me ages to find the "Record View" option in the manual (I expected it in the "cogs" section) and then some further fiddling on the camera to find the "setup" menu just to check what I had set it to (one second it turns out). No use looking at the rear screen for me as without my reading glasses its all a blur.
Thank you all for reminding me how it all works.
It took me a while, too. I hadn't discovered the Auto setting in 'Record View', but I now find enabling it does at least give the option to delete a photo you've just taken without having to press the (most inconvenient) play button first.

So if I've taken something that's obviously useless I can delete it quickly and easily. Unless, of course, you've used the VF and taken it away from your eye too quickly. Which for me is anything less than about three seconds with the SD card I'm now using.

Rens

Last edited by Rens; 26th January 2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Adding sentence