Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 9th December 2018

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Sigma 150-600 mm adapted for MFT???

I read that people have used the Sigma 150-600mm lens with something called a Metabones T smart adapter to work with MFT system cameras. Is this true? If so

- Which mount lens adapts best - Canon, Nikon or some other?
- In aperture terms, how does it translate into MFT system?
- Likewise, how does it translate in terms of focal length? Is it still the 1:2 ratio?
- What is the tradeoff, if any? I mean, does AF work and so on.
Old 9th December 2018

Liked 214 Times in 141 Posts
Re: Sigma 150-600 mm adapted for MFT???

I haven't used one of these, but I believe the Metabones retains the electronic connections with Canon EF lenses.
Old 10th December 2018

Liked 882 Times in 403 Posts

I should be able to answer most of your questions. I don't use the Sigma, so will tell you, and show you what I have used.

Firstly adapted lenses work well on the metabones adaptor. I cannot tell you how pleased I have been with what comes out. I also have a Canon 70D and that is better for action and shows the full capability of the lens. But it depends on what sort of action you actually need as to the performance of the adapted lens.

The lenses are what they say they are. A 600mm lens is always that. Sensors give you varying crop factors (and all other parameters remain the same as the adapter passes the lens information to the camera). So on the 70D I get a 1.6 times crop factor and a 2 times on m4/3.

I can use SAF and MF tweaking (as I do on an Olympus lens).

I have the Olympus EM5mk2 and the Panasonic G9 and both work. But the 20mp sensor is so much better for long lenses I use that far more. I am sure I could find an Olympus version if needed but these are both from the G9.

The first is from a couple of weeks ago. I looked out of my window and saw a Muntjac grabbed the G9 and Canon 100-400 lens and went to my garden fence. i took about 20 shots as it was a dreadful grey day. This was iso 3600 I did try to dial it back but it was grey and muntjacs do move a lot. So this was as it paused. It is probably 80+ yards away and this is 80% of the frame.

Sorry it is big but I thought that helps show the result.

This was from a hide, showing a Kingfisher bringing up a pellet. Same lens but slightly better iso. Only 1600 this time. It is just the time of year! Dull light and not close, but still interesting behaviour.

Whilst I was in the hide with some other folks I had a conversation about the Sigma. They were using the Tamron 150-600 G2 lens and said that they had changed from the Sigma because of weight, but felt the performance of the Tamron was better as well. So my money will be on that one.

I have just purchased a 1.4 teleconverter for the 100-400. It works but the weather has not given me much chance to use it. If we get a sunny day I will add some of that.

Does that help?

You can see some of my things on Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (10th December 2018), OM USer (10th December 2018)
Old 10th December 2018

And just to help a bit more I have taken shots in better weather and have a small album on Flickr.

This is with a budget lens which is OK on the Canon 70D but seems to work better with contrast focus detection.

The Flickr album is here

The lenses work really well, I have only 3 to try (they all work) but I do see many people happy with the Metabones. I use the Metabones Canon EF to Micro 4/3 T 11 adapter Manufacturers Part Number: MB_EF-M43-BT2 (just to be sure we are talking about the same one)

The Following User Says Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (10th December 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (10th December 2018)
Old 10th December 2018

Just for completeness I put the lens on the EM5mk2 and used a monopod to keep the iso down to 640 (1/40 at f8 ...as it is still not very bright today...). This is SAF which is slow on the EM5 but fairly exact. It is across a field, maybe 80 yards.

All of the frame, lightroom standard auto fix.

Unless there are questions I'll stop at this point.

BTW...I told Panasonic they had lost a sale because of their dubious record of repair on their 100-400 and the results I can get this way.

The Following User Says Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (10th December 2018)
Old 10th December 2018

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

Thanks Artframes. Those are cracking pictures and you have answered all my queries.

Before I saw your response I also spoke to Wex about this. Based on what you both have told me, I am putting what I understand of this down below (correct me if I am wrong) and (sorry) ask a couple more questions.

- The Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 lens can be made to work with mt OMD EM5 MkII or Pen-F using a Metabones adapter. The Canon fit lens is a better choice as per Wex. Do you agree?

- When used with the adapter, the lens behaves like a 150-600mm f5-6.3 MFT lens with an MFT system ie 300-1200mm focal length and f10-12.6 (depth of field only) in terms of FF equivalen. Is that right?

Wex told me that the far more expensive 'sport' version of the 150-600mm Sigma would probably be a bit better than the more common 'contemporary' version. The former is over £500 more expensive and so is that a justified expense between the two?

Wex also said that there are 2 types of Metabones adapter for this. One is the standard adapter that gives the above result and the other a "speedboost" adapter, some £200 more expensive, that works faster but may (he seemed uncertain about this) compromise on the focal length. Do you know anything about this?
Old 10th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
Thanks Artframes. Those are cracking pictures and you have answered all my queries.

Before I saw your response I also spoke to Wex about this.

I bought my adapter from Park as it was cheaper. They were unsure about how good it would be and agreed for me to return it if it did not work as promised. But I was able to write a glowing review...!

In the end I can handhold and take pictures that were beyond their anticipation. They said hand-holding would be unlikely. Most retailers will not be happy offering advice as there is so much to go wrong. Technique is one of the variables involved. The technology only gets you so far...

The Canon fit lens is a better choice as per Wex. Do you agree?

I have only tried Canon as I also run a Canon system for birding. If you don't then you have no backstop if you don't get on with it as an adapted lens ...that..seems risky to me....

- When used with the adapter, the lens behaves like a 150-600mm f5-6.3 MFT lens with an MFT system ie 300-1200mm focal length and f10-12.6 (depth of field only) in terms of FF equivalen. Is that right?

I get lost with 'equivalence' arguments. I can take pictures at the same f stops on the Canon and Olympus cameras. I don't seek to compare them with 'full-frame' systems. To me they give some nice backgrounds (see below for an example). My concern is about usability and getting enough light and that is always going to be a challenge in the UK at this time of year.

Wex told me that the far more expensive 'sport' version of the 150-600mm Sigma would probably be a bit better than the more common 'contemporary' version. The former is over £500 more expensive and so is that a justified expense between the two?

Weight is the key issue look at the weight difference between contemporary and sport. Everyone I know who has one says it is a big lump. 1930g vs 2860g. My 100-400 is 1640g and that is not easy...plus the price difference is worth a spare Canon body...

Wex also said that there are 2 types of Metabones adapter for this. One is the standard adapter that gives the above result and the other a "speedboost" adapter, some £200 more expensive, that works faster but may (he seemed uncertain about this) compromise on the focal length. Do you know anything about this?

Yes there are focal reducers which give you brighter apertures by a stop but reduce the focal length by about a third. TBH they are mostly going to suit portrait shooters or videographers. They will be wanting to get the benefits of faster aperture. But reduced focal length is the opposite of the need for a telephoto lens user.

This Bullfinch was handheld fully open and gives me a good background and nice details. I'm happy with that. I think equivalence is a guide and like most guides is useful to a point...

Does this help?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (10th December 2018), OM USer (10th December 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Melaka (12th December 2018), MJ224 (10th December 2018)
Old 10th December 2018

So for the hell of it I put the teleconverter (just a cheap one) on so it is 560.0mm (35mm equivalent: 1120mm) and on a monopod taken at 1/30 and f9 iso 640. Needless to say most of the shots had subject movement as the pheasants tried to get away, but this isn't bad.

All my shots with the 70-300 as a comparison for you had subject movement and the birds are all hiding now.

The point of that was about lens quality. I have no experience with the Sigma quality at full focal length many, including the Olympus lens, are nothing like the best at full stretch. It would be something to look out for in deciding between the two Sigmas.

Old 10th December 2018

Liked 1,383 Times in 358 Posts

Hi,

For m4/3 and Metabones then only Canon lenses are supported, not Nikon.

http://metabones.com/products

The focal length of the lens and the aperture will remain the same if you use the Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds T Smart Adapter. A 150-600mm lens will remain a 150-600mm lens.

AF is supported. It's not lightning fast, though. Expect some hunting from time to time, however the good news is that AF-S when acquired is accurate. AF-C is supported however hardly usable as it is too slow for most subjects.

On that same page Metabones list the lenses that have been tested to work with m4/3 cameras. The Sigma 150-600 is not listed there, probably because they have not tested it. A friend of mine used (borrowed) that same lens for a week and reported it worked fine. He decided not to buy it though as he got better results with the Canon 400 F/5.6 which he already had. I'm using the same lens by the way and have got good results with it. Lastly the good news is that the E-M1/E-M1.2 will accept the 400 F/4.6 with a 1.4 extender and still with AF.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 12th December 2018

Liked 242 Times in 57 Posts

As Tord says AF-C is very poor even with my top of the range Canon lenses it just not worth trying -single AF is fine.
Rob.
Old 12th December 2018

Liked 1,383 Times in 358 Posts

In my case the only subjects where the C-AF managed to keep up with subject motion have been placid gulls following a predictable trajectory.

BTW I forgot to mention that the OMD IBIS is a valuable asset with lenses not having IS, such as the Canon 400/5.6. If your priority is the long end of the zoom lens I would rather look at the Canon 400/5.6 and optionally the 1.4X extender. You will get a highly portable setup which is capable of producing sharp results hand-held. This lens can be found used at attracive price point and so does the version 2 of the extender.

PS what m 4/3 camera body are you planning to use?

My Gallery on 500px