Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus' OM-D model aimed squarely at professional photographers

Old 18th February 2019

Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts
M1X..Harsh review, realistic perhaps?

https://www.thephoblographer.com/201...s-to-a-camera/
Old 18th February 2019

Liked 545 Times in 187 Posts
Re: M1X..Harsh review, realistic perhaps?

To repeat what I said on another forum:

He says "In continuous AF, my only issue is that itís sometimes difficult to see the autofocus point as you pan with a subject. But with a PRO grade lens, the Olympus OMD EM1X can keep up with a lot of subjects. Continuous Tracking AF is where I was getting into problems ...."

This reflects what many other reviewers have said. C-AF is improved, but C-AF with Tracking is still not good, unless you use one of the Planes, Trains & Automobiles modes.

I haven't seen any review where they have compared the various sensitivity and centre focus priority / start options.
Hopefully C-AF will be good enough until the extra tracking modes are added. We'll all find out in a few days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bengeo For This Useful Post:
OM USer (18th February 2019)
Old 18th February 2019

Liked 242 Times in 57 Posts

Reading that you would think why bother but we all know Continuous Tracking AF is not that good it's not very good on the OMD-MKII but if they really have improved the CAF it's really all you need .
What we don't know is how he set the EM1X up for CAF for BIF I'm sure it will need tweaking to make it work i.e not 18fps -10 to give it a little more time to get the AF how many focus points did he use ALL points is not too good 5 or 9 would be better did he change the tracking speed +1 seems to work nicely as for ISO up to 1600 is ok on the OMD MKII ( Lower is better ) but for birds if its that dark i'm on my way home as the light is too dull .
I look forward to seeing a review by a birder I did read one that praised the CAF over the OMD MKII it almost made me pre order so i'm still very interested

The A9 seems to be the top mirror less but to get 600mm field of view your back to giant lenses never mind the cost .
I sound like a fanboy lol but I still use Canon with a big white I just love the relative lightness of MFT.
Rob.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Bengeo (18th February 2019)
Old 19th February 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,693 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengeo View Post
To repeat what I said on another forum:

He says "In continuous AF, my only issue is that itís sometimes difficult to see the autofocus point as you pan with a subject. But with a PRO grade lens, the Olympus OMD EM1X can keep up with a lot of subjects. Continuous Tracking AF is where I was getting into problems ...."

This reflects what many other reviewers have said. C-AF is improved, but C-AF with Tracking is still not good, unless you use one of the Planes, Trains & Automobiles modes.

I haven't seen any review where they have compared the various sensitivity and centre focus priority / start options.
Hopefully C-AF will be good enough until the extra tracking modes are added. We'll all find out in a few days.
The custom target modes should, I expect, be added to - BIF, for a start. It's a software thing.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 19th February 2019

Liked 538 Times in 150 Posts

I think small birds in a busy background will forever be beyond the focus on sensor technology, as the time to lock on in CAF is too great to keep up with small birds in motion.I await global shutter tech to resolve this issue on mirrorless cameras, problem being instant redundancy when it does come.I hope I am wrong,but the electronical maths say otherwise.but I love my mk2, the best oly camera since the om1.
Old 19th February 2019

Liked 545 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The custom target modes should, I expect, be added to - BIF, for a start. It's a software thing.
It's a pity that they didn't have time to add birds and other animals (including humans) at launch. That would have made a much bigger splash! One thing I have learned about Olympus is that you have to be patient, but they usually get there in the end ... e.g. the long waits for the 300mm f4 and the return of the small focus point and better C-AF on the EM1 Mk 2.
Old 19th February 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

I suspect part of this reviewer's criticisms stem from not really understanding how the CAF works and how to get the best from it. I only partly blame him on this since once again we have almost ZERO information from Olympus on how it works beyond the marketing babble.

We know about how it tracks planes, trains and automobiles, but we know nothing really about whether the tracking feature without the subject recognition (i.e. CAF + Tracking) is improved over the E-M1ii. If it hasn't and this was what the reviewer was using then I'm amazed he got ANYTHING in focus since let's be honest CAF + Tracking is no better on the E-M1ii than it was with the E-M5 in 2012 and it was pretty bad then.

Even if we ignore the Tracking feature and just concentrate on CAF, then how do all those settings for "Loose and Tight" and "AF Scanner" work? How should they be set? How does the CAF pick the square to use when we select a cross of squares or a square? Should we keep CAF activated or "pump" the AF on/off when we lose the subject? When does CDAF and PDAF operate? What are the differences? Is there a difference between lenses? etc etc etc

Search the manuals and good luck coming to any helpful conclusion.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (20th February 2019)