Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 28th February 2016

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts
Sigma's new Foveon mirrorless camera

Sigma joins the mirrorless camera market with the sd Quattro and sd Quattro H cameras. These have Foveon sensors: sd Quattro APS-C (1.5x crop) and the larger sd Quattro H APS-H (1.3x crop).

More at

http://photorumors.com/2016/02/23/ne...igma-sa-mount/

Official release date as yet is unknown.
Old 28th February 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: Sigma's new Foveon mirrorless camera

Should be interesting. If the overall performance of the cameras does justice to the sensors it could put the cat amongst the pigeons.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 28th February 2016

Liked 886 Times in 310 Posts

It's a very interesting development.
My slight misgiving being that they opted for the 35mm frame mount but then it's understandable given some of the excellent Art lenses they have been releasing recently.
It's been rumoured that release date will be summer(ish) for the sd Quattro.

Edit: Sigma propaganda pages here http://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/sd-series/ if anyone is interested (I am )

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 28th February 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

We'll, as much as I enjoyed the image quality of the DP1m whilst I had it, there were some really big issues with it that will need solving if these new cameras are going to succeed. These include:

- Very poor IQ over ISO 400 and pretty gritty at 400
- VERY intolerant to over exposing
- Absolutely dreadful raw processor from Sigma and no support in LR or other such software
- Very slow writing to the memory card
- Appalling battery life. Sometimes as few as 50 shots

I wish them well, but that's a pretty steep hill of problems to climb!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 28th February 2016

Liked 886 Times in 310 Posts

I'll admit I'm a bit of a fan of the Sigma Foveon, so a bit of a response to Paul's observations
Of course as always your mileage may vary depending on your expectations of the camera and it's foibles. I don't think there is any doubt though that the output from these sensors can be stunning.

- Very poor IQ over ISO 400 and pretty gritty at 400
Agreed where the Merrills are concerned although it seems that the Quattro is a good step in the right direction. Also monochrome still looks great to much higher ISOs especially if you focus on the blue channel with Sigma Photo Pro

- VERY intolerant to over exposing
My experience has been that care is needed but the Merrills are not so much worse than the Sony m4/3rds sensor. I have found I'm able to recover a surprising amount of detail in highlights using Sigma Photo Pro.

- Absolutely dreadful raw processor from Sigma and no support in LR or other such software.
Actually I find it OK to use and quite effective (v6.3.2), OK it's relatively slow but using it quite a bit I have begun to appreciate it's capabilities

- Very slow writing to the memory card
Agreed with the Merrill but it doesn't stop you shooting, just reviewing quickly. This again has improved with the Quattro by all accounts and will improve further with the faster processors in the SD.

- Appalling battery life. Sometimes as few as 50 shots
Yes another Merrill trait, unbelievably I have 10 batteries between three cameras, it works though.
It looks like the SD has a much more practical capacity to the battery.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (28th February 2016)
Old 1st March 2016

Liked 82 Times in 30 Posts

Yes, the Sigmas have issues but the images they can take when all parameters are met are unsurpassed in that price range. I have a DP2M and love it but it is only really useful in certain situations. I knew this when I bought it and I am not disappointed. This news is exciting and it will be interesting to see how they perform.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Greytop (1st March 2016)