Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 27th February 2019

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts
Re: New camera - what do you do first?

I don't use film any more but I still have the film mentality in that I occasionally find myself thinking I'll run out of film! It must be an age thing...

One thing I do quite often is deliberately limit myself to 24 or 36 exposures when I'm on a photography trip, with no deletions allowed, to try and focus my mind into thinking about what I'm doing rather than snapping randomly at anything.

Doesn't always work but it's fun trying!

Janet

Old 27th February 2019

Liked 2,412 Times in 1,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I don't use film any more but I still have the film mentality in that I occasionally find myself thinking I'll run out of film! It must be an age thing...

One thing I do quite often is deliberately limit myself to 24 or 36 exposures when I'm on a photography trip, with no deletions allowed, to try and focus my mind into thinking about what I'm doing rather than snapping randomly at anything.

Janet
Try ten exposures!

I must admit there are many times that I have come home without making a single exposure, but I have enjoyed it all the same.

Not only is film expensive but it needs to be processed too, and if the exposure is any good it needs to be scanned, which all focuses the mind on photographs that might actually be keepers rather than random snapping as you describe.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 27th February 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
The new Kodakchrome film is pricey too, but Ektar is more reasonable.

Film seems to be gaining popularity right now; not just older photographers going back to it, but millennials who see it as trendy and 'cool'.

I love using film but I use it sparingly so I have plenty for a while yet. That said I think I might stock up before 1st April.
Rest assured I will **NOT** be purchasing a FujiFilm camera, now or at anytime in the future. Sod the B's.
As a user of both film and digital, I chose film based on the way it renders. In my mind there's no point shooting film to look as perfect as digital. One of the vastly unsung emulsions is Kodak ColorPlus, and the result looks great if push processed by one or two stops.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (27th February 2019)
Old 27th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post

Janet
Having used film for a few years now in my second youth (I grew up using film when film was the only game in town) I find that I can not shoot random compositions with a didital camera, even though I know I can delete them almost as quickly as I can take them.

on flickr
Naughty Nigel (27th February 2019)
Old 27th February 2019

I just enjoy the whole photograph taking process with medium format. I find a large waist level finder (with loupe magnifier) is so much better for composition. I could spend all day just gazing through the finder.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 27th February 2019

Quote:
I just enjoy the whole photograph taking process with medium format. I find a large waist level finder (with loupe magnifier) is so much better for composition. I could spend all day just gazing through the finder.
I've used a Hassleblad and loved the WLF, so fully understand what you say. It's almost like viewing the scene using a camera obscura, and with that the act of composition becomes so more considered.

on flickr
Old 27th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I've used a Hassleblad and loved the WLF, so fully understand what you say. It's almost like viewing the scene using a camera obscura, and with that the act of composition becomes so more considered.
I think my love of medium format and waist level finders all stem from my fasciation with my dad's Voigtländer over fifty years ago. At a time long before digital preview screens or CCTV the ability to peer into a WLF and see a perfect (but reversed) image of the view in front of me created a fascination that I have never lost. Then there was a little red window to look through to see the frame numbers on the film backing.

Modern digital cameras are fantastic machines, but they can never hold the same fascination for me as those simple black boxes with lenses, mirrors and a roll of film inside.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 27th February 2019

Quote:
I think my love of medium format and waist level finders all stem from my fasciation with my dad's Voigtländer over fifty years ago. At a time long before digital preview screens or CCTV the ability to peer into a WLF and see a perfect (but reversed) image of the view in front of me created a fascination that I have never lost. Then there was a little red window to look through to see the frame numbers on the film backing.

Modern digital cameras are fantastic machines, but they can never hold the same fascination for me as those simple black boxes with lenses, mirrors and a roll of film inside.
There's a lot to be said for optical viewfinders of any sort, but MF is of course a delight above all in the 35mm offering. In 35mm territory I use a couple of SLRs, two rangefinders and a simple scale focus Rollei 35. Love them all for different reasons, but I have to say I'm not a big fan of the EVF. With the EVF it's like viewing the world as presented by a television screen, with a somewhat 'false' appearance.

on flickr
Old 28th February 2019

Quote:
I have to say I'm not a big fan of the EVF. With the EVF it's like viewing the world as presented by a television screen, with a somewhat 'false' appearance.
I like the EVF for my day job because I can more-or-less see exactly what will be recorded onto the SD card, and more to the point, what I won't see recorded. However, the EVF has very limited dynamic range and is not at all subtle, so it has little value in artistic composition. I also dislike the 'lag' which gets in the way when photographing fast moving subjects like Damselflies!

I think there is a way of displaying the viewfinder image on an iPad, which has a much better display. I must ask our young Oracle!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 28th February 2019

Liked 1,691 Times in 1,089 Posts

I guess you blokes are the sort that consider the Morris 1000 Estate to be the pinnacle of automotive engineering!

Jim
Old 28th February 2019

Quote:
I like the EVF for my day job because I can more-or-less see exactly what will be recorded onto the SD card, and more to the point, what I won't see recorded. However, the EVF has very limited dynamic range and is not at all subtle, so it has little value in artistic composition. I also dislike the 'lag' which gets in the way when photographing fast moving subjects like Damselflies!

I think there is a way of displaying the viewfinder image on an iPad, which has a much better display. I must ask our young Oracle!
DSLRs do that as well, don't they? But unlike the mirrorless device you're actually seeing through the lens. Mirrorless reminds me of Camcorders and I always felt detached from the real world.

on flickr
Jax (28th February 2019)
Old 28th February 2019

Liked 3,330 Times in 1,795 Posts

When I started using my first digital camera I kept operating a phantom film advance lever.

If good processing labs reappear I might resume using my X-Pan, having the full kit.

Harold
Old 28th February 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,608 Times in 929 Posts
Smile Re: New camera - what do you do first?

Having tested hundreds of cameras over the years, the first thing I did (after battery charge) was to take a few pictures straight out the box, then do a factory reset and do a few more on full auto (if it had that feature).

After that, it would be a series of shots in manual mode from fully open/fast shutter to fully stopped down/slow shutter to assess the consistency of the exposure metering.

Lens testing was a whole different thing, with target cards and focus scales.

That was all years ago. Now I just, take them out the box, give them a little affectionate squeeze and start a whole new love affair...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jax (28th February 2019), Naughty Nigel (28th February 2019)
Old 28th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I guess you blokes are the sort that consider the Morris 1000 Estate to be the pinnacle of automotive engineering!

Jim
I thought they were?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 28th February 2019

Quote:
DSLRs do that as well, don't they? But unlike the mirrorless device you're actually seeing through the lens. Mirrorless reminds me of Camcorders and I always felt detached from the real world.
They do, but the EVF provides more clues as to what will be lost in shadows and highlights. By compressing the dynamic range the EVF also exaggerates the effects of shadows in a scene.

For me the most disconcerting feature of EVF's is the way that moving objects, people and so forth are suddenly 'frozen' in the viewfinder the moment the exposure is made.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing