Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

View Poll Results: Which Graduated ND filter do you find yourself using the most?
ND2 - Soft Edged 5 50.00%
ND2 - Hard Edged 0 0%
ND4 - Soft Edged 5 50.00%
ND4 - Hard Edged 2 20.00%
ND8 - Soft Edged 4 40.00%
ND8 - Hard Edged 0 0%
ND12 - Soft Edged 0 0%
ND12 - Hard Edged 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th March 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Graduated ND filter preferences

I'm looking at getting a couple of graduated ND filters to help tame high contrast scenes, which up until now I've done with HDR / exposure blending etc but I can't help thinking that doing it at the time of capture might lead to a better result or at least save a little time with PP and so have been doing a little reading.

I've pretty much made up my mind to go with Hitech filters as they seem to have received good reviews both on and off this forum. I've seen Kood graduated grey filters in action before and wasn't impressed with the colour cast, whilst everyone tends to agree that the cokin filters are bad for creating a colour cast too. Lee filters are way out of my budget and so that leaves me with the hi-tech ones. A fairly cheap cokin p holder with 67mm adapter ring with a few of the 85mm hi-tech filters will likely be all I ever need.

What I'm not totally sure of just yet though is which ND grads to go for, I came across this page: http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filt...-grad-kit.aspx which allows you to choose 3 filters from ND2 to ND12 in either soft or hard edge format. From what I have read so far it seems ND4 is probably the most commonly used / most useful one to have but do you find soft edge more useful than hard edge etc.

Anyway it struck me that a poll might be the easiest way to find out which filter combination you find yourself using the most and should therefore be the ones I should get....