Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 17th May 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
My other hobby... hence my username everywhere

Hey All

I posted here a little while ago that I had been asked to pick up the baton again and conduct a band in one of the valleys - Treherbert Band - in a few competitions. Well.. we had our second competition a week or so ago, and Heather was there with Shannon her best friend, giving me and the band lots of encouragement and when we had finished, their very loud support too!!

She took a few shots of us performing as she watched from the audience.

I am also delighted to report that we won! It's good to be back!

For those who don't know me... see if you can identify which one I am...

Old 17th May 2012

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Re: My other hobby... hence my username everywhere

Didn't know you played basketball Looks like you are enjoying yourself,and congratulations.
Iain
Old 17th May 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts

Glad to hear that you're enjoying a successful return, John. I know which one is you but I won't spoil it for others.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th May 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Urmmm are you the one standing ? with a black magic wand in one hand and waving it about trying to make a spell "to win, WIN WIN"

Good for you John... on my impending trip to South Wales I am hoping to book tickets to a Male Voice Choir one evening !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 19th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Urmmm are you the one standing ? with a black magic wand in one hand and waving it about trying to make a spell "to win, WIN WIN"

Good for you John... on my impending trip to South Wales I am hoping to book tickets to a Male Voice Choir one evening !
Nice one Chevvyf1 - yep, that's me, white baton in right hand. And... we did win too, out of 9 bands in our section!!

The Following User Says Thank You to theMusicMan For This Useful Post:
Barr1e (19th May 2012)
Old 19th May 2012

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

playmusicuramus!

as harry potter would say
Old 20th May 2012

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,175 Posts

Your the one waving your arms, hoping the band are going to take notice of you. They must have if the band won the competition. Congratulations John.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 20th May 2012

Thanks everyone.

D'ya know what... there's a few things I'd love to change, one of which would be the general public's perception of bands, and the more serious side of brass music. OK, as much as I loathe it and wish it were not this way, the general way bands present themselves to the public is one of rum-tee-tum rum-tee-tum, rum-te-rum-te-rum-tee-tum, marching at fetes, playing old(ish) fashioned and stereotypical awful music in bandstands and at summer parks, and on seafront promenades etc... but can I please say here, that what you see us performing on the above shot is quite honestly, as far away as you can possibly get from that type of stuff.

What you see above was band - totally focussed and concentrating, whilst playing in a competition, and in this particular contest each band can play a single 12-20 minute piece of their choosing. The pieces chosen are nothing like the pieces you all know and have probably heard bands play in their bandstands... the pieces chosen in contests are usually:
  • (1) specifically written for brass band i.e. scored correctly for the right instrumentation, and not therefore 'made to fit' (as are the pieces played at bandstands)
  • (2) usually very very musical, and considerably demanding of soloists (those in key positions) in the band
  • (3) technically quite difficult: some weird and wonderful time sigs in amongst the regular 3/4, 4/4 etc such as 5/8, 7/16, 7/8 - remember - ALL the players, young and old, are amateur musicians. In a piece I did with this band a few weeks ago, there were 5/2, 6/2, 5/4 all i pretty much succession - very difficult for the players to read and play when you're an amateur.
I'd love for the banding movement to be more 'with it' and work harder to promote more modern music, rather than continually the boring stuff that's heard again and again. I'd love for people to be more aware of this 'musical' side of banding; the magnificence of colour, shape and form - music specifically composed and scored for the right instrumentation, music that really is wide and varied.

Anyway... I am ranting, sorry. But if anyone wants to have a listen to such a piece, I am more happy to put one up on here that I conducted with the band above recently, and that we are likely to play in our next 'own choice' contest.

<rant over>

Old 20th May 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

John, rant on if that is what makes it better do ! I do actually love to listen to a Band PROPER ! last one was Hannington Fete last year ... most I love the passion of the musicians for their instrument and music ! it is infectious !

I feel one person is missing here ... and she is probably out with her local Band as their "appointed Tog" but will soon appear
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 20th May 2012

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Anyway... I am ranting, sorry. But if anyone wants to have a listen to such a piece, I am more happy to put one up on here that I conducted with the band above recently, and that we are likely to play in our next 'own choice' contest.

<rant over>
I for one would love to hear one of the performance pieces & as a past orchestral musician (violin & viola before I discovered the joys of the vast Scottish fiddle repertoire of music), understand & appreciate a conductor that can communicate well their interpretations of a piece of music (or major composition), including seeing a clear beat from the conductor &, if the band was good enough to win a competition, it would have to be because the conductor got them there (apart from having good muso's to play the interpretation of the conductor).

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 20th May 2012

Liked 753 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
I'd love for the banding movement to be more 'with it' and work harder to promote more modern music, rather than continually the boring stuff that's heard again and again. I'd love for people to be more aware of this 'musical' side of banding; the magnificence of colour, shape and form - music specifically composed and scored for the right instrumentation, music that really is wide and varied.

<rant over>
No need to apologise for such an impassioned and well argued position. I wonder if there are any serious bands around here - is there any sort of bands network that might be able to tell me?

Ciao ... John