Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 29th March 2008
Sam M

Tripod recommendation

Looking for a sturdy tripod. (Currently have a basic, light weight Manfrotto, which is great, but need something more solid and height.)

Current thoughts are:

Silk PRO700DX 130

Manfrotto MN055 XPROB with MN804 head 150

(Read thread about Benro Flexpod C-297n6, but can't find any info elsewhere...)

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Sam
Old 29th March 2008

Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Tripod recommendation

This might be of interest to you am considering one myself.Manfrotto 055PROB Black Tripod see the link below £119 with head.

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/shop/Manf...D=6343&tabID=8
Old 29th March 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If you're happy with your current Manfrotto (I am with mine) I'd go for another Manfrotto.
Old 29th March 2008

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam M View Post
Looking for a sturdy tripod. (Currently have a basic, light weight Manfrotto, which is great, but need something more solid and height.)

Current thoughts are:

Silk PRO700DX £130

Manfrotto MN055 XPROB with MN804 head £150

(Read thread about Benro Flexpod C-297n6, but can't find any info elsewhere...)

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Sam
Manfrotto have confusing part numbers. For MN804 do you mean the 804RC2 head? If so I would suggest a stronger head. I had a 804RC2 for just one week and sent it back. The plate was not strong enough to hold my E300. The quick release would work lose.

For the MN055 XPROB if this is the same as the 190XPROB I have these legs. They are good but a little short so if height is critical have a closer look before commiting.
Old 30th March 2008

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

go for the Benbo...if you need portability get the trekker otherwise try for a MkII - mine must be nearly 30 years old an is still going strong
Old 30th March 2008
Jim

Personally I picked up the Manfrotto 190XPROB + 460MG Tripod Kit @133 inc. free delivery, the 'Pro' means that the center column can be swung around to horizontal without removing the head or disassembling the column itself, so switching between framing and positioning setups is more convenient than ever.

the 460Mg is a 3-way tilt head but has thumb locks rather than the type that have a long metal handle that makes the head bulky and harder to transport.
Old 30th March 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
go for the Benbo...if you need portability get the trekker otherwise try for a MkII - mine must be nearly 30 years old an is still going strong
I had a Benbo MK I and a Benbo monopod for a number of years. They were very well made, indestructible and a unique, clever design but to be honest I could never get used to it, it was like wrestling an octopus so I sold them and got a Manfrotto. If you have to get your tripod in unusual positions they are great, but for normal use I'd definitely have a try of one befor buying.
Old 30th March 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

I have been watching this thread with great interest. I too wish to purchase a tripod but have been hesitating because I have made the mistake of putting into use a tripod purchased for my E500 which turned out not to be suitable for the E3 + Telephoto lens. Whatever I did the the unbalanced weight of the camera + lens caused the lens to dip down and It was not very stable in that, just touching the camera caused it to move.

PeterD
Old 30th March 2008
Chillimonster

Manfrotto 190xProB with RC322 Grip release here. The head is as important as the legs with any tripod purchase - hence the reasoning behind my purchase of the 322. allows quicks changes with one hand, without moving your eye from the viewfinder.
Old 30th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use a Gitzo 3530 with the BH-55 RRS Ballhead .... I am very please with its ruggedness, support, build and ease of use ....

Oh and some advice on selecting, whatever you get, just make sure it can hold your largest lens/camera combo ... unless you don't plan on using anything big on it ... ie. the tripod is rated at about 29lbs and the ballhead I have is rated at something ridiculous like 45lbs or something along that line. There are the smaller/lighter versions of course so it really depends on how many pods you want to purchase, how much you have in your skyrocket and what you are willing to carry, weight-wise.
Old 30th March 2008
Sam M

Thanks for all the feedback. As usual there is no simple answer!

Is the 804RC2 head really NG? The bundled deal with the 055 XPROB looks pretty good? (The Manfrotto 055 XPROB is not quite the same as the 190, it goes higher)

Is the 460MG any better than the 804RC2?

Although I'm on a budget, I do want to buy something that will last - that I don't end up wishing I'd spent a little more...

The Gitzo looks great but can't quite justify the cost...

Don't think I need the features of the Benbo...

Your thoughts appreciated...

Sam
Old 30th March 2008
Jim

I really like the 460MG head as it gives you the movement of a standard 3-way head without the long handles.

I found that the 190 is perfect for my height 5' 10"

I felt the 055 would probably be better to those 6' plus in height.
Old 30th March 2008
sanke

Why not take a look at the Giottos MT 93 range.
They are very competively priced & extremely versatile.
I have the MT 9371 & wouldn't be without it.
Karl