Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 7th November 2016

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Rear dial problem

My EM1 has had the dreaded rear wheel problem for some time now. I seem to remember reading on this forum of owners who have had this issue repaired even though the camera was outside the two year warranty period. I hope that this is the case as it seems to be a long standing issue although for me it has been relative recent (within the last six months). I did email Olympus about this and the reply was that any repair under the Service Plus outside of two years would be charged for. I wouldn't be happy about this!
Can anyone comment on this?

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 7th November 2016

Liked 545 Times in 187 Posts
Re: Rear dial problem

If you registered your EM1 you should have a 2.5 years warranty. If it's more than 2 and a half years then I would insist they do it for free as it is a known fault. You could get a list of people from this forum who have had the repair done, including me.
Old 7th November 2016

Liked 456 Times in 204 Posts

Dave,
I thought that Service Plus added 6 months free warranty extension (to the basic 2 year period).
My E-M1 went on it's 'holiday' to Portugal for the rear dial problem in late March 2016 - approx 28.5 months after purchase and was repaired FOC under warranty. The only test I had to pass for this was to confirm that this was the first warranty claim made for that particular camera.
Old 7th November 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

It doesn't matter how old the camera is, it's a design or a quality issue (QC or material defect) and should be repaired free of charge. Olympus have failed badly here; no fix, no future purchase of their brand; their attitude is alienating the camera purchasing community. Shabby, shabby performance, Olympus, get real!!

on flickr
Old 7th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Dave,
I thought that Service Plus added 6 months free warranty extension (to the basic 2 year period).
My E-M1 went on it's 'holiday' to Portugal for the rear dial problem in late March 2016 - approx 28.5 months after purchase and was repaired FOC under warranty. The only test I had to pass for this was to confirm that this was the first warranty claim made for that particular camera.
Well I have had it since November 2013 so three years. It is not the first time it will have needed repairs as in summer 2015 I had one of the strap eyelets come adrift (another known issue). I will try insisting that it is repaired for free due to the large number of owners with the same problem. Wish me luck!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 9th November 2016

Liked 686 Times in 361 Posts

Unfortunately I had to pay for it.

All my garbage so far.
Old 9th November 2016

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Well I have had it since November 2013 so three years. It is not the first time it will have needed repairs as in summer 2015 I had one of the strap eyelets come adrift (another known issue). I will try insisting that it is repaired for free due to the large number of owners with the same problem. Wish me luck!
I still appear to have 3 years extra warranty, so you could mention that too. The dials and lugs are both design failures and should be repaired free for the life of the product. I check my lugs regularly, and spin my dials when switched off to keep the contacts clean, and have been lucky so far! Good luck Dave.

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
Old 3rd December 2016

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

Just got my EM-1 back from Portugal.
Away 1 week, rear dial replaced, camera cleaned and updated.
I've had it 18 months, found out about this problem on this thread.
I also discovered when phoning Olympus I had signed up for Service plus.
Fixed FOC.
Many thanks to OLympus helpline and Olympus Europe repair centre.
Happy bunny.

Lots of toys.
Old 13th December 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Just wondering whether you had any luck with Olympus yet? I've had the same problem for a while now, and it is getting worse. I discussed it with Olympus sales a couple of weeks ago when attending a Mk2 demo, and they were very sympathetic, promising to get back to me within 10 days. Nothing heard yet. My camera was also purchased November 2013, so is out of warranty. I'd be interested in how yours is resolved.
Old 13th December 2016

I haven't done anything more about this. Maybe I will after Christmas. It s not a huge problem but it still happens a bit.

Old 13th December 2016

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

I've never had the dial problem (dangerous talk!), but make it a habit to spin both dials a few times regularly when off. This hopefully cleans the contacts a bit, and ensures you're not always using the same ones.

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
Old 13th December 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I haven't done anything more about this. Maybe I will after Christmas. It s not a huge problem but it still happens a bit.
Thanks for the update. Your situation sounds very like mine. I'm trying to cope for as long as I can, but I think it will need attention soon.
Old 13th December 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
I've never had the dial problem (dangerous talk!), but make it a habit to spin both dials a few times regularly when off. This hopefully cleans the contacts a bit, and ensures you're not always using the same ones.
I hope that you continue to be lucky. I am using the 'dial spinning' technique to keep things going, but it only helps a bit.
Old 13th December 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Optical encoders would be less problematic. Let's hope the 'flagship' EM1 MkII uses the more robust technology.

on flickr
Old 15th December 2016

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I had the same problem with my EM-1.
Sent from Italian Olympus assistance center to Portugal I recevedei repaired after 20 days.
I spent 120 euros for change the rear spin and for a general inside cleaning.
Hope that after this "travel" the problem disappear for ever!
Giuseppe