Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 23rd January 2017

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
9-18 firmware upgrade fail

I was updating the firmware on my lenses tonight with no problems until it came to my mft 9-18, at the end of the update instead of the expected OK I got the letters NG on my screen, anyone know what that means ?, anyway my lens no longer works, it doesn't register on the camera and I can see nothing but a blank screen through the viewfinder. I've sent an email to Olympus technical support and hope to here from them tomorrow.

Craig
Old 24th January 2017

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Re: 9-18 firmware upgrade fail

Well I have to send the lens in to Olympus and pay to have the firmware reinstalled, they say the lens and the computer must have lost communication during the download and NG stands for no good, they also advised that I use Olympus viewer 3 for my updates and not the Olympus firmware updater as its more reliable, I wish they advised this on the updater.

Craig
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craig For This Useful Post:
iso (24th January 2017), peak4 (7th February 2017)
Old 24th January 2017

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Thanks for sharing Olympus's advice to use Olympus Viewer 3 rather than the firmware updater. I have always used the latter so I will have to change.
Old 24th January 2017

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
Thanks for sharing Olympus's advice to use Olympus Viewer 3 rather than the firmware updater. I have always used the latter so I will have to change.
No bother Mike, the lens was bought second had and reading their terms and conditions on the firmware installer I new if anything went wrong you're not covered but to be told they put it down to "user error" when they admit the updater is not as reliable as viewer 3 seems a bit unfair. Luckily my 2 pro lenses updated OK just before it.

Craig
The Following User Says Thank You to craig For This Useful Post:
iso (24th January 2017)
Old 24th January 2017

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

Sounds a very unreasonable reply from Olympus. How can it "user Error"?
Old 3rd February 2017

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Wow! I just got a quote to repair the lens for the sum of 129.56, seems very unreasonable considering I followed their instructions for the firmware upgrade to the letter, I'll give them a phone on Monday but at the end of the day they've got you stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Craig
The Following User Says Thank You to craig For This Useful Post:
Hemlockwood (3rd February 2017)
Old 3rd February 2017

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I was going to ascertain whether the 9-18 lens I bought from a fellow member required a firmware update. I think I will give it miss just in case it does. The charge is very unreasonable.
Old 7th February 2017

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Well a bit of good news, after an email and a phone call to let Olympus know I was unhappy at the price of repair considering the damage was caused by a firmware upgrade I received a phone call from them to apologize for the mix up in repair costs and the price was now 37, quite a difference, anyway hopefully I'll have my lens back soon

Craig
The Following Users Liked This Post:
art frames (7th February 2017), Hemlockwood (7th February 2017), OM USer (7th February 2017)
Old 7th February 2017

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
Well a bit of good news, after an email and a phone call to let Olympus know I was unhappy at the price of repair considering the damage was caused by a firmware upgrade I received a phone call from them to apologize for the mix up in repair costs and the price was now 37, quite a difference, anyway hopefully I'll have my lens back soon

Craig
That's good news. Once properly engaged, I find Oly service to be quite excellent.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
craig (7th February 2017)