Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th May 2016

Liked 2,407 Times in 1,586 Posts
Ladies and Gents no more. Has the world gone completely mad?

So, Condor Ferries has been found guilty of discrimination because they used the words 'Ladies' and 'Gents' on the heads in their vessels.

BBC News Report

Whilst I sympathise with the small number of people who suffer with 'gender disorientation issues' I fail to see why using the words Ladies and Gents in time honoured fashion is discriminatory.

Surely, the whole purpose of putting signs on the head doors is to avoid any embarrassment caused by people any gender inadvertently walking through the wrong door?

I must declare on interest here, as for reasons that I cannot explain I find the symbols on some lavatory doors confusing; especially in motorway service stations for some reason.

At one time they were pink and blue, but that was probably discriminatory so they are now the same gender-neutral grey, green or yellow shades. The sign makers also seem to have gone to great efforts to make the male and female signs look alike; hence my confusion.

Anyhow, isn't is discriminatory to portray men wearing trousers and women wearing skirts or dresses? What about Scotsmen wearing kilts and women wearing trousers? Shouldn't they have a symbol of their own?

So should I now claim discrimination for the embarrassment I suffer when I open a door to find a room full of concerned looking women and a vase of flowers beside the wash basins; or should I campaign for flowers in the male facilities?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Crazy Dave (26th May 2016)