Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4th August 2019

Liked 59 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Whaley Bridge - Town Evacuated

If I read this: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49222956

man oh man that looks not good. I hope that everyone is safe and nobody gets hurt.
Old 4th August 2019

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts

On a side note:

The police are restricting residents access to their properties. What law allows them to do this?

Jim
Old 4th August 2019

Liked 4,012 Times in 1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
On a side note:

The police are restricting residents access to their properties. What law allows them to do this?

Jim
Common Sense I would have thought......

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Otto (4th August 2019)
Old 4th August 2019

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
On a side note:

Jim
I imagine it's to do with the fact that police have a common law duty to protect life and property. From a guardian article on police roadblocks:

"I stand to be corrected by more knowledgeable Guardian readers, but as far as I can see the police's power to close roads in the type of situation described doesn't derive from statute but is a function of the police's common law duty to protect life and property. Put simply, as a matter of tradition accepted by the courts, if a police officer thinks that drivers (or indeed pedestrians) would put themselves at risk by using a snowbound road s/he has the power to tell them not to use it."

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (4th August 2019)
Old 4th August 2019

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Common Sense I would have thought......
But if residents insist on going back to their properties, would the police physically restrain/arrest them?

Jim
Old 4th August 2019

Liked 2,515 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
On "Any Questions" the other night the panel were discussing this situation with reference to the privatisation of the water companies, completely missing the point that Todbrook is a canal reservoir, managed by the Canal and River Trust, a charity which is the successor to the old British Waterways Board. Successive governments starved the BWB of investment and didn't want to continue to fund it, which led to the transfer to the CRT. The CRT have regularly inspected the dam as is their statutory duty:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49196766
I do wish some people would change the record. You cannot blame every extraordinary event on budget cuts!

The water companies were privatised because local authorities were unable or unwilling to invest the money needed to update our water and sewerage infrastructure. I don't know whether the government foresaw EU regulations but the fact is that the water companies have probably spent more money over the past twenty years than at any time in the past century. As a result we can now go for a swim on our local beach without having to dodge turds, condoms, tampons and the other untreated detritus that used to be pumped out into the sea.

As for the dam in question, I was talking to a retired civil engineering friend yesterday with experience of such things. He said that whilst it appears that soil erosion has been going on for some time under the concrete over-spill, the reality is that the damage was probably caused in quite a short time owing to the ferocity of the water flow last week. Another factor is the recent high temperatures, which would have made the concrete slabs expand. The thermal shock caused by cold water flooding over the warm concrete would have caused sudden contraction, allowing water into the expansion joints.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4th August 2019

Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,336 Posts
Liked 2,436 Times in 1,154 Posts

With that explanation it sounds like they should be inspecting similarly constructed dams pretty urgently Nigel.
Old 4th August 2019

Liked 1,649 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
With that explanation it sounds like they should be inspecting similarly constructed dams pretty urgently Nigel.
+1 from me.

My Flickr
Old 4th August 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Well, my civil engineering friend went further and said the greatest difficulty at present is that the engineers simply don't know how much damage has been done to the dam and how much it has been weakened and undermined by water. This would all be self-evident in an open concrete structure but damage is hidden in earth dams until things have become fairly serious - which is exactly what has happened here.

I gather the engineers will need to drill multiple cores deep through the dam to examine soil samples and to better understand the condition of the dam materials.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4th August 2019

Quote:
On a side note:

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
I imagine it's to do with the fact that police have a common law duty to protect life and property. From a guardian article on police roadblocks:

"I stand to be corrected by more knowledgeable Guardian readers, but as far as I can see the police's power to close roads in the type of situation described doesn't derive from statute but is a function of the police's common law duty to protect life and property. Put simply, as a matter of tradition accepted by the courts, if a police officer thinks that drivers (or indeed pedestrians) would put themselves at risk by using a snowbound road s/he has the power to tell them not to use it."
I don't think the police have any power to remove residents from their homes against their will as long as they stay there; but the police can remove and/or arrest anyone who ignores the reasonable instructions of a uniformed officer by walking or driving into prohibited zones without good reason. Some residents have quite publicly refused to leave their homes and have been allowed to remain on the condition that they 'leg it' if the sirens sound;

Given the small number of residents remaining in Whaley Bridge the police will also keen to prevent looting. There will always be lowlife seeking to take advantage of situations like this.

The police will also be mindful of the risk to emergency services personnel when those who are refusing to leave demand to be rescued at some point.

Ultimately the police will do whatever they can to protect the public from their own stupidity, and if necessary will arrest or apprehend people for their own benefit. They can worry about the courts later.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th August 2019

Liked 3,378 Times in 1,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
The police will also be mindful of the risk to emergency services personnel when those who are refusing to leave demand to be rescued at some point.
But they are complaining that police lives are being put at risk by having to keep going to try to persuade those who have not left to do so. Why don't they take a hint and leave them alone?

Harold