Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 7th March 2018

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Grrr - really dislike the Olympus Menu setup

I've had my E-M5 for a couple of months now and have to say that whilst I remain generally positive about the camera, there are a couple of things I really dislike! Top of the list is the menu system, no as far as I'm concerned modern digital kit is stuffed to the gills with options I'm probably never going to use, but the number of times I've set something by accident and spent ages try to figure out what I've done and re-set it has been phenomenal Also that EVF - well it certainly doesn't fit my eye with or without glasses and I feel the deeper eye cup for glasses wearers is even worse.

What I do like is the image quality and the customisable function buttons. Over the last month I've decided to invest in some of the 'Pro' lenses, so can't be that bad.

Up to now probably 80% of my photography is done indoors, but I decided to get the 7-14mm lens to get out and about more, so will be getting back into landscape and 'arty' stuff in the coming months. Indoors my 'go to' lens is the rather wonderful 40-150mm, which I think is one of the best lenses I've ever owned, especially with it's close focus ability. One thing I do find odd thought is that when I'm using certain trigger set-ups and manually focusing, it isn't sufficient to just pull back on the focus ring to engage manual focus, but you also have to set the camera to manual focus or it introduces a shutter lag, as if the lens isn't telling the body its set to manual focus! Whilst talking about focus, one of the poorer aspects is the cameras (in)ability to focus in poor light - far worse than my Fuji compacts I used prior to this, but we are talking about a very dark room. But on the whole reasonably please with my Olympus & MFT experience so far.
090657 (7th March 2018), OM USer (7th March 2018)
Old 18th March 2018

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Re: Grrr - really dislike the Olympus Menu setup

Well it is an old camera but once you set the menus you don't need to keep going back to them . You must have a big house if an 40-150 is good inside or small things you photograph! 4/3 s not ideal in terms of sensitivity for "dark" interiors unless you use a flash. A friend has a range of manual lenses with large apertures 1.2 etc which is how he gets over the poor sensitivity.
Old 18th March 2018

Liked 214 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
.....the number of times I've set something by accident and spent ages try to figure out what I've done and re-set it has been phenomenal.....
My approach to that problem was to make sure I customised all the buttons so that they only did things that I wanted. Turn 'off' any button functions you don't want, so that they can't mess things up

I found this a greater problem with the E-M5 because its buttons are small and easily pressed by accident. My E-M1 seems to cause me less trouble but I still turn 'off' functions I don't use (including the touch screen!)
Old 18th March 2018

Liked 3,512 Times in 1,636 Posts

I think we all went thru that pain barrier.............

Its OK once you dismiss the stuff you are never likely to use. But its always interesting to hear what other users play with, and suddenly the setting becomes useful, for a while anyway...........

Keep pluggin' away, any complicated system is complicated to use ()

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
MikeOxon (18th March 2018)
Old 18th March 2018

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

I have a small bit of tape over the eye sensor to the right of the eyepiece ..this stops the main screen coming on and saves on battery ...
Old 18th March 2018

Liked 214 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistnbroke View Post
I have a small bit of tape over the eye sensor to the right of the eyepiece ..this stops the main screen coming on and saves on battery ...
The eye sensor is one of the many things I turn 'off' in the menus. I simply use the button to the side, to change between eyepiece and screen when I want to do it.
Old 18th March 2018

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
I think we all went thru that pain barrier.............

Its OK once you dismiss the stuff you are never likely to use. But its always interesting to hear what other users play with, and suddenly the setting becomes useful, for a while anyway...........

Keep pluggin' away, any complicated system is complicated to use ()

Mark, I have to respectfully disagree with you when you say any complicated system is complicated to use. Many things are complicated under the bonnet, but good design makes the 'thing' easy to use. A car is easy to use but is complicated. A nuclear power plant is complicated but has to be manageable by humans. It would fail the design objective if the user said on a forum, how do you shut down the reactor in an emergency. I've read the instruction manual but I can't seem to work it out. I'll have to do a complete reset and somehow restore 'myset'.
Good design makes complex systems usable by humans. The problem with modern digital cameras is this: the designers have no clear idea what they the marketing people want. They said make it do everything and that's what they got, a bugger's muddle.

on flickr
Old 18th March 2018

Liked 3,512 Times in 1,636 Posts

Kinda agree with you to a point.

Manual control systems are learnt by muscle memory, cars, music etc. Software is slightly different. First you gotta understand whats available before you dive in an press buttons. Look at Photoshop, AutoCAD to name a couple. They do things I didn't know I wanted to do. But that is the learning curve of any complicated system.

My old box brownie only had two control, wind the film on and press the exposure button. Whilst under the bonnet, the film technology in production and developing could be complicated, the system interface was very simple. But its output could be classed as simple as well.........

I guess if intelligent people are saying that the Oly menu's are difficult, then that's accepted. But what I am saying is that any system that is complicated is gonna take a little time to learn...............

My Flickr
Old 18th March 2018

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Well that's what I'm trying to say, things can be extremely complicated at the engineering level, but they have to be easy for humans to operate. The Eurofighter Typhoon is extremely complicated with multiple computers, and further computers to arbitrate in even of mixed response. But to the pilot they have to be easy to fly, otherwise the pilot WILL crash, it's just a matter of time.

on flickr
Old 18th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistnbroke View Post
You must have a big house if an 40-150 is good inside or small things you photograph! 4/3 s not ideal in terms of sensitivity for "dark" interiors unless you use a flash. A friend has a range of manual lenses with large apertures 1.2 etc which is how he gets over the poor sensitivity.
I bought the 40-150 specifically for indoor use in my little studio space as give the wonderful Olympus design it's close focus ability makes it perfect for product photography. At the same time the lower end of the range is great for portraiture plus it's not too shabby outdoors for a bit of wildlife action, especially with the Mc-14

When I do my indoor studio work generally I have blackout curtains in place and use very low levels of ambient light, but since getting the M5, I've doubled the modelling light wattage on my flash units to aid focus or just do it manually. As for the manual option, I've found just pulling back on the focus ring to engage the manual focus option introduces and element of delay in triggering the flash, this can only be resolved by setting the camera to manual focus as well! I probably will get used to the camera, but I do find it hard work (menu wise) and was almost tempted by a Panasonic last week but resisted as I'd sooner put my money in the right place with some good glass...
Old 18th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Well that's what I'm trying to say, things can be extremely complicated at the engineering level, but they have to be easy for humans to operate. The Eurofighter Typhoon is extremely complicated with multiple computers, and further computers to arbitrate in even of mixed response. But to the pilot they have to be easy to fly, otherwise the pilot WILL crash, it's just a matter of time.
Given that analogy I've crashed my M5 so many times....
MJ224 (19th March 2018)