Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22nd January 2009
grumpy69
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hawk attack

This what I think is a Vulture Hawk attacked a large crab while I was about to take a picture of the crab. Taken in Cuba a couple of weeks ago.

1


2


3


4


5


6


7


8


9
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22nd January 2009
sapper sapper is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Leigh on Sea, Essex
Posts: 5,003
Thanks: 184
Thanked 451 Times in 254 Posts
Likes: 401
Liked 946 Times in 363 Posts
Re: Hawk attack

WOW! Did the vulture get the crab?
__________________
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22nd January 2009
Imageryone Imageryone is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Suffolk,England
Posts: 4,934
Thanks: 1,101
Thanked 797 Times in 755 Posts
Likes: 656
Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts
Re: Hawk attack

Incredible how the Hawk holds the crabs fighting claw down to the ground as it attacks.
A sequence to be proud of.
__________________
The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23rd January 2009
Nick Temple-Fry's Avatar
Nick Temple-Fry Nick Temple-Fry is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 4,395
Thanks: 17
Thanked 190 Times in 142 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Hawk attack

A great sequence to capture and congratulations are in order.

It's a pity they are not in the gallery so we could see the exif and guess at the lens used.

In terms of Looking For Perfection - well there is much surplus detail around the scene so I suspect it could do with judicious cropping to highten the impact - of course what you can do depends on whether these images are the full shot (which I suspect) or already crop'd.

Nick
__________________
Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23rd January 2009
grumpy69
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Hawk attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
A great sequence to capture and congratulations are in order.

It's a pity they are not in the gallery so we could see the exif and guess at the lens used.

In terms of Looking For Perfection - well there is much surplus detail around the scene so I suspect it could do with judicious cropping to highten the impact - of course what you can do depends on whether these images are the full shot (which I suspect) or already crop'd.

Nick
Thank you for you comments I am really chuffed with with these I was so excited at catching these shots I paid the computer man in our hotel to download them onto disc, shame I didn't get the shot of him flying away holding the crab in his claws but it happened so quickly. I used a 14-54 lense on my 520 I don't think I croped any of these shots I think they are as shot. Not bad for me eh I don't know how to put pics into the gallery yet.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23rd January 2009
shenstone's Avatar
shenstone shenstone is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 3,371
Thanks: 166
Thanked 318 Times in 242 Posts
Likes: 408
Liked 505 Times in 279 Posts
Re: Hawk attack

An interesting sequence - well done for capturing it

I think in terms of looking for perfection that Nick is right and there needs to be one dramatic shot.

I think number 4 could be the one that has the potential to do some more with. The poses of both creatures are good and the birds eye looks in focus. Pulling it in tight may allow you to play with levels and contrast to increase the drama


BTW - Adding pictures to your gallery is easy - when you slect gallery you see an upload pictures option on the right and the screens take you through the flow - 800 * 600 and up to about 200k is OK

Adding them to your posts is then very easy as the "my Pics" option to the right of the text entry box does all the hard work

Regards
Andy
__________________
My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23rd January 2009
grumpy69
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Hawk attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
An interesting sequence - well done for capturing it

I think in terms of looking for perfection that Nick is right and there needs to be one dramatic shot.

I think number 4 could be the one that has the potential to do some more with. The poses of both creatures are good and the birds eye looks in focus. Pulling it in tight may allow you to play with levels and contrast to increase the drama


BTW - Adding pictures to your gallery is easy - when you slect gallery you see an upload pictures option on the right and the screens take you through the flow - 800 * 600 and up to about 200k is OK

Adding them to your posts is then very easy as the "my Pics" option to the right of the text entry box does all the hard work

Regards
Andy
Thanks Andy for info on pics to the gallery I will give it a go when I have a bit of time
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23rd January 2009
Ellie Ellie is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SW Hants, UK
Posts: 2,382
Thanks: 62
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hawk attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
Incredible how the Hawk holds the crabs fighting claw down to the ground as it attacks.
A sequence to be proud of.
What they said!

Another set for the newspapers perhaps?
__________________
- my pictures -
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:43 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger