Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 2nd November 2017

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts
Live time for landscape

Hi I have been playing about with the big stopper and noticed when in bulb/ live time the picture starts to develop as to speak and the histogram starts and although the timer is running it does not over develop the image no matter how long I leave it? The images are dark, what am I doing wrong? PS em1 mk2 in manual mode
Kind regards Mike.
Old 3rd November 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts
Re: Live time for landscape

See page 30 of the manual.

Bulb/Livetime is intended for low light/night time photography if you also use a big stopper you will have almost no light at all and the time taken to obtain an image will be enormous. You will also cause overheating of the sensor and the camera will switch to Noise Reduction mode where it will take a second exposure of the same duration with the shutter closed.

ps. This thread needs to be in the E-M 1MKII board as it is not a tutorial.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 4th November 2017

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts
Re: Live time for landscape

Thanks for your comments and apologies for wrongly placing it under tuition. I was doing landscape and the images were taking up to 3mins in A mode but the live time wasn’t lasting that long, it seems its restricted to 24 refreshes? So each time the exposure alters due to lighting conditions one has to divide 24 into the exposure time ie a 48second exposure is that you have a 2second refresh time? If I am right. Also you have to then change to M Mode to enable all this. And yes it would switch to noise reduction automatically, Since found out the answer and system on utube.
Kind regards Mike
PeterBirder (4th November 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (4th November 2017)