Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 20th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post Firmware Version 1.50 released

Please see my post in the Announcements section for details, I have upgraded my E-1 via Olympus Viewer this afternoon without any problems to the new version 1.5. Seeing as I do not have the EC-20 you could well argue why !!

Regards

Chris
Old 21st November 2007
Paulpp

Re: Firmware Version 1.50 released

HI.. Have tried to do the same, but Viewer says it can't recognise the camera and Master says it is unable to use this function (update firmware) on this camera.
Recall having problems before.
Is there a particular order of connecting the caera, switching it on, etc that you use.
Presumably the camera needs to be in control mode?
Thanks
Old 21st November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear Paul,

I used the Oly Viewer package to update my E-1 and I can comfirm that my E-1 was set to control mode to complete the upgrade. The process that I followed was;

1) Booted PC
2) E-1 off
3) Conected the USB lead to both the PC and E-1
4) Turned on the E-1 waiting for my PC to recognise it
5) Run the Oly Viewer software
6) Select help tab, select the firmware upgrade option and follow the steps

I hope this helps

Chris
Old 21st November 2007
Paulpp

Thanks, but still no luck. I use a Mac, and in storage mode the E1 shows as a new removable drive on both the desktop and in Viewer. In Control mode does not show up in either. Strangely when connected via USB cable in either mode the E1 is "dead" and you cannot operate any of the controls including the menu. All very strange. Have e-mailed Olympus and will see what they say
Old 22nd November 2007

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulpp View Post
Thanks, but still no luck. I use a Mac, and in storage mode the E1 shows as a new removable drive on both the desktop and in Viewer. In Control mode does not show up in either. Strangely when connected via USB cable in either mode the E1 is "dead" and you cannot operate any of the controls including the menu. All very strange. Have e-mailed Olympus and will see what they say
Put the camera into Control mode. Connect it via the usb cable. Open Studio/Master, and select Camera (Studio). Away you go.

Disconnect the camera from PC when the download is done, but don't turn it off - wait for the firmware update on the camera itself to finish. Remember to return the camera to storage mode when done.

Mark
Old 23rd November 2007
Paulpp

Thanks. We seem to have this thread also under software. Apparently Viewer will not work with an intel Mac and Master only if you have v2.05, which is not an upgrade from previous versions but has to be a new download. Both confirmed with Olympus. Both relate to firmware upgrades - as far as I know Viewer and lower versions of Master both work with an intel Mac for photo transfer etc.
Old 7th February 2008
ndl0071

Help!!

Is it still possible to update the firmware for the E1?, my E1 is currently on ver 1.1, last night I tried to update using Win XP with Master and Vista with Master 2, no luck however I did manage to update my E510 so I know the software is working.

My experience with the E1 is very similar to paulp elsewhere in this thread, I have tried the sequences also posted in this thread but the camera appears to die when connected to the PC via the USB. All I get is an error message saying that the operation is not available with this camera??

Any ideas?

Thanks
Neil
Old 7th February 2008
Scapula Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndl0071 View Post
Help!!

Is it still possible to update the firmware for the E1?, my E1 is currently on ver 1.1, last night I tried to update using Win XP with Master and Vista with Master 2, no luck however I did manage to update my E510 so I know the software is working.

My experience with the E1 is very similar to paulp elsewhere in this thread, I have tried the sequences also posted in this thread but the camera appears to die when connected to the PC via the USB. All I get is an error message saying that the operation is not available with this camera??

Any ideas?

Thanks
Neil
Yes Neil and you definately should as 1.4 gave some very big improvements, however you may need to get an XP SP2 driver update. Check your system if you need it.
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...load/software/

The link has all the drivers and updates you need. failing this if you ever pass by in Berks let me know and you can use my computer to do this.

John
Old 7th February 2008
ndl0071

I appreciate the offer John.

I know my PC is already SP2'd so I don't think this can be the issue, I downloaded Master 2 onto my laptop (Vista) last night and still no go. The E1behaves completly differently to the E510 when updating, the E1 just sits there looking blank whereby the 510s screen livens up with options, press 'storage' and off you go, should the same happen when connecting the E1? I have set the option to storage in the menu but the screen does not display when connected to the PC??

Thanks again.

Neil
Old 7th February 2008
Paulpp

Hi. I know I managed to get the update installed eventually. Fairly sure the issue was about having the E1 in the correct mode and connecting /starting software in a certain order - a bit of trial and error. Somewhere on the Olympus web-site are very specific instructions.
Old 7th February 2008
E-P1 fan

If you just have an E-1 and have no plans to update to an E-3 or to buy the EC-20 - is there any point in going through all this at this time?
What would be the advantages, if any, for an E-1 owner?
Old 7th February 2008
Scapula Memory

Neil,
Is the E1 being recognised? When you plug it in do you hear the USB sound?
Old 7th February 2008
Scapula Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-1 fan View Post
If you just have an E-1 and have no plans to update to an E-3 or to buy the EC-20 - is there any point in going through all this at this time?
What would be the advantages, if any, for an E-1 owner?
There is for neil. Getting to 1.4 covers some significant advantages.
Old 7th February 2008
E-P1 fan

Ah sorry - I'm on 1.4 - so no advantages for me then???
Old 7th February 2008
ndl0071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapula Memory View Post
Neil,
Is the E1 being recognised? When you plug it in do you hear the USB sound?
Yes it does, the win download box appears as if I was going to download from the memory card.