Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 28th August 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts
Sigma 50-500 problem

Sorry put this on the end of The Music mans thread about Dunnocks.

Thought I'd start a new one.

Originally Posted by tlove

Unfortunately, my 50-500 has got to go back to Sigma next month . Since my E-3 was replaced, the lens hasn't been performing very well, and I suspect hasn't from new but the problem with my E-3 masked it to a certain extent. However, it is a fantastic lens (if rather heavy, although that may be just me ), and produces some stunning results, as seen here !

Thea

Out of interest what problem does your 50-500 have.Mine seems to have developed a problem that when you try to auto focus at between 400-500mm
at closer that about 25 feet it will rattle back and forth around the point of focus but never quite focus.At distance it seems ok and up to 400mm is seems ok.

Guess mine will be going back to Sigma soon.

Ps any comments from other Bigma owners welcome

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 28th August 2008
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sigma 50-500 problem

Q. Was your Bigma a UK or import model?

If it was an import, you may have a problem with Sigma. I contacted them recently about getting my Bigma cleaned, and without it being purchased from a UK supplier and with paper work, they will charge.
Old 28th August 2008

John

Got in London at Camera World,so no problem hopefully.

Andy

My Flickr
Old 28th August 2008
tlove

Sorry to hear you're having problems with yours too Andy .

Mine has always struggled a bit against cloudy/bright skies, producing a significant blue 'fringe' around the object (e.g. bird in flight), which I put down to the lens - not being 'pro' spec - not being able to handle the conditions, plus the images have not always been 'tack sharp' (you can call me picky ). I shoot in RAW and post-shooting processing using Adobe RAW converter doesn't remove the fringing.

Now I have had my wayward E-3 replaced, the problems have become significantly worse. Every picture I take is now 'soft'. The images look blurred, even taken at 1/800 sec (you can see a little blurry halo around the edges of objects, and the image itself is generally soft). This happens at both ends of the zoom spectrum, and all points in between .

I emailed some sample images to Sigma, who confirmed that the images are too soft, and that they need the lens (and camera) to calibrate it and adjust to tolerances. Focussing has never been much of a problem except in poor light conditions, but image quality has.
Old 21st September 2008
grumpy69

Reading through your post about sigma lenses would you not recommend just this one or all the sigma range, should I just look for Olympus ??
Old 21st September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy69 View Post
Reading through your post about sigma lenses would you not recommend just this one or all the sigma range, should I just look for Olympus ??

Hi

There does seem to a bit of a question mark over Sigma's quality control.That said I know a lot of other forum members have Sigma lenses and have no problems.
Its also a question of what you can get for the price.I would have liked to have got the Olympus 300mm but at about £4000.00 its not an option.The 50-500 is the only semi affordable lens at that focal length.
My lens is optically very good and I have got some very good results with it.I have had the problem for a while but have been using it focusing manually.

My lens is with Sigma at the moment and with a bit of luck will be back the week after next.

Andy

My Flickr
Old 21st September 2008
tlove

Quote:
I know this probably sounds daft, but even though there are a few of us Olympus Bigma owners with a problem lens, there are an awful lot more out there who have had absolutely no problems with theirs.

The Bigma is a cracking lens, capable of producing very sharp images, such as this one (one of my early ones with the lens):

so don't be put off by problems suffered by the few. Even though I have a problem with mine at the moment, don't let it put you off getting one.

Just make sure you don't get an import !

Andy - glad to see you've managed to get yours there at last. Let's see who gets theirs back first !
Old 21st September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlove View Post
Andy - glad to see you've managed to get yours there at last. Let's see who gets theirs back first !
Thea

They have had it for just over a week now.I am out of the country next week.
They told me they were running at about 2-3 week with repairs when I dropped it in with them.

Let us know when you get yours back and what they have done.

Andy

My Flickr
Old 21st September 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I agree with Thea in that the Bigma is quite capable of producing some stunningly sharp images given the right conditions (i.e. that you can expect of such a non pro level lens).

Here's two of mine:

Peregrine:

Blue Tit:

Old 23rd September 2008
grumpy69

My local camera shop say sigma go up to a 800 wow. Thanks guys for the advise.
Old 23rd September 2008
tlove

Quote:
My local camera shop say sigma go up to a 800 wow.
They sure do - and I'm sure your local supplier would be more than happy to see you if you've got £4000 going spare for one !

I think I'll stick to my 50-500mm for now thanks
Old 10th October 2008

Just an update.

I was told by Sigma early this week that they had the spare part in stock now and would fit it and my lens should be ready by last Wednesday.
As I herd nothing I have just phoned them today to be told that they fitted a new focus motor and what they called a match circuit???
They then went on to tell me that the match cct failed and they have ordered another one from abroad and this should be with them early next week.
What this match cct does I do not know.I can only assume that its some kind of impedance matching between the body and the lens.

Will keep you updated.

Andy

My Flickr
Old 10th October 2008
tlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Just an update.

I was told by Sigma early this week that they had the spare part in stock now and would fit it and my lens should be ready by last Wednesday.
As I herd nothing I have just phoned them today to be told that they fitted a new focus motor and what they called a match circuit???
They then went on to tell me that the match cct failed and they have ordered another one from abroad and this should be with them early next week.
What this match cct does I do not know.I can only assume that its some kind of impedance matching between the body and the lens.

Will keep you updated.
Sorry to hear that Andy . My other half phoned up to enquire about mine today - apparently it has a faulty chip (!). They ordered one (probably came on the same plane as your bit ), have now fitted it and will calibrate it all next Monday/Tuesday. They hope to ship it back to me next week (approx. mid week). We'll wait and see.......
Old 20th October 2008
tlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Just an update.

Will keep you updated.
Hi Andy - have you got yours back yet?

Still haven't got mine back

We were told mine had a faulty chip - that was three chips ago (up to last Friday).

My other half is going to phone them tomorrow, and if still no joy getting a bit that works he'll be demanding a replacement lens.

They've had it (and my E-3 - getting cross now ) since 15 September, so I think we've given them more than a fair time to sort it now.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 20th October 2008

Hi Thea

I phoned last Friday and was told that they had the spare part and it was on the priority list for early this week. Now I'll believe this if I get the phone call.
I'll give them a couple more days.
Sounds like a good strategy to demand a new one.May have to try this myself.
Keep an eye on your serial number you may end up with mine and I yours.

Must be more frustrating for you as they have the E3 also.

Keep us updated.

Andy

My Flickr