Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 18th November 2011

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Advice on PC specification

Hi,

My motherboard having failed, I'm in the market for a new PC and am planning to build my own using a mixture of old and new components, but am frankly bewildered by the range of processors and motherboards available together with their facilities.

My current PC was a 3ghz Intel core2duo with 4gb of DDR2 800mhz memory and a 320gb hard drive (sata II 3gb). Graphic card was an Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 640mb.

I hope to reuse my current case and PSU and HDD (for data) with a new motherboard, processor, memory and an SSD for system and apps. If I replace the Graphics card I'd like to use a fanless one from ATI (Sapphire HD6670or similar) as I like to play the occasional game.

Basically, it seems I could spend an awful lot on the new components but don't really want to splash out on performance I don't need.

Any recommendations for the motherboard, processor, memory and an SSD would be most welcome. I currently use Photoshop Elements 9 and print to an Epson R3000.

Not interested in a Mac or a laptop.

thanks
Sid
Old 18th November 2011

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts
Re: Advice on PC specification

Hi

I think you need to set a budget to work within first albeit 500, 1000, 2000 etc as this will then denote the type of motherboard, graphics card, ram etc you can use.

You may find that your case may or may not be suitable for various types of motherboard.

All the best

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 18th November 2011

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

I'm afraid I don't build PC's any more, iut's just not worth it.

I bought a dell with an i7 3.4 cpu, 8 gb ram, radeon 6670,3TB hard drive, blu ray, win 7 etc for 600 yesterday from dell outlet, I couldn't buy the parts for that.
Old 18th November 2011
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with the "buy rather than build" argument - and always found when I tried incremental upgrades that I'd run into problems with ever-changing standards (like, "ooh, processors don't use socket 342B any more, you need a motherboard with socket 381G - and they won't use DDR3 memory with black chips, you'll be needing the new green chips"). It's a minefield.

On the other hand, building gets you nearer to being able to use the standard parts you want - people like Dell seem to use "specials" quite a lot, which goes some way to explaining the pricing.

Then there's factoring in the cost of an OS (if needed) - which seems to be a nominal part of the pre-built price.

Sad fact is that the sorts of things we use PCs for are so mundane, performance isn't that much of an issue any more - just lots of memory, lots of storage and an accurate colour rendering.
Old 18th November 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd agree that buying is as cheap as building these days and significantly more so if say you want to migrate from Xp/Vista to Win7. PCWorld sell base units only - they have a Compaq at 239 at present with Win7 64bit on it. Only 2GB of RAM on it but for 329 you can get an HP with 4GB of RAM and a 1TB disk drive. They also do refurbished stock sales complete with standard guarantee. If you are looking to build yourself have a look at the Maplin bundles where they'll sell you a motherboard/cpu/memory pack that are guaranteed to be compatible.
Old 19th November 2011

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Thanks to those that replied.

I don't want to buy a complete system as my case (Antec Solo) and power supply are optimised for quiet/silent running - the commercial offerings from Dell, HP et al will not match them for quietness at the price levels being mooted.

I've already got a Windows 7 licence (changed to it last year).

Budget is approx 500.

thanks
Sid
Old 19th November 2011

Liked 349 Times in 144 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

DABS have a DIY kit here that I've been considering as an upgrade to my machine.

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-in...J0Y.html?src=3

SSD drives seem quite expensive and reading some of Ian's more recent posts may not be all they're cracked up to be. You could reuse your video card. I bought a cheap fanless one from PC World a couple of months ago which does what I want but may not be good enough if you're into gaming (which I'm not).

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 19th November 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

I buy "Bare Bones" or "bits" from novatech, google it ! best of luck !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album