Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 19th April 2019

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Recommended reading

Due to just having had knee surgery i have been given 2 months off work, and longer still off the gym!
It's my intention to use the time wisely on my hobby. Apart from a short while studying photography i have never shot raw. The jpg files always seemed to be better than what i could produce. Now i have time on my hands and a selection of shots taken recently i want to see if i can master processing. (Or at the very least, get comfortable with a workable process)

I'm looking for advice/guidance/tutorials etc about workflow and processing to publishing.

I currently have Photoshop Elements with some Topaz plugins. Im reluctant to go down the subscription software route, so what options are there for me?

Many thanks for any advice.
T 😊

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 19th April 2019

Liked 110 Times in 73 Posts
Re: Recommended reading

What version of PSE have you got Tracey?
Old 19th April 2019

Liked 187 Times in 128 Posts

I don't like the idea of renting software either. I purchased DXO Photolab (including the DXO Viewpoint add-on) and a copy of Affinity Photo thinking I'd want the latter for any detailed local editing. In practice I find I hardly ever bother with Affinity and have pretty well forgotten how to use it; for my needs DXO presets (with a few geometric adjustments and cropping, and occasional minor local adjustments) are good enough for most things, and dead easy to use. Some of the tools on the market have a bewilderingly large number of tools, whose effects are only vaguely described.

Best wishes for your rehab.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobEW For This Useful Post:
jonesy (20th April 2019)
Old 19th April 2019

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,421 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

I find Photshop Elements 12 good enough for my needs (its about 6 or 7 years old). It has layers and masking which is the main criteria for complicated techniques. I believe that later versions have better auto selection algorithms amongst other improvements. I also purchased "Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe)) Classroom in a Book (Adobe)" which to be honest was not as good as I wanted. Half the book seems devoted to managing and storing your photos and trying to find some of the editing techniques I wanted in the second half was like looking for a needle in a haystack - I had better luck with google and you tube.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
jonesy (20th April 2019)
Old 19th April 2019

I use Lightroom 6, that was the last standalone version. Also have the Nik collection as plug ins, got that when it was free a couple of years ago.
Also got PSE 2018, still got version 9 too and the book that goes with it hence the reason I asked what version the OP had.
I find the Scott Kelby books useful and for a more detailed approach the Martin Evening guides are good too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tram For This Useful Post:
jonesy (20th April 2019)
Old 20th April 2019

Liked 251 Times in 128 Posts

I gave up Photoshop two years ago in favour of Affinity Photo and have never regretted the move. I’m about £200 ahead and saving £10 a month. The main thing however is that AP does everything I need, has excellent in-house video tutorials that mercifully are produced on this side of the Atlantic. The raw conversion works extremely well from within the software unlike Adobe Raw Converter. Plus all the raw tools can be used on jpegs. Good luck with whatever you decide.

David
jonesy (20th April 2019)
Old 20th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
What version of PSE have you got Tracey?
Hi, thank you for the reply.
I've just checked and its elements 14 i currently own.

Old 20th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
Hi, thank you for the reply.
I've just checked and its elements 14 i currently own.
Thanks, the book I have is for PSE 9, was going to offer it up for free, but not much use to you then.
Old 20th April 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

I'd suggest that you do not start with Photoshop or other "destructive" general purpose image editors. These all directly manipulate the image and the raw processing part is limited to import and basic image manipulation. They are really aimed at graphic artists rather than photographers. They do a lot, but they are also complicated and not intuitive for photographers.

Instead, you need a specific raw image processing tool like Lightroom. These are "non destructive" - they work directly off the raw file and build changes as a separate set of instructions that are applied to the file for viewing or ultimately for export as a jpeg or for printing. They usually also offer some form of catalogue management. Their features are targeted at photographers. They do less than the Photoshop type tools, but they are much easier to use.

I use Lightroom, which these days is subscription at just under £10 a month. Ok, it's over £100 a year, but otoh, I get all the updates which I'd need to pay for as new versions if I bought a perpetual licence version. If I were to choose a paid- for alternative to Lightroom, I'd go for DxO.

If you want free though, I'd recommend RawTherapee - the latest version is very good. Its only downside is that the UI is a bit challenging to new users.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
jonesy (20th April 2019)
Old 20th April 2019

I have just had an ad for Udemy.com, photography masterclass appear on my Facebook page, has anyone here done this course or anything similar?

Old 20th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Thanks, the book I have is for PSE 9, was going to offer it up for free, but not much use to you then.
Thanks for the kind offer. I do appreciate it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonesy For This Useful Post:
Tram (20th April 2019)
Old 20th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I'd suggest that you do not start with Photoshop or other "destructive" general purpose image editors. These all directly manipulate the image and the raw processing part is limited to import and basic image manipulation. They are really aimed at graphic artists rather than photographers. They do a lot, but they are also complicated and not intuitive for photographers.

Instead, you need a specific raw image processing tool like Lightroom. These are "non destructive" - they work directly off the raw file and build changes as a separate set of instructions that are applied to the file for viewing or ultimately for export as a jpeg or for printing. They usually also offer some form of catalogue management. Their features are targeted at photographers. They do less than the Photoshop type tools, but they are much easier to use.

I use Lightroom, which these days is subscription at just under £10 a month. Ok, it's over £100 a year, but otoh, I get all the updates which I'd need to pay for as new versions if I bought a perpetual licence version. If I were to choose a paid- for alternative to Lightroom, I'd go for DxO.

If you want free though, I'd recommend RawTherapee - the latest version is very good. Its only downside is that the UI is a bit challenging to new users.
Thanks for this, i will look at what DxO does. I'm more than happy to pay for software, its just the subscription model i hate.

Old 20th April 2019

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Recommended reading

Photoshop Elements already includes Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) for processing your raw files. ACR uses the same algorithms as Lightroom but just has a different user interface. I believe that PSE 14 can be upgraded to v9.5 of ACR which I think was released end 2015 or early 2016. So unless your camera was released after these dates you already have everything you need to start processing your raw files non destructively. Worst case scenario if your camera is not supported by the ACR version you have you can convert these to DNG (Adobe Digital Negative Raw Image file) and process them, bit of a flog but ‘doable’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to rosiebud For This Useful Post:
jonesy (20th April 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Tram (20th April 2019)
Old 20th April 2019

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

Regardless of whether you have to pay a yearly amount or a perceived one off payment (until the next version is announced/released) with new function or support for a new version of the operating system you will end up paying money to the software developers on a frequent basis.

Also when chosing which software you will go with you have to consider how much it will lock you in to the software. Lightroom does lock you in quite hard as you are dependant on the information in the control database to regenerate the images from the Raw files.

The other item to be considered is the DAM - Data Asset Management - make sure that the DAM is open and will enable you to access the RAW files without the main program being available and can be used to migrate to another system if you choose to .

I was caught on a very nice (to me) Image management and editing system that was orphaned by the developer with no further support. The migration path to the next program I used was so challenging that I used a cutover date such that all pictures taken before a specific date remain on the old software and pictures taken after the drop dead date reside on the new software.

If the old program no longer works on a future version of the operating system then I will keep a SW environment that will support the old image management system.
jonesy (20th April 2019)
Old 20th April 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Recommended reading for you: 'This is going to hurt; Secret diaries of a junior doctor', by Adam Kay. Also catch him in theatre (no, not the operating theatre, he's hung up his stethoscope).

on flickr