Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 8th February 2019
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,190
Thanks: 1,991
Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Likes: 3,448
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts
Political Posts

Recently we seem to be discussing politics, particularly Brexit, more than photography on this forum and whilst right now it is a fascinating subject I do feel we are in danger of getting things out of balance.

With this in mind, could we please refrain from starting any more political threads and post instead in the bumper thread that we already have http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47199

Thank you.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bengeo (8th February 2019), Graham_of_Rainham (8th February 2019), Grumpy Hec (8th February 2019), jdal (14th February 2019), Jim Ford (8th February 2019), Otto (8th February 2019), peak4 (8th February 2019), wornish (8th February 2019)
  #2  
Old 8th February 2019
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,921
Thanks: 58
Thanked 833 Times in 761 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,792 Posts
Re: Political Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Recently we seem to be discussing politics, particularly Brexit, more than photography on this forum and whilst right now it is a fascinating subject I do feel we are in danger of getting things out of balance.

With this in mind, could we please refrain from starting any more political threads and post instead in the bumper thread that we already have http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47199

Thank you.
While you're quite right about too much politics, we still have "take a break from photo and camera talk" at the top of the page.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (8th February 2019)
  #3  
Old 8th February 2019
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,190
Thanks: 1,991
Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Likes: 3,448
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts
Re: Political Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
While you're quite right about too much politics, we still have "take a break from photo and camera talk" at the top of the page.

Harold
Well, talk about the weather, football or single malt whisky in the Lounge - anything but politics, except in the politics thread!
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
  #4  
Old 8th February 2019
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,921
Thanks: 58
Thanked 833 Times in 761 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,792 Posts
Re: Political Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Well, talk about the weather, football or single malt whisky in the Lounge - anything but politics, except in the politics thread!
I know that but certain members complain bitterly, from time to time, about non-photographic subjects in the Lounge.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
  #5  
Old 8th February 2019
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 5,710
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Likes: 150
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Political Posts

Well said John. Totally in agreement!
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Portfolio Site
Instagram
  #6  
Old 8th February 2019
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 9,891
Thanks: 404
Thanked 570 Times in 483 Posts
Likes: 3,417
Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts
Re: Political Posts

I'm afraid I have decided to take a break from this forum altogether.

I am more than happy to discuss politics, religion and all the other taboos, but I am so sick and tired of the negativity recently that I would really rather be out of it altogether.

I have tried to lighten the mood and to provide some positivity, but every single post is met with deep negativity, sardonicism and vitriol by individuals who refuse to acknowledge the weaknesses of their own leaders.

I didn't particularly want Brexit, but my biggest fear right now is the bunch of anarchists around here who are not only hell bent on making it a self fulfilling prophesy but are already promising retribution threads.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
  #7  
Old 8th February 2019
wornish's Avatar
wornish wornish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 6,057
Thanks: 341
Thanked 550 Times in 430 Posts
Likes: 2,860
Liked 1,603 Times in 790 Posts
Re: Political Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I'm afraid I have decided to take a break from this forum altogether.

I am more than happy to discuss politics, religion and all the other taboos, but I am so sick and tired of the negativity recently that I would really rather be out of it altogether.

I have tried to lighten the mood and to provide some positivity, but every single post is met with deep negativity, sardonicism and vitriol by individuals who refuse to acknowledge the weaknesses of their own leaders.

I didn't particularly want Brexit, but my biggest fear right now is the bunch of anarchists around here who are not only hell bent on making it a self fulfilling prophesy but are already promising retribution threads.
I for one will miss your posts and your efforts to lighten the mood.

It does get way to heavy on here at times, I guess I don't help by fighting my corner?

What happens in 20 years time will be down to others but right now the bottom line for me is I support the result of the biggest democratic exercise the UK has ever experienced.
__________________
Dave

My Flickr
  #8  
Old 8th February 2019
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,190
Thanks: 1,991
Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Likes: 3,448
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts
Re: Political Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I'm afraid I have decided to take a break from this forum altogether.

I am more than happy to discuss politics, religion and all the other taboos, but I am so sick and tired of the negativity recently that I would really rather be out of it altogether.

I have tried to lighten the mood and to provide some positivity, but every single post is met with deep negativity, sardonicism and vitriol by individuals who refuse to acknowledge the weaknesses of their own leaders.

I didn't particularly want Brexit, but my biggest fear right now is the bunch of anarchists around here who are not only hell bent on making it a self fulfilling prophesy but are already promising retribution threads.
That would be a real shame, Nigel. I really enjoyed participating in your excellent recent thread on medium format film and I would welcome more like that. I'm hoping that by containing the politics within one thread it will be easy to avoid. Did you see the recent TV documentary on Don McCullin, where he was walking around with a Mamiya RZ67 tucked under his arm for street shots!
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (11th February 2019)
  #9  
Old 8th February 2019
Darkroom Darkroom is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 593
Thanks: 59
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Likes: 305
Liked 163 Times in 106 Posts
Re: Political Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I'm afraid I have decided to take a break from this forum altogether.

I am more than happy to discuss politics, religion and all the other taboos, but I am so sick and tired of the negativity recently that I would really rather be out of it altogether.

I have tried to lighten the mood and to provide some positivity, but every single post is met with deep negativity, sardonicism and vitriol by individuals who refuse to acknowledge the weaknesses of their own leaders.

I didn't particularly want Brexit, but my biggest fear right now is the bunch of anarchists around here who are not only hell bent on making it a self fulfilling prophesy but are already promising retribution threads.

I couldn't agree more Nigel. The problem with the politics thread is it is the same nasty, bitter, vitriolic individuals continually keeping it alive because they probably have nothing better to do in their lives.

Many members have previously stated there is no place in a photo forum for political discussion and the thread in question proves the case. Politics and religion should never be discussed in fora designed for specialist subjects such as photography as no matter how well moderated, they always result in bad feeling and trouble, usually caused by a minority of contributers.

The moderators themselves contribute to the political discussion and express political bias within this forum.

The lounge is a very useful board to discuss any other subjects and probably the most widely read and used but some subjects such as anything political or religious should, IMHO be banned.

As stated by others, if you do indeed leave this forum Nigel you will be missed as you are one of the few highly intelligent and knowledgeable contributors able to discuss a wide range of subjects without bias. That even includes your rather questionable choice of trouser colours I spotted when reading old posts.


Darkroom
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (11th February 2019), wornish (8th February 2019)
  #10  
Old 8th February 2019
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,921
Thanks: 58
Thanked 833 Times in 761 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,792 Posts
Re: Political Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom View Post
I couldn't agree more Nigel. The problem with the politics thread is it is the same nasty, bitter, vitriolic individuals continually keeping it alive because they probably have nothing better to do in their lives.

Many members have previously stated there is no place in a photo forum for political discussion and the thread in question proves the case. Politics and religion should never be discussed in fora designed for specialist subjects such as photography as no matter how well moderated, they always result in bad feeling and trouble, usually caused by a minority of contributers.

The moderators themselves contribute to the political discussion and express political bias within this forum.

The lounge is a very useful board to discuss any other subjects and probably the most widely read and used but some subjects such as anything political or religious should, IMHO be banned.

As stated by others, if you do indeed leave this forum Nigel you will be missed as you are one of the few highly intelligent and knowledgeable contributors able to discuss a wide range of subjects without bias. That even includes your rather questionable choice of trouser colours I spotted when reading old posts.


Darkroom
That the lack of such discussion prevents bad feeling is a fantasy, as I have discovered elsewhere. Sticking purely top photography was no protection, It is not the subject matter but certain opinionated people who cause upset.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
  #11  
Old 8th February 2019
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 13,845
Thanks: 947
Thanked 750 Times in 696 Posts
Likes: 6,967
Liked 3,833 Times in 1,771 Posts
Re: Political Posts

We are all entitled to opinions, and discussion is valuable. But it needs to kept in a good mannered form. I quite enjoyed most of the posts, though not brainy enough to join in...……...
__________________
Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Darkroom (8th February 2019), wornish (8th February 2019)
  #12  
Old 8th February 2019
Darkroom Darkroom is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 593
Thanks: 59
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Likes: 305
Liked 163 Times in 106 Posts
Re: Political Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
We are all entitled to opinions, and discussion is valuable. But it needs to kept in a good mannered form. I quite enjoyed most of the posts, though not brainy enough to join in......
Or possibly intelligent enough to make the decision not to join in


Darkroom
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (8th February 2019), wornish (8th February 2019)
  #13  
Old 8th February 2019
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,921
Thanks: 58
Thanked 833 Times in 761 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,792 Posts
Re: Political Posts

My experience of the Brixit discussion is that I get to know the opinions of (OK, a limited selection) of people, other than politicians and journalists, of which I would otherwise be unaware.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (8th February 2019)
  #14  
Old 8th February 2019
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 13,845
Thanks: 947
Thanked 750 Times in 696 Posts
Likes: 6,967
Liked 3,833 Times in 1,771 Posts
Re: Political Posts

Its always interesting and enlightening to discover other points of view. But they have to be made in a good mannered way, and respect others thoughts/ views. Getting overheated is a human condition, but most of here are of an age when we should be aware that "we are all friends" and thus take others views with respect and perhaps (hopefully) with appropriate humour.

Whilst we are primarily interested in photography, Oly in particular, I see no reason why we cannot express "political" views, with manners and moderation.
__________________
Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Otto (9th February 2019), wornish (8th February 2019)
  #15  
Old 8th February 2019
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 5,710
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Likes: 150
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Political Posts

I decided to get out of the Brexit thread a few weeks back and glad I did. Personally, I think we should have a "no politics" policy on the forum. Threads like the Brexit thread only cause division, bad perceptions of fellow forum members and in the end are futile. If people really want to do politics, join a political forum, or better still a political party.

Let's stick to photography with an Oly flavour - there's a lot to be covered there, and lots of positive stuff too.
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bengeo (8th February 2019), drmarkf (8th February 2019), Graham_of_Rainham (8th February 2019), Grumpy Hec (8th February 2019), Zuiko (8th February 2019)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Almost up to 400,000 posts! Ian Announcements 12 28th December 2016 01:40 PM
SOLVED New Posts Barkly The lounge 4 9th December 2012 08:29 AM
Two posts ringneck Foto Fair 12 15th October 2012 09:44 PM
Too many New Posts ... Ulfric M Douglas Small ads seller and buyer feedback 11 14th July 2011 10:22 AM
Too Many posts ? shenstone The lounge 9 23rd November 2010 07:32 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:32 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger