Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 19th July 2019

Thanked 1,117 Times in 700 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts
Smile “I‘m a lucky Barsteward”

Q/- What's black but really orange?

And we owe it to this guy... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-49012771

BBC News Item

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Internaut (20th July 2019), Naughty Nigel (19th July 2019), Wee man (19th July 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (19th July 2019), Internaut (20th July 2019), Otto (19th July 2019), Phill D (19th July 2019), The Technician (4 Weeks Ago), wornish (19th July 2019)
Old 19th July 2019

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts
Re: “I‘m a lucky Barsteward”

How interesting that there was so much resistance to Black Boxes back in the day. They are now fitted in many cars although I suspect few drivers know this.

There was no further mention of the De Havilland Comet, which I seem to remember suffered fuselage failure owing to overly-large windows with square corners, and the fact that the aircraft flew at much higher altitudes than previous turbo-prop aircraft.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 19th July 2019

Liked 1,715 Times in 639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
How interesting that there was so much resistance to Black Boxes back in the day. They are now fitted in many cars although I suspect few drivers know this.

There was no further mention of the De Havilland Comet, which I seem to remember suffered fuselage failure owing to overly-large windows with square corners, and the fact that the aircraft flew at much higher altitudes than previous turbo-prop aircraft.
If I have understood it correctly the higher altitude and possibly higher speed created greater pressure and temperature differentials between in flight and on ground than previously experience with a civil aircraft, and the square windows set up a weak point at their corner which developed stress fractures in the surrounding fuselage and ultimate failure of the surrounding structure. Changing to oval windows did away with the weak point for the stress fractures to start from. No idea whether the size of the windows was contributory as well.

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 19th July 2019

Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,298 Posts
Liked 2,339 Times in 1,111 Posts

Yes you are correct it was the square corners that created the stress concentration to initiate cracks that the changes in altitude then propagated. Good science but a tragic outcome.
Old 19th July 2019

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
If I have understood it correctly the higher altitude and possibly higher speed created greater pressure and temperature differentials between in flight and on ground than previously experience with a civil aircraft, and the square windows set up a weak point at their corner which developed stress fractures in the surrounding fuselage and ultimate failure of the surrounding structure. Changing to oval windows did away with the weak point for the stress fractures to start from. No idea whether the size of the windows was contributory as well.
It was the higher altitude (ergo lower atmospheric pressure and temperatures) that created additional stresses not previously experienced and not calculated for that resulted in catastrophic failure of the air frames.

A sample aircraft was apparently tested to destruction by filling it with water and pressurising the cabin until it failed. This hydraulic test test revealed the window weaknesses.

Britain led the world in aircraft design and production at the time, but it seems our openness in telling the world about the causes of the air frame failures allowed competitors including Boeing to take advantage of what we had learned the hard way.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing