Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 16th August 2009
gno

Resetting Shutter Count

Hi All,

I've been following an E-1 for sale on ebay, and whan asked what the shutter count was the seller replied that when he first checked it was around 1500 but somehow he had managed to reset it and it was now zero.
Is this possible? Because if it is there's not much point when buying in looking for a low shutter count if it can be manipulated at will.
I thought that it was something like the latest electronic speedos, that are supposed to be tamper proof.

Regards

Gavin
Old 16th August 2009
EH1

Wink Re: Resetting Shutter Count

The latest speedo`s are far from tamper proof! Infact they are much easier to change than the traditional car speedo`s......all you need is a laptop! I would have thought that it is also just as easy to change the shutter count on a camera if you know what you are doing, afterall its only a computer & all computers can be re-programmed! My advice to you is steer well clear of that camera as the seller is obviously trying to hide something!
Old 16th August 2009

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts
Re: Resetting Shutter Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by gno View Post
Hi All,

I've been following an E-1 for sale on ebay, and whan asked what the shutter count was the seller replied that when he first checked it was around 1500 but somehow he had managed to reset it and it was now zero.
Is this possible? Because if it is there's not much point when buying in looking for a low shutter count if it can be manipulated at will.
I thought that it was something like the latest electronic speedos, that are supposed to be tamper proof.

Regards

Gavin
My E-1 (and I am the only owner) shutter activations show 694, yet I have taken far more shots than this. It has been mentioned on this forum elsewhere I think, that this counter gets reset when updating the firmware. If so, then it makes the counter useless.

Steve
Old 16th August 2009
Archphoto

694 shots.... It could be that you have made 10.694 shots with your camera as it opens a new folder after 10.000 shots.

That's what's in my manual.......

Peter
Old 16th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archphoto View Post
694 shots.... It could be that you have made 10.694 shots with your camera as it opens a new folder after 10.000 shots.

That's what's in my manual.......

Peter
No, it's not that, I haven't got anywhere near that amount. I recon I have only taken 2000 - 3000 shots with the camera.

Steve
Old 16th August 2009
Archphoto

I have no answer to that.........
I wonder what happens if you take-out the battery and leave it out of the camera for a week or so...... Did you have to set the time at any time ?
(and I mean after the time when you bought the camera ?)

I have 9000 on my E410 in 1 1/2 years, my ex has over 10.000 on hers after one year, both show that.
My E520 has close to 3000 after 8 month....

Electronics can do strange things at times and memory is not allways that stable it seems.

Peter
Old 16th August 2009

Never had any problems with memory resetting and never had the time reset on me. The camera often lies unused without a battery in it.

I did read somewhere that upgrading the firmware reset the counters and I seem to recall (vaguely) that happening after I did an upgrade, but I can't be sure. I doesn't make sense that the counters would be reset, but it could be a bug. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Doesn't really bother me as I know roughly the number of shots the camera has taken and I have no intention of ever selling my E-1.

Steve
Old 14th October 2012
Old John

I have just upgraded from 1.0 to 1.5. The shutter count did not reset.