Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 18th April 2008
Jim

50-200mm NON SWD V's SWD Versions

With many upgrading their non SWD versions to the new SWD one. I was wondering if there now was some feedback on the real word differences between the two versions.

I am still trying to work out if the newer SWD warrants the extra money?
Old 18th April 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,278 Posts
Liked 1,754 Times in 791 Posts
Re: 50-200mm NON SWD V's SWD Versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
With many upgrading their non SWD versions to the new SWD one. I was wondering if there now was some feedback on the real word differences between the two versions.

I am still trying to work out if the newer SWD warrants the extra money?
I have both here so I can produce some sample images for you to compare. Watch this space.

Physically, the SWD version is actually slightly lighter (not noticeable in reality) but noticeably wider in girth, probably to accommodate its new SWD ring motor. They have the same zoom extension and are about the same length when zoomed back to 50mm. They have the same 67mm filter thread, but the SWD version has a larger hood that incorporates a sliding hatch for access to a filter which may be fitted, like a polariser, so you can rotate it.

One fault that users of the original version sometimes notices was some flexing in the tripod mount collar. This looks like it has been addressed with a beefier looking collar.

Optically they look the same on paper, with 16 elements in 15 groups and the same closest focus, but on physical inspection of the lenses the optics look slightly different. The SWD version appears to have a slightly wider front element and the internals appear slightly different.

SWD focus does make a difference - it's very very fast and quiet, though the old version is also quiet.

As I said, I'll post some samples later.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 21st April 2008
Jim

Re the tripod collar on the older 50-200mm, can the E-3 mount this lens safely using the E-3 body on the tripod rather than risking movement on the tripod collar?

I also would like to what degree this lens is hand holdable. I was looking at it for some candid wedding shots, in particular during the ceremony from the back of the church.

View and comments gratefully received
Old 21st April 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Re the tripod collar on the older 50-200mm, can the E-3 mount this lens safely using the E-3 body on the tripod rather than risking movement on the tripod collar?

I also would like to what degree this lens is hand holdable. I was looking at it for some candid wedding shots, in particular during the ceremony from the back of the church.

View and comments gratefully received
Jim

I use the old 50-200 hand held all the time with the tripod collar removed on the E3.I always try to use the rule of shutter speed should be twice the focal length.If I cannot achieve this then its IS.
Much of the time I will have the EC14 on also.
As for not using the collar on a tripod,I would not think its a good idea as the lens is quite heavy.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Last edited by andym; 21st April 2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 21st April 2008
Jim

Anyone know if there is any way of strengthening the mount or upgrading it? Would perhaps another makers tripod collar fit??
Old 21st April 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Anyone know if there is any way of strengthening the mount or upgrading it? Would perhaps another makers tripod collar fit??
Doubtful. Anyway, it's not terrible - I only noticed it when someone else pointed it out.

Ian

Old 21st April 2008
Jim

Well in that case, I may not notice it, and if I do, well then I will have no choice but to upgrade it for the new SWD version
Old 21st April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
One fault that users of the original version sometimes notices was some flexing in the tripod mount collar. This looks like it has been addressed with a beefier looking collar.

Ian
I have the older version of the 50-200mm Lens and have used it with the E-1, the E-510 and the E-3. I have used it on and off a tripod and with both the battery holders of the E-1 and the E-3 fitted. When mounting on a tripod with the E-1 and the E-3 when both are fitted with their respective battery holders their is an imbalance (ie the "bending moment") is greater on the side of the camera when the lens is set at 50mm focal length. But when the lens is set at 200 mm the camera and lens are reasonably well balanced and so their is no excessive stress on the tripod mount collar.

However, I have used the lens on a tripod at varying lens focal lengths and have not noticed any flexing of the tripod collar. In my opinion it is a very robust piece of equipment - well able to cope with the various changes in the bending moments as the focal lengths are changed.

I have to admit that I have yet to use the lens without the collar attached even when I use it hand held with the EC-14 attached. I find the tripod mount is a useful grip to hold when using AF and, also, even when focussing manually.

I shall look forward to the comparison shots taken by these two lenses. Personally I am very satisfied with the performance of my 50-200mm lens and, I suspect, that even if the SWD version is clearly superior, I will almost certainly stick with my existing 50-200mm lens and will prefer to invest in one of the prime lenses if, eventually, I have that sort of money to spare.

Ray.
Old 21st April 2008
Jim

Thanks for your views Ray, much appreciated
Old 21st April 2008

Liked 1,322 Times in 795 Posts

I was never that impressed with the optical performance of my sample of the original 50-200. I sold it last autumn and shot with the kit 40-150 until the SWD version became available.

My sample of the SWD is so much better that now it's a lens I trust to perform rather than one I avoid shooting with.
Old 22nd April 2008
Jim

David, Interesting comment. I really was looking at the 50-200 over the 50-150 and 70-300 due to the weather sealing.

I hope that if I do managed to find a 50-200 non SWD at the right price then it will be a good copy, otherwise I will have to wait until I can afford the SWD version.
Old 22nd April 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

There are an awful lot of happy 50-200 users out there. In fact the worry was that the swd version would fail to meet the quality of the original lens.

The only repeated problem I can recall hearing was with the weather seals becoming displaced and jamming (or at least giving problems to) the operation of the lens. And that seems to be a very few early examples.

Of course the bokeh can be 'interestingly' jagged if there is bright light behind the subject.

An awful lot of us wont be upgrading because we are happy with the lens.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 22nd April 2008

Liked 1,322 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
David, Interesting comment. I really was looking at the 50-200 over the 50-150 and 70-300 due to the weather sealing.

I hope that if I do managed to find a 50-200 non SWD at the right price then it will be a good copy, otherwise I will have to wait until I can afford the SWD version.
The difference between my two samples of the 50-200 makes me wonder if I shouldn't have sent the original version to Olympus to check it for alignment.
Old 22nd April 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The difference between my two samples of the 50-200 makes me wonder if I shouldn't have sent the original version to Olympus to check it for alignment.
Some samples comparing the old and new versions of this lens will be published for download on FTU later today. I'll post a notice here once they are up. My feeling is that the difference is small but the new lens has the edge.

Interestingly, the maximum apertures at the various different focal lengths are not identical. The old lens is sometimes a smidgen faster.

Ian

Old 22nd April 2008
Jim

Thanks Ian