Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28th June 2019
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 5,710
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Likes: 150
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts
So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

I've been busy with other stuff so aside from upgrading and firing off a few test shots, I've not had the chance to see if the AF (esp CAF) is improved with the latest firmware.


Anyone got any views?
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28th June 2019
Olybirder Olybirder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 6,905
Thanks: 2,458
Thanked 997 Times in 794 Posts
Likes: 2,045
Liked 3,140 Times in 890 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

I think it is.



Taken late this evening. I haven't checked all my other shots but it seems to acquire and hold focus better than before in C-AF mode. I think this is possibly the best Barn Owl shot I have achieved so far, so I am happy.

Ron
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bassman (30th June 2019), BDennis (30th June 2019), Bengeo (29th June 2019), drmarkf (30th June 2019), Graham from Wirral (29th June 2019), GyRob (29th June 2019), IainMacD (29th June 2019), JohnGG (29th June 2019), MJ224 (29th June 2019), OM USer (29th June 2019), Otto (30th June 2019), pault (30th June 2019), RobEW (29th June 2019), rsh1960 (30th June 2019), Shaw (29th June 2019), Steambuff (29th June 2019)
  #3  
Old 29th June 2019
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 13,845
Thanks: 947
Thanked 750 Times in 696 Posts
Likes: 6,967
Liked 3,833 Times in 1,771 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Super photo Ron. Focus certainly was grabbed and held...……..
__________________
Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29th June 2019
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 13,845
Thanks: 947
Thanked 750 Times in 696 Posts
Likes: 6,967
Liked 3,833 Times in 1,771 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?



Bumble Bee


by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

I have photo'd several near macro shots with the 300mm Pro and 1.4TC. I would say that focus has improved quite some, especially C-AF. Difficult to quantify without the older firmware to compare side by side....
__________________
Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30th June 2019
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,647
Thanks: 360
Thanked 508 Times in 422 Posts
Likes: 2,219
Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
I think it is.
...
Taken late this evening. I haven't checked all my other shots but it seems to acquire and hold focus better than before in C-AF mode. I think this is possibly the best Barn Owl shot I have achieved so far, so I am happy.

Ron
Cracking shot, Ron.

May I ask about your settings there - CAF alone, how many focus points, lock setting? Also, what drive FPS?

I had an hour shooting dragonflies amid water and reeds, and overhead buzzards on Friday, and I formed the impression that initial acquisition of focus and holding of focus was a notch better against clear sky (all points CAF, 15fps, -2). Bursts of images gave a high proportion in focus.

However, following the insects flying in front of reeds wasn't any different, although initial acquisition was maybe quicker (9 point, other settings unchanged). Unfortunately I didn’t have time to try the latter test with lock at zero or even +1, which might have been better.

Trouble is, this sort of test is highly variable and subjective, influenced by all sorts of one-off variables and settings (and by hope!). Over time we will build up more of an accurate idea, but of course our individual skills improve naturally over time as well.

I am going back to the buzzard/dragonfly site next week, so I shall try to continue the test.

BTW Paul (Walti) would you be free any days next week and interested to join me? The pools are near Barton.
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (30th June 2019), pault (30th June 2019)
  #6  
Old 30th June 2019
Olybirder Olybirder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 6,905
Thanks: 2,458
Thanked 997 Times in 794 Posts
Likes: 2,045
Liked 3,140 Times in 890 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
May I ask about your settings there - CAF alone, how many focus points, lock setting? Also, what drive FPS?
These are the settings which I used. They might not be the best choice but they are what I have arrived at presently.

C-AF (not tracking); Silent Shutter, Sequential Low 10fps; C-AF Centre Priority; C-AF Sensitivity +1; 25 focus points (I am very pleased they have included this now. Fewer points are probably better if you are skilful enough to keep them on the subject, which I am not!); S-IS Auto (I would turn it off but as it cannot be saved in Custom Settings I would probably forget to turn it on again for S-AF shots).

This shot was taken with Shutter Priority 1/2000 sec at F5.6. Auto ISO. Range selector switch on lens 4m-∞.

I would be interested to hear what settings other people are using. It would be good if we could have a dedicated thread for this (maybe a 'sticky') to compare settings which work for them.

Ron
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Olybirder For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (1st July 2019)
  #7  
Old 30th June 2019
BDennis BDennis is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bucks & Beds, UK
Posts: 142
Thanks: 31
Thanked 38 Times in 16 Posts
Likes: 88
Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
I would be interested to hear what settings other people are using. It would be good if we could have a dedicated thread for this (maybe a 'sticky') to compare settings which work for them.
Ron
Great Barn Owl shots Ron!

I think the C-AF is improved a lot especially with the C-AF Centre Priority and C-AF Centre start options. I've turn both of these on and now use either the new 5x5 focus points or all-points for bird flight shots. I'm finding it easier to get in focus shots of birds in flight with backgrounds like reedbeds and trees. I used to find the focus would nearly always hit something in the background using "all points" or a small 3x3 grid or 5 point cross but with v3.0 FW it seems to have more success locking on. The 5x5 option is really good for this too as it gives you Centre Priority and more focus points to aim at the bird.

One thing I have found is that with C-AF "all points" and the "centre start" thing set, you need to know where the centre focus point is. The view finder grid I had set in the EVF does not show this so I have set to the "cross hairs" grid (like a sniper rifle view seen in films..). The 5x5 grid on the other hand shows where the focus points are.

Another setting I use is the C-AF limiter. I have put this on my LN-FN switch (lens function) for the 300mm F4 and left the lens limiter hard switch on the infinity range. Then when sitting in a bird hide use PRE-MF to find the distance to the background you don't want to confuse focus and set up some ranges you can quickly switch between on LN-FN with a dial. I really wish they would display the focus distance as an EVF option or show it on the image playback (it is recorded in EXIF) making it easier to set this up!

I've spent a week in Suffolk around various reserves trying out the v3.0 FW. I had some limited success with Hobbies flying in front of the Bittern hide at Minsmere but still challenging with heat haze and not enough shutter speed.

I need to experiment more with the settings - there are so many! I'm conflicted between using A-mode and S-mode too for things like fast flying birds - mostly use aperture priority before and upped the ISO if I wanted a higher shutter speed.

Here is an example of one of the Hobby shots - a cropped image of a Hobby flying past at about 110m distance using 300mm F4 and MC-14 (a bit fuzzy due to heat haze and too slow shutter speed I think and also need to get closer):

Hobby - cropped by Bill Dennis, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BDennis For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (1st July 2019), MJ224 (30th June 2019), Olybirder (30th June 2019), pault (1st July 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
JohnGG (5th July 2019), Keith-369 (30th June 2019), Miketoll (30th June 2019), MJ224 (30th June 2019), pault (1st July 2019)
  #8  
Old 30th June 2019
GyRob GyRob is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: N.E.Lincs
Posts: 314
Thanks: 5
Thanked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Likes: 63
Liked 242 Times in 57 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
These are the settings which I used. They might not be the best choice but they are what I have arrived at presently.

C-AF (not tracking); Silent Shutter, Sequential Low 10fps; C-AF Centre Priority; C-AF Sensitivity +1; 25 focus points (I am very pleased they have included this now. Fewer points are probably better if you are skilful enough to keep them on the subject, which I am not!); S-IS Auto (I would turn it off but as it cannot be saved in Custom Settings I would probably forget to turn it on again for S-AF shots).

This shot was taken with Shutter Priority 1/2000 sec at F5.6. Auto ISO. Range selector switch on lens 4m-∞.

I would be interested to hear what settings other people are using. It would be good if we could have a dedicated thread for this (maybe a 'sticky') to compare settings which work for them.

Ron
Almost what I have but use +2 and set ISO -SS -Aperture manually .and electronic shutter most of the time
Rob.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GyRob For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (30th June 2019)
  #9  
Old 30th June 2019
Walti Walti is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 3,529
Thanks: 334
Thanked 234 Times in 200 Posts
Likes: 268
Liked 1,790 Times in 663 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Cracking shot, Ron.

May I ask about your settings there - CAF alone, how many focus points, lock setting? Also, what drive FPS?

I had an hour shooting dragonflies amid water and reeds, and overhead buzzards on Friday, and I formed the impression that initial acquisition of focus and holding of focus was a notch better against clear sky (all points CAF, 15fps, -2). Bursts of images gave a high proportion in focus.

However, following the insects flying in front of reeds wasn't any different, although initial acquisition was maybe quicker (9 point, other settings unchanged). Unfortunately I didn’t have time to try the latter test with lock at zero or even +1, which might have been better.

Trouble is, this sort of test is highly variable and subjective, influenced by all sorts of one-off variables and settings (and by hope!). Over time we will build up more of an accurate idea, but of course our individual skills improve naturally over time as well.

I am going back to the buzzard/dragonfly site next week, so I shall try to continue the test.

BTW Paul (Walti) would you be free any days next week and interested to join me? The pools are near Barton.
Would love to join you. I think you have my mobile number... ends 9732. Text/phone!
__________________

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 29th June 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 2,025
Thanks: 60
Thanked 70 Times in 69 Posts
Likes: 359
Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Great barn owl shot. I’m currently looking through a few thousand taken at Cley last week but nothing is jumping out as good as that one.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 29th June 2019
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 5,710
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Likes: 150
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

That Barn Owl is superb!
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29th June 2019
GyRob GyRob is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: N.E.Lincs
Posts: 314
Thanks: 5
Thanked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Likes: 63
Liked 242 Times in 57 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

I think it would be very hard to tell as the EM1X is just a little better around 25% in CAF so if the MKII has the same AF for most things both cameras will get the shot .


I only noticed on a burst of a BIF even then often it's how good your reaction time is on the day as to if one seems better but full marks to Olympus for the update I'm happy to take any improvement
Rob.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29th June 2019
Keith-369 Keith-369 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North West England
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 114
Thanked 223 Times in 202 Posts
Likes: 1,084
Liked 553 Times in 285 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

I went out, using V3 for the first time, the other day. I was using my 75-300ii and found that it hunted in certain circumstances and It never seemed to before the update. Wondering if a setting hasn't re-set properly.
Hope it's not a problem 'cause we're off on our jollies on Monday. I'll clean the contacts just in case.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 30th June 2019
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 14,245
Thanks: 2,090
Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Likes: 5,547
Liked 2,184 Times in 1,165 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
I went out, using V3 for the first time, the other day. I was using my 75-300ii and found that it hunted in certain circumstances and It never seemed to before the update. Wondering if a setting hasn't re-set properly.
Hope it's not a problem 'cause we're off on our jollies on Monday. I'll clean the contacts just in case.

Unfortunately, another person has a similar experience. He commented on FB.
Quote:
Rui M Leal One thing I find interesting with firm 3.0 is that now with my 12-40 and 7-14 f/2.8 the lens hunt more for focus (single small AF points) and I also get less sharp and in focus images, sometimes it even takes completely out of focus images. All this in low contrast and with some heavy back light situations and I never had this happening on older firmw.
It might be worth checking priority options in the Menu though.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Keith-369 (30th June 2019)
  #15  
Old 30th June 2019
Growltiger Growltiger is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 310
Thanks: 2
Thanked 94 Times in 68 Posts
Likes: 9
Liked 72 Times in 54 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Unfortunately, another person has a similar experience. He commented on FB.


It might be worth checking priority options in the Menu though.
But neither post says whether settings were the same. For example was this using S-AF before and C-AF now? In both cases was this with small single focus point or something else? Without a lot more detailed info it doesn't really tell us much.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firmware sapper Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II 9 5th April 2018 02:45 PM
New Firmware The Technician Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II 5 28th February 2018 12:19 PM
Pen-F - Firmware 3.0 pdk42 Olympus Pen-F 1 20th February 2018 05:21 PM
New Firmware 2.0 The Technician Olympus OM-D E-M5 35 15th April 2014 09:13 PM
mZD 14-150 firmware StephenL Standard zoom and mid range 2 28th July 2011 11:04 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:41 AM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger