Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 13th April 2019

Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,299 Posts
Liked 2,340 Times in 1,112 Posts
Re: Panasonic 100-400 Photo Show saga. Buyers warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
There are several visual differences in the two mounts, with slightly different profiles to the flanges but, in my case, it is the Oly mount, where it looks as though plating has flaked off, to show the brass underneath.

I just went back to look at this thread prompted by a comment on Facebook and noticed the debris around the screw head in your Panny image Mike. That looks suspiciously like the remnants of small metal shavings to me. Very similar to what I saw. In fact when I tried to remove one of the larger shavings with a small pair of tweezers it shattered into several much smaller bits implying it was very brittle material hence resorting to sticky tape to remove all the small debris. Hope it's not metal debris on your lens Mike but you might want to have a closer look and give it a clean just in case.
Old 13th April 2019

Liked 480 Times in 251 Posts

Hi everyone, back again and trying to catch up on everything.

Over the past year or so I have been constantly amazed that, considering the ongoing problems with the Panny 100-400, Olympus has not given us a competitive alternative to this lens and have allowed Panny to corner this end of the market.
Old 13th April 2019

Liked 251 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
I am by nature cautious. But I would be very cautious of a 'company' that runs out of a semi-detached house with no company formally registered to that address, to that person or by the names used (Clearer Images, Ace Camera Repair, Michael Carroll) as far as the Companies House website and others are aware. Being a limited company places obligations on the Company to submit records and accounts to Company House - so it could just be a sole trader.
But the website claims to be the copyright of Clearer Images Inc. (Inc. is a term more normally used in the US) it is running on the domain https://www.acecamerarepair.co.uk - which I have not been able to find much about either. So I have concerns.
As a Panasonic user I would like to think there are alternatives to repair but please be very cautious about how they might deal with complex optics, and the care of your property whilst mending it. Panasonic say they cannot deal with the more exotic optics in the UK and need to send them to Japan - but they also said they were changing that. I am still waiting.
I see a few people elsewhere talking about their experiences with this operation, so you may be OK but it is worth asking a few questions, I feel.
While it's prudent in this day and age to be cautious, I can think of a shedload of good reasons why a lens repairer would want to operate from home. A few years ago, I ran for a train, the zip on my bag wasn't closed properly and my Nikon D300 and lens hit Platform 2 at Waterloo with quite a thump. Amazingly there was no real damage to either camera or lens but I couldn't get the filter off of the lens.
I did some research and traced a guy within travelling distance and found the address was his private residence. He took the camera and lens and his charming wife made me a cuppa while I waited. Ten minutes later, he reappeared and the filter had been removed. I asked the cost and he said 'have that on me'. He had been in charge of repairs at Wallace Heaton (remember them). All in all a very good experience.

David
AMc (15th April 2019), Jim Ford (14th April 2019), MJ224 (13th April 2019), OM USer (30th April 2019)
Old 13th April 2019

Liked 456 Times in 204 Posts

Some years ago I took my Panasonic Leica 4/3 14~150mm lens to Michael Carroll (at his home in A-u-L).
The zoom function had become very stiff to operate through a part of it's range.
Michael dismantled the lens to the extent possible but was unable to make any repair because the internals are held together in a sealed polycarbonate sub-assembly. He didn't want any payment for his work. In passing he said his bread & butter camera jobs were the repair of Panasonic P&S camera shutter faults.

As for my lens - it ended up being sent to Panasonic's nominated UK repairer who after a very long delay offered a replacement at an exorbitant price. This experience made me decide never to purchase another Panasonic lens because of their lack of product support.
Old 14th April 2019

Liked 1,260 Times in 721 Posts

With the introduction of the S1 series, Panasonic have acknowledged their Pro responsibilities if they are going to be recognised by people who earn their crusts from the company's products, and they’ve introduced a Pro support package:

https://lumixpro.panasonic.com/uk/

This includes bodies such as the G9 and GH5, as well as a lot of the lenses including the 100-400. Various levels of support are available at different prices, so it might be worth investigating the value of joining by anyone concerned about the longevity of their gear...

I've got 3 Panasonic lenses which I’ve either had for years and so owe me nothing (12-35 f2.8 and 15 f1.7) or are cheap as chips (12-32), but i must say it’s highly unlikely I’ll ever buy any more Panny gear. For anyone invested in m4/3 for the long term they’ve got a lot to do to win back my confidence.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (14th April 2019)
Old 14th April 2019

Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts

First year free, can't see any thing stating that it's first new purchases only?. Will they have a mad rush by 100-400 users having their mount checked.
Old 14th April 2019

Liked 3,520 Times in 1,639 Posts

Well I suspect they are trying to correct the recent bad press they have had.

Can't really loose if, like me, you only own one Pany lens. That is the 100-400mm, and I have no problems with it at all. Great lens...……...

My Flickr
Old 14th April 2019

Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Well I suspect they are trying to correct the recent bad press they have had.

Can't really loose if, like me, you only own one Pany lens. That is the 100-400mm, and I have no problems with it at all. Great lens...……...
I've had mine two years next month and the same as you no problems with the mount.
We must be the lucky ones.
MJ224 (14th April 2019)
Old 14th April 2019

Liked 116 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
...they’ve introduced a Pro support package:

https://lumixpro.panasonic.com/uk/

This includes bodies such as the G9 and GH5, as well as a lot of the lenses including the 100-400....
I took a look at this... you have to have a relatively high-end body registered to be eligible, it seems. Even though I have a 100-400, I only have a GX80 Panny body and that ain't good enough. I was unable to register with just the lens.
Old 14th April 2019

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
I just went back to look at this thread prompted by a comment on Facebook and noticed the debris around the screw head in your Panny image Mike. That looks suspiciously like the remnants of small metal shavings to me. Very similar to what I saw. In fact when I tried to remove one of the larger shavings with a small pair of tweezers it shattered into several much smaller bits implying it was very brittle material hence resorting to sticky tape to remove all the small debris. Hope it's not metal debris on your lens Mike but you might want to have a closer look and give it a clean just in case.
From the description I appears to be chrome plating flaking off because the substrate wasn't adequately prepared. Chrome is a very brittle material and also very hard, so you don't want loose hard material in your camera!

Jim
Old 14th April 2019

Exactly my concern Jim. I was even more concerned when the first and largest shard I tried to remove with fine tweazers dissintegrated under no pressure at all. I quickly resorted to rolled up sticky tape.
Old 30th April 2019

Liked 214 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Since my earlier post, I found time to put the 100-400 lens mount screw under the microscope. It does look as though the screw head has been rubbed, presumable during attachment to the camera. Perhaps these screws sometimes stand slightly proud of the mount itself and could be cause of the trouble with stiffness and flaking?

I also stuck some tape over the screw and then inspected it for debris. The imprint of the screw head is visible on the tape (I've enhanced it a little in this image), together with some debris around the screw.

Since this part of the flange is outside the bayonet ring, I'm not too concerned about particles entering the camera, especially as I always aim to change lenses with the open throat facing downwards. Many old mounts show wear down to the brass, so some debris seems bound to occur.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (30th April 2019), snerkler (30th April 2019)
Old 30th April 2019

I guess over a long time then yes wear can be expected but I wouldn't expect to see it after the first fitting as I did especially on a £1000+ lens.
Old 1st May 2019

Liked 545 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Over the past year or so I have been constantly amazed that, considering the ongoing problems with the Panny 100-400, Olympus has not given us a competitive alternative to this lens and have allowed Panny to corner this end of the market.

Olympus have one shown on their lens roadmap. Let's hope it comes soon.

Scroll down this page: https://learnandsupport.getolympus.c...-announcements
The Following User Says Thank You to Bengeo For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (5th May 2019)
Mdb2 (5th May 2019)
Old 1st May 2019

Liked 480 Times in 251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengeo View Post
Olympus have one shown on their lens roadmap. Let's hope it comes soon.

Scroll down this page: https://learnandsupport.getolympus.c...-announcements
Yes, thanks, I saw that when the roadmap was first shown. Couldn't agree more when you say let's hope it comes soon.