Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 16th August 2019

Liked 349 Times in 144 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Kingfishers and insects

I bought the 300/4 from HDEW several years ago but have hardly used it since acquiring the 100-400. However, inspired by the postings from Tordan and others, I’ve splashed out and bought an EM1ii (eBay), an HLD9 grip (forum member), an MC20 (Ffordes) and an EE1 dot sight (Amazon). The credit card bill has yet to arrive!

I needed somewhere to give it all a decent trial so went to the Suffolk Wildlife Trust reserve at Lackford Lakes, which is noted amongst other things for its kingfishers. All photos are OOC JPG, resized for upload. Some might have been better with a little cropping but that wouldn’t show the true capability of the lens combination. I used auto ISO and WB, CAF and silent shutter low. Most of the shots are at f10 but a few at f11 and f13. The insects were hand held and for all the other shots I was resting my elbows in the hide.

Usually you’re lucky if you get this sort of picture of a kingfisher.

The hides at Lackford are well designed and well positioned. Some have perches in the water for the kingfishers, so you get something like this.

Sometimes you may catch them in flight but the shutter speed in this case was too low to freeze all the action.

It was good to see some lapwing/peewit/green plover. They were a long way off but the lens pulled them in quite well.

It did rather better with the swans but they were on a nearer island.

Some swans were going in for a bit of aggro.

The same lake had rafts for cormorants. But the shallow DOF made it difficult to get them all in focus.

On the way back to the centre I spotted this pheasant skulking by a fence. When I got closer he walked off and provided a much better shot.

Insect photography was quite difficult as there was over 25 knots of wind, but some parts of the reserve are well sheltered. The buddleia in particular was affected by the wind which was a shame as there were plenty of red admirals around.

This common darter (I think) was on the kingfisher perch.

The damselfly was on a blackberry bush.

Late in the afternoon I thought I’d give the EE1 a go. The manual that comes with it is pretty useless because it gives no guidance on how to calibrate the sight. As I didn’t have a tripod I had to do it in an ad hoc manner by lining up a target in the sight, seeing what I got in the shot, then making adjustments. Trial and error got me near the right aim point. The first pic is through the viewfinder

and the second with the sight

I need to put the outfit on a tripod and get the sight properly aligned. The FOV of the 300+MC20 is very narrow and I suspect the EE1 will be useful for some shots, especially for BIF. The hovering bird would no doubt have come out better with the sight as I had considerable difficulty in locking on through the viewfinder and nearly missed it altogether.

I had a lot of fun but have much to learn about using such a long lens.

EM1ii, EM10ii
The Following Users Liked This Post:
999RAR (16th August 2019), Barr1e (17th August 2019), IainMacD (18th August 2019), Jim Ford (16th August 2019), mik (16th August 2019), MJ224 (17th August 2019), Olybirder (17th August 2019), OM USer (17th August 2019), Otto (17th August 2019), pault (16th August 2019), Phill D (17th August 2019), wanderer (16th August 2019), wornish (16th August 2019)
Old 16th August 2019

Liked 1,423 Times in 366 Posts
Re: Kingfishers and insects

The second KF is very nice.

May I ask why you stopped down as much as F/10 or even F/13? Was that with the EC20?

Cheers
Tord

My Gallery on 500px
Old 17th August 2019

Thank you. All the shots were taken with the 300+MC20. My reason for stopping down was to improve the DOF. It wasn't too much of a problem at the distances involved in the bird photos but would have been very shallow at f8 for the insects. I would appreciate your thoughts as I may go back for another session on Monday.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 17th August 2019

Liked 1,423 Times in 366 Posts

Now I get it. Some feedback as you are asking...

Try to shoot from a position to get at the same level as the subject. You write you are in a hide, so this can be difficult if the windows are all designed for observation/photo while standing.

For the birds I would shoot at F/8 to isolate from background as much as possible (possibly F/9 as this will increase sharpness a bit however for web rendering the difference will not be noticeable.

For static objects you should be OK with shutter speed as low as 1/250s, maybe even slower thanks to the dual IBIS.

When subjects are not in same plane / same distance to camera then select the one of most interest (usually the subject that is closest) and make sure you get the eye in focus. The others may become OOF however that does not really matter, on the contrary it can improve the picture as perceived.

To get sharp BIF you would need 1/1000s ... 1/8000s depending of angle of flight and distance. But at F/8 or less it can be impossible to get these shutter speed unless cranking up the ISO beyond what gives acceptable results. Try without TC, the wider angle will also help in framing the subject.

The last KFs shot against the light (sky?) would have benefited from +1EV or something like that. As it is the shadows look a bit dark.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 17th August 2019

Thank you for those helpful comments.

The hides at Lackford Lakes are good. There is comfortable seating and a shelf on which to rest one's elbows. The forecast for Monday is good so I'll probably go back for another session to see if I can improve things.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 18th August 2019

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

I visited Lackford Lakes this afternoon, the hides are good, lots of big white lenses, but no Kingfishers, quite a few other birds, the close ones were swans. - oh the was an African Grey Parrot but she was in a cage being taken out for a breath of fresh air.

Thanks for the pointer to the reserve
Old 18th August 2019

That's a shame as there were several on Thursday and at one point two were in sight. The best hides seem to be the double decker and the short stay hide next to it on the Kingfisher walk. That was where I got mine. The forecast for tomorrow is a bit iffy but I'll probably go anyway as it's my only opportunity in the near future.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 18th August 2019

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

I visiting family in Suffolk for the weekend, I think that next we visit the area we will visit Lackford Lakes again - so thanks for the pointer.
Old 18th August 2019

I was able to spend six hours there and, to be fair, the kingfishers didn't appear until about 1530 by which time I'd been in that hide for three quarters of an hour - patience rewarded.

EM1ii, EM10ii