Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 9th January 2009
brob108
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Is this a problem on my E3?

My E3 has got some problems and one is something I've not seen reported before -

There's a mark on the sensor (I had it checked at Calumet and they couldn't get rid of it and they think some sand/grit has entered the camera at some point and it's a permanent mark). I'm going through a claim with my insurance company (as accidental damage) but I'm not sure if they're going to allow me or not at the moment.

This week the following has occured - when I switch off instead of getting the standard IS short judder I often get a small judder, then an electronic whirring sound (similar to the sound of a fax machine) and then another judder as the IS system resets. This doesn't happen every single time I switch off but has started doing this on a regular basis.

I rang up the Tech Support help line at Olympus yesterday and felt rather re-buffed by the experience. I described the IS switch off symptoms and felt I was treated with a level of disdain and not particularly sympathetically. I was told it was a matter of perception as to whether I had a problem with the shutdown of the camera.

Is this whirring sound common? I've tried pressing the IS button when using Live View and hear it then and also when I've tried taking pictures I hear a whirring then (presumably when the IS is operating) and I've not been aware of this sound before.

This could be because I've not been looking out for it of course but has anyone heard of this noise with the E3?

I've checked various forums and not noticed anyone else reporting this (apart from the confusion of what the power off judder is but I'm concerned about the whirring noise).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 9th January 2009
andym's Avatar
andym andym is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Epping Forest
Posts: 4,355
Thanks: 37
Thanked 346 Times in 258 Posts
Likes: 39
Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

Hmm

Does not sound right.When I turn off my E3 all I get is the rattle on the IS as it recalibrates.
As you have pointed out if you listern carefully you can hear a faint sound of the IS operating in normal use.

Any idea if it is affecting the operation of your IS?I know thats probably easier said than done.

Hope you get this sorted.

Could be one for Ian to take up with Oly.
__________________
All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.


My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 9th January 2009
brob108
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

Unfortunately, the whirring sound is very evident - it is quite loud. There's definitely been a change with the stabilisation system this week in both powering off and also in operation.

I've tried resetting the camera (both hard reset from the E3 and removing the batteries for a period) but this hasn't cured it either.

I've got a fair few jobs on at the moment with the camera and was hoping to avoid having to send it away but obviously I'll have to and look to do a hire.

It was more the attitude of the Olympus Tech Support that upset me (a regular theme it seems). I've spent a lot of money on this system and was hoping for a more sympathetic and helpful response than what I got yesterday.

I must admit I'm very tempted by a Nikon D700 (I shoot a lot of low light events and as we all know the latest Nikons have excellent high ISO abilities) and responses like the above make me wonder whether this might be the time to move on.

I know every company can appear to have a poor response to their customers but it has given me pause for thought. I've really enjoyed and appreciated the E3 (especially with the lenses) but I did feel like I was being treated dismissively by the Support staff.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 9th January 2009
dj69's Avatar
dj69 dj69 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Belfast
Posts: 123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

Thats disappointing Brian, both the problems with the E3 and the off hand way you have been dealt with. I must say I get unnerved with the sound of the IS recallibrating during shutdown but yours sounds like something else. It would be a shame to see you leave Olympus, I think your photos are class! Hope you get things sorted and decide to stick around.

David
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 9th January 2009
Henk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

That really sucks Brian, looks like you have to send it in, I wish you luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
When I turn off my E3 all I get is the rattle on the IS as it recalibrates.
I know it's nitpicking Andy but it does not calibrate but it resets. I asked Olympus about it some time ago as I was curious why you do not hear the rattle when you switch the IS off before you power down the camera. This is what the spokesman wrote:

Quote:
You are correct, the camera only resets the IS assembly when completely powering off the camera, it is not necessary to rest it when IS is turned off but the camera is still on.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14th January 2009
Joop Joop is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Holland
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

Sorry to say, but I really don't understand users here. Every E-3 does have guarantee and as we life in Europe this means two years. So why not send it in with the complaint? At the phone they can't judge the symptoms and of course they are not friendly anymore after x calls with questions which can't be answered for sure.

Yes, the E-3 will make some noise when it is switched off and IS is still active. The problem here is if this is the regular noise or is the noise different, stronger. louder etc. The only way to be sure is to send in the camera with a clear complaint.

Its okay to switch to Nikon, but first count your blessings before you do. Its always a trade off in pro's and con's. The question which will remain is if you have trouble with what's left and if its going to irritate. Next, keep those Nikons very dry. Also there are some fine "whitepapers" about the advantages with high-iso which seems to be no advantage at all. If this is also for you I can't tell. Unfortunately I read those things and don't bookmark them, so I can't tell you where to go, but dp and some other fora with specific Olympus stuff do have some threads about it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14th January 2009
PeterD PeterD is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,248
Thanks: 44
Thanked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Likes: 14
Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob108 View Post
My E3 has got some problems and one is something I've not seen reported before -

There's a mark on the sensor (I had it checked at Calumet and they couldn't get rid of it and they think some sand/grit has entered the camera at some point and it's a permanent mark). I'm going through a claim with my insurance company (as accidental damage) but I'm not sure if they're going to allow me or not at the moment.

This week the following has occured - when I switch off instead of getting the standard IS short judder I often get a small judder, then an electronic whirring sound (similar to the sound of a fax machine) and then another judder as the IS system resets. This doesn't happen every single time I switch off but has started doing this on a regular basis.

I rang up the Tech Support help line at Olympus yesterday and felt rather re-buffed by the experience. I described the IS switch off symptoms and felt I was treated with a level of disdain and not particularly sympathetically. I was told it was a matter of perception as to whether I had a problem with the shutdown of the camera.

Is this whirring sound common? I've tried pressing the IS button when using Live View and hear it then and also when I've tried taking pictures I hear a whirring then (presumably when the IS is operating) and I've not been aware of this sound before.

This could be because I've not been looking out for it of course but has anyone heard of this noise with the E3?

I've checked various forums and not noticed anyone else reporting this (apart from the confusion of what the power off judder is but I'm concerned about the whirring noise).
Sorry to hear of your problems with the E3. I have had my fair share too but I am surprised when you say your treatment by Olympus support was off-hand. I have had the opposite experience when dealing with them (about 5 times). I do not know where you are at the moment with the problem but I would recommend you speak with Olympus Customer Support at Watford. I have on each occasion following my contact with technical support and again found them to be very helpful. I would not despair over this but try and see what Watford suggest as a remedy. Check my previous posts on E3/ Lens problems and you will see why I suggest you do this.

Whatever you decide, I hope your problems are sorted out quickly and also tell them about the debris in the camera. It is meant to be sealed as weatherproof.

Good luck

Peter
__________________
Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14th January 2009
brob108
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop View Post
Sorry to say, but I really don't understand users here. Every E-3 does have guarantee and as we life in Europe this means two years. So why not send it in with the complaint? At the phone they can't judge the symptoms and of course they are not friendly anymore after x calls with questions which can't be answered for sure.
My original post was asking if anyone else had the whirring sound as I'd never noticed it before until last week and I couldn't find anyone else referring to it on forums (apart from some confusion about what the judder from the camera was when they powered off).

I have the two year warranty so it's going back to Olympus shortly to be looked at. Olympus are the only people who will be able to repair the camera and hopefully they're sorting things out for me in the interim.

What I was upset about at the time was being dealt with, in what I felt, was an off hand manner. I've since spoken to someone else at Olympus and they have been excellent; they couldn't have been more helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop View Post
Yes, the E-3 will make some noise when it is switched off and IS is still active. The problem here is if this is the regular noise or is the noise different, stronger. louder etc. The only way to be sure is to send in the camera with a clear complaint.
The noise is certainly very different since last week and it is also an intermittent problem when I power off. Sometimes it's the usual one second judder, other times I get a judder, couple of seconds of a whirring sound and then another judder.

I also hear the same electronic whirring sound when IS becomes active when I take a shot. Again, this is a completely different experience from the previous 12 months of use that I've had from this camera and not something I've heard before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop View Post
Its okay to switch to Nikon, but first count your blessings before you do. Its always a trade off in pro's and con's. The question which will remain is if you have trouble with what's left and if its going to irritate. Next, keep those Nikons very dry. Also there are some fine "whitepapers" about the advantages with high-iso which seems to be no advantage at all. If this is also for you I can't tell. Unfortunately I read those things and don't bookmark them, so I can't tell you where to go, but dp and some other fora with specific Olympus stuff do have some threads about it.
The reason for thinking about the Nikon D700 is due to my photography changing over the last year. When I bought the E3 I was mainly doing landscape images and the weather sealing, in particular for the price, made this a very attractive camera. At the time I bought the E3 I had a good scan round different manufacturers and the E3 offered, for me, the best option for what I was doing.

For the last few months, and thanks to the quality of the camera and lenses, I've been getting a lot of work but now in event and low light photography and this is where the D700 has become attractive because of the high ISO abilities it has. I have a couple of friends who own the D700 so I know what it can do and what it's not so good at.

I've done a lot of thinking about things over the last few days and will be staying with the E3 (the 50 - 200mm SWD lens is superb for the price, in my opinion) but looking at some point to get a camera, such as the D700 with a 24 - 70mm lens, which suits the low light side of things a bit better.

I know this will be dearer and means two systems but it is unlikely that one camera system will ever do everything brilliantly across the board. The most important thing is capturing things well anyway and the vast majority cameras, dear or cheap, will do that today. What the E3 does well for me is very pleasing and has led to lots of work with it so I've got no reason to get rid of my Olympus equipment.

Hopefully things will be sorted out soon with my E3 and I can get back to taking pictures with it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14th January 2009
PeterD PeterD is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,248
Thanks: 44
Thanked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Likes: 14
Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob108 View Post
My original post was asking if anyone else had the whirring sound as I'd never noticed it before until last week and I couldn't find anyone else referring to it on forums (apart from some confusion about what the judder from the camera was when they powered off).

I have the two year warranty so it's going back to Olympus shortly to be looked at. Olympus are the only people who will be able to repair the camera and hopefully they're sorting things out for me in the interim.

What I was upset about at the time was being dealt with, in what I felt, was an off hand manner. I've since spoken to someone else at Olympus and they have been excellent; they couldn't have been more helpful.



The noise is certainly very different since last week and it is also an intermittent problem when I power off. Sometimes it's the usual one second judder, other times I get a judder, couple of seconds of a whirring sound and then another judder.

I also hear the same electronic whirring sound when IS becomes active when I take a shot. Again, this is a completely different experience from the previous 12 months of use that I've had from this camera and not something I've heard before.



The reason for thinking about the Nikon D700 is due to my photography changing over the last year. When I bought the E3 I was mainly doing landscape images and the weather sealing, in particular for the price, made this a very attractive camera. At the time I bought the E3 I had a good scan round different manufacturers and the E3 offered, for me, the best option for what I was doing.

For the last few months, and thanks to the quality of the camera and lenses, I've been getting a lot of work but now in event and low light photography and this is where the D700 has become attractive because of the high ISO abilities it has. I have a couple of friends who own the D700 so I know what it can do and what it's not so good at.

I've done a lot of thinking about things over the last few days and will be staying with the E3 (the 50 - 200mm SWD lens is superb for the price, in my opinion) but looking at some point to get a camera, such as the D700 with a 24 - 70mm lens, which suits the low light side of things a bit better.

I know this will be dearer and means two systems but it is unlikely that one camera system will ever do everything brilliantly across the board. The most important thing is capturing things well anyway and the vast majority cameras, dear or cheap, will do that today. What the E3 does well for me is very pleasing and has led to lots of work with it so I've got no reason to get rid of my Olympus equipment.

Hopefully things will be sorted out soon with my E3 and I can get back to taking pictures with it.
Glad you have made some progress with Oly. I thought you would as I said in my last post.

The D700 is a very good choice and I am thinking along the same lines and for the same reasons so you are not alone. I too shall keep the E3 as I like the camera and is a good solution under the right conditions.

Peter
__________________
Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14th January 2009
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,190
Thanks: 1,991
Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Likes: 3,448
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

If you can afford it there is no reason not to own both an Olympus E3 and a Nikon D700. Surely this is the modern day equivalent of owning a 35mm film SLR and a Medium Format camera? For many years I ran an Olympus OM4Ti alongside my Bronica ETRSi.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14th January 2009
brob108
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
If you can afford it there is no reason not to own both an Olympus E3 and a Nikon D700. Surely this is the modern day equivalent of owning a 35mm film SLR and a Medium Format camera? For many years I ran an Olympus OM4Ti alongside my Bronica ETRSi.
I quite agree John. Both cameras offer distinctly different abilities and are an excellent combination that should cover most areas of photography. I've really come to appreciate the 50 - 200mm lens, for the price it's so sharp and an absolute pleasure to use. Nikon don't seem to do a similar lens and this is where the two systems can compliment each other.

On a separate note BBC 4 are showing an excellent programme on fashion photography and Rankin is recreating seven classic images. Well worth catch up with on iPlayer for those who miss it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29th January 2009
brob108
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

Just a small update on where things are up to with my camera (and a public thank you to those involved).

Following a bit of an initial hiccup with Technical Support the dealings I've had with Olympus since have been second to none.

Two weeks ago I got an E3 and grip on loan (I've sent the grip in to be looked at as I've had some power issues with it, similar to those described by others). This has kept me up and running and allowed me to carry on taking pictures. With several jobs coming up this has been really valued by me.

I sent my camera off at the beginning of last week and, after a rather traumatic week where the carrier 'lost' my parcel, the items arrived on Wednesday. I had a phone call from Olympus that day with plenty of information and went through the issues. The camera needs a new lens coupling and the grip has a power issue.

Today I got letters from Olympus with a service acknowledgement and tracking numbers so I can see where things are up to.

This is the best service I've ever had from a company and I'd like to say a big thanks to all involved with their advice and help. It's been very, very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29th January 2009
PeterD PeterD is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,248
Thanks: 44
Thanked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Likes: 14
Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

Well done Brian and Oly too. It is in cases such as this a company proves it is customer focussed.

Peter
__________________
Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29th January 2009
Graham_of_Rainham's Avatar
Graham_of_Rainham Graham_of_Rainham is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rainham
Posts: 8,190
Thanks: 647
Thanked 945 Times in 733 Posts
Likes: 2,298
Liked 1,605 Times in 927 Posts
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

I'd like to think that somehow the good comments, such as this, get back to Olympus. We had lots of Olympus equipment (KeyMed) at work and always got very good service support from them. But when talking to thier reps, they hardly ever received thanks or praise... I guess that just the way of the world, sad though it is...
__________________
Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30th January 2009
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,190
Thanks: 1,991
Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Likes: 3,448
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts
Re: Is this a problem on my E3?

Good to hear things are going well and the problems with your E3 are being addressed. The advice I would give any company is, "If you can't send a customer away happy, make sure they go away delighted instead." Hopefully, Olympus will live up to this ideal with your camera. Let us know when it is finally resolved.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
70 -300 Lens Problem Barr1e Telephoto 6 1st January 2009 01:02 PM
50-200SWD Problem knikki Lens focus 7 15th October 2008 03:15 PM
Imager AF problem ScubaRoy Olympus E-520 6 20th June 2008 10:56 PM
Do I have an LCD problem, or am I just being stupid? Dick Bowman Olympus E-3 8 5th December 2007 05:33 PM
70-300 problem? Yorkie Telephoto 7 2nd December 2007 10:23 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger