Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 28th October 2016

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts
New Mac Book Pro

No thank you. I appreciate progress and love what is going on with it. But its a move too quickly in my opinion to change to all USB-C format ports and remove the SD slot. Once the standard is adopted in a year or so, then perhaps it'll be more viable but for now I'll be sticking with my older one with SD, standard USD, HDMI and magsafe.

A step too far too soon for Apple? Dongle-ised life isn't for me and with the price point moving up significantly I wonder if many others will feel the same in the consumer space.
Grimbleweed (2nd November 2016)
Old 28th October 2016

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts
Re: New Mac Book Pro

Your observation is one of the many that others have also become annoyed with the so called 'upgrades,' namely a lack of ports, earphone connections and changing charging cables being some of the more annoying.

I have 2008 Apple Pro laptop and even on that, I wonder what the thoughts behind removing some of the access point like SD slota are supposed to achieve? other than feeding the ego's of control freaks and, unless we forget, the all powerful 'KERCHING?'

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 28th October 2016

Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37799235 and up in price by 500
The Following User Says Thank You to rsh1960 For This Useful Post:
rosiebud (1st November 2016)
Old 28th October 2016

With price rises such as these, I've no doubt the Chinese workforce will be in line for huge pay rises. .

The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (30th October 2016)
Old 28th October 2016

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

A lot of the price rise is due to British isolationism
drmarkf (29th October 2016), Jim Ford (28th October 2016), Shaw (28th October 2016)
Old 29th October 2016

Liked 1,519 Times in 750 Posts

As a long time mac user I am not impressed. How many months even years before other vendors apps make use of the touch screen function bar? How many adapters do you have to buy to connect all you existing peripherals?

I am fed up with apple prioritising functionality to make it easier to buy stuff, rather than adding useful features.

On top of that the latest version of the operating system is so full of unnecessary time wasting features, like SIRI, that it slows down your system if you are on a slow internet connection. I am probably going to go back and re-install the previous OS version and stay there.

My Flickr
Old 29th October 2016

@ Wornish - Your last comment is one reason of why on the Apple side of things I reversed OS updates and settled with Snow Leopard. The other was that I have the OS software on disk(s) so no future problems with being stuck with an OS I don't like.

Conspiracy theory - SIRI and Cortana and their alternative derivatives are secretly passing your personal info onto 'Big Brother.' Now 'they' know that we know that they know the we know.

Same goes for M$. where I have remained with W7 as I found W10 so annoying by continuing to re-download stuff I didn't want. Seems the 'option' to make a decision on what I want as to opposed to what they think I want / need, has been removed from the equation.Then again, WTF do I know what I want?

Last edited by Wally; 29th October 2016 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Added final riposte
Naughty Nigel (30th October 2016)
Old 29th October 2016

Liked 1,519 Times in 750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
@ Wornish - Your last comment is one reason of why on the Apple side of things I reversed OS updates and settled with Snow Leopard. The other was that I have the OS software on disk(s) so no future problems with being stuck with an OS I don't like.

Conspiracy theory - SIRI and the alternative derivatives are secretly passing your personal info onto 'Big Brother.' Now 'they' know that we know that they know the we know.

Same goes for M$. where I have remained with W7 as I found W10 so annoying by continuing to re-download stuff I didn't want. Seems the 'option' to make a decision on what I want as to opposed to what they think I want / need, has been removed from the equation.

Totally agree. I also have a windows 10 laptop and it spends more time "updating" than doing anything else.

My Flickr
Old 29th October 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Totally agree. I also have a windows 10 laptop and it spends more time "updating" than doing anything else.
Same here - fed up with it. There was a major upgrade a few weeks back and it caused havoc with my machine and settings. I'm still sorting the mess out. On top of that, there was a flurry of updates in the following days, I can only assume due to bugs. That most of these caused reboots seemingly every time I wanted to "just quickly look at a web-page" just irritated the sh1t out of me!

My desktop is staying at W7 for as long as I can keep it there.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
wornish (29th October 2016)
Old 29th October 2016

Thanked 1,405 Times in 1,297 Posts
Liked 2,335 Times in 1,109 Posts

Same here Paul I stuck with W7 too. Better the devil you know I guess.
Old 29th October 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_kaholik View Post
... remove the SD slot. .
That's a seriously stupid move.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (29th October 2016), MargaretR (29th October 2016)
Old 29th October 2016

Liked 3,046 Times in 875 Posts

I have got a seven year old iMac. It has been excellent and I am pleased that I have been able to update to the latest OS free of charge for the past few years (currently running version 10.12 Sierra.)

I was using the SD port to import my files directly from my card. However, I discovered that the foil and printing were being rubbed off the card as I inserted and removed it. Presumably they ended up somewhere inside the workings of the SD port, which could spell trouble. I have recently been using a USB card reader to import the files, so the loss of the SD port wouldn't matter to me. However, if they are now changing the USB ports that might no longer be an option.

My other half has a new HP laptop running Windows 10 and I do seem to spend a lot of time installing updates for her and restarting. When she first got it, we spent a fortnight trying to get Mail to work and import her archived emails. Apparently the default Mail application doesn't work with her EE broadband account. Mozilla Thunderbird came to the rescue!

Ron
Old 30th October 2016

Liked 2,272 Times in 1,501 Posts

With all of these changes why doesn't Apple add something useful to its laptops - like mobile internet access?

My present Toshiba laptop has built in 4G internet access, as did its two predecessors. This is by no means a new feature and has been available for at least ten years.

When I asked a 'Genius' about this at our local Apple store I was told that it was not a feature that customers ever asked for (presumably they're not professionals then?), and that if I wanted mobile internet access on a MacBook I would need to tether it to an iPad or iPhone. Oh aye! But then why would apple offer mobile 4G for 100 extra when they can sell an iPhone or iPad for several times that amount? Only Apple acolytes would fall for that one.

I also fail to understand why they have to make them so heavy. Even the so called 'Air' is heavier than competitors products, and yet these things are supposed to be portable? (And that is without the plethora of adaptors and special power connectors they need.)

There's nothing 'cool' about a dislocated shoulder.

Oh, and one more thing. Anyone who owns a Windows laptop simply calls it a laptop. Likewise, Android tablet users simply refer to them as tablets. Why then, do Apple users insist on using the full model name when referring to their devices? I never say 'I'll have a look on my Toshiba Portege', so why do Apple users have to say 'I'll have a look on my MacBook Air?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 31st October 2016

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts

I was just about to buy the old one last week when I heard about the new one being released, so I waited. Up from 1999 to 2699! The USB c ports would be of no use or interest to me. No chance, I'll be looking for an old model.

Steve
Old 31st October 2016

Liked 2,272 Times in 1,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
I was just about to buy the old one last week when I heard about the new one being released, so I waited. Up from 1999 to 2699! The USB c ports would be of no use or interest to me. No chance, I'll be looking for an old model.

Steve
Apparently, if you buy a lower spec MacBook with a spinning hard drive you can upgrade the hard drive to SSD, and add extra memory without invalidating the warranty. (Words from a Genius.)

I believe this applies to the current (old) model, but don't know about the others.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Wreckdiver (31st October 2016)